Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive

Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #241
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Since they're like, the only machines I've ever used in all my life, I'm probably like that person born with a missing limb who doesn't know any different.

I'm still trying to figure out how you people with normal eyesight can possibly see any better than I can. I usually attribute it to magic.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you people with normal eyesight can possibly see any better than I can. I usually attribute it to magic.

It is. It is magic. There's a trick... this one guy knows it. OPTOMETRISTS HATE HIM.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #243
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

But back to pieces of electronic shit, I'm reminded of the bit in that old Flanagan book about how when U2 started out, Edge was using the shittiest, cheapest, nastiest effects gear imaginable, cause they were skint (well at first that was why). But he got this amazing work out of it. Why? He's an artist.

Now he's probably got more state of the art equipment than many minor African republics, but the great work is rarely to be seen.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #244
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Brad Laner created one of my all time favourite shoegaze riffs, "One More" by Medicine, by running his guitar through a four-track recorder as if it were an effects pedal because he was super poor and had very little gear. (It's not for the faint of shoegaze-heart; an ability to endure/appreciate/love the first few minutes is my test of how shoegaze a person is.)

We shouldn't idealise the starving artist but bolts of inspiration and original workarounds that produce startling results rarely occur in a multi-millionaire's high end swanky studio-cum-palace-cum-medium sized town.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 AM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Brad Laner created one of my all time favourite shoegaze riffs, "One More" by Medicine, by running his guitar through a four-track recorder as if it were an effects pedal because he was super poor and had very little gear. (It's not for the faint of shoegaze-heart; an ability to endure/appreciate/love the first few minutes is my test of how shoegaze a person is.)

We shouldn't idealise the starving artist but bolts of inspiration and original workarounds that produce startling results rarely occur in a multi-millionaire's high end swanky studio-cum-palace-cum-medium sized town.
The lesson I draw is to idealise neither the starving artist nor the plush, fat and happy artist, but rather to say that the artist is better than their tools. Always.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:46 AM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
The Cure were very good. As always "One Hundred Years" is a fucking experience live.

We got the Splendour set + a few, which killed any desire I had to fly to Melbourne and see them again. Just watch those fuckers play Just One Kiss...
Old 07-26-2016, 04:13 AM   #247
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:06 AM
I can't see the board if I sit in the black of classrooms.

I mean, yeah, I can...but it's blurrier than it should be.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:36 AM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:06 PM
Quote:
But back to pieces of electronic shit, I'm reminded of the bit in that old Flanagan book about how when U2 started out, Edge was using the shittiest, cheapest, nastiest effects gear imaginable, cause they were skint (well at first that was why). But he got this amazing work out of it. Why? He's an artist.

Now he's probably got more state of the art equipment than many minor African republics, but the great work is rarely to be seen.

Now the Edge uses this unit, which is basically the Cadillac or the Rolls Royce of the effect unit (at least for his guitar)* Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Preamp, effects processor, amp modeler, guitar effects, amp modeling

this unit, ironically, needs constant update on its firmware and software. who knew?

These days there are so many choices of effect units. No need for terrible DIY gear, I guess.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:37 AM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I can't see the board if I sit in the black of classrooms.

I mean, yeah, I can...but it's blurrier than it should be.
you need glasses.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:45 AM   #250
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
you need glasses.
I hate to be at the risk of being too "on the nose", but....cheers, eagle eye
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 AM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
Now the Edge uses this unit, which is basically the Cadillac or the Rolls Royce of the effect unit (at least for his guitar)* Fractal Audio Systems - Axe-Fx II Guitar Processor, Preamp, effects processor, amp modeler, guitar effects, amp modeling

this unit, ironically, needs constant update on its firmware and software. who knew?

These days there are so many choices of effect units. No need for terrible DIY gear, I guess.

Oh I think I'd respect the Edge a lot more if he did use terrible DIY gear. And grew a combover too.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

You know, I never would have thought of myself as someone with any interest in pub rock... and I'm not, really... but bit by bit my obsession with Midnight Oil has taken me back to the cusp of the 1980s and 'Place Without A Postcard'. Even then they were better than pub rock, but that is still, palpably, the world they are slowly emerging from. Love it. Dirty, melodic (more in the guitars than the, ah, singer), powerful. Choice cuts: Lucky Country, Don't Wanna Be The One, Quinella Holiday.

I'm not a muso and so don't discuss music in technical terms, but there's something to be said for a band with two lead guitarists. Television had that too, no?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 AM   #253
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I'm not a muso and so don't discuss music in technical terms, but there's something to be said for a band with two lead guitarists. Television had that too, no?
Yeah, Television had two (lead) guitar players; I can't really think other band with 2 shredders/soloists; Wilco kinda falls into this category but often times Nels is the only one playing, so.......Most bands have dedicated rhythm and lead players. Boring, but works like champ in many bands like ACDC and Metallica.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #254
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

What about Sleater Kinney, or am I dreaming? I believe they don't have a bassist, and I'm pretty sure all of them who aren't the drummer play guitars.

I realised just how much Wilco owe to Television the first time I heard Marquee Moon (the song, but the album applies too). That's not meant in a pejorative way.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:10 AM   #255
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
What about Sleater Kinney, or am I dreaming? I believe they don't have a bassist, and I'm pretty sure all of them who aren't the drummer play guitars.

I realised just how much Wilco owe to Television the first time I heard Marquee Moon (the song, but the album applies too). That's not meant in a pejorative way.
sorry, I'm not too familiar with Slater Kinney but it seems to be that they do have 2 guitar players.

What's amazing is that Nels Cline, Wilco's current lead guitar player, is also heavily influenced by Tom Verlaine. too bad I can't really see guitar duel between Nels and Jeff as Nels often just threads/plays like a madman and Jeff admits that he can't really do that.

randomly, I recently decided to listen to Entroducing, DJ SHadow's debut album. you know what? instrumental hip hop isn't too bad. I like this album immensely

Tags
superthread