Boonoo Boonoo River, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably worse sober if I'm pissed off enough to be discontented by email. I fold like a cheap tent when drunk.

For example, my ex sent me an apology earlier after saying some pretty crap things. Instead of remaining rightly pissed off, I said it was fine and apologised myself.

FUCK.

Nah, when I'm drunk I become far too frank with my opinions. I can remain diplomatic most of the time when I'm sober, or at least choose my audience. Drunk? Oh boy, say farewell to the filter. I'll tell anyone and everyone who I think is an absolute flog and why.

The other problem is that time flies by! I'm not even drinking that much tonight, just some quiet wine after dinner, but now it's getting late and I cannot be fucked going to bed at all. But oh shit I think there's rugby sevens finals on in the morning.

The cat, after all, will rip out your eyeballs and never respect you again.

The girlfriend could be persuaded to respect you again.

I mean, I wouldn't respect you in the first place, but you know... :wink:

Woah, haven't seen you in ages! I'll have a listen when I've got the chance. How are things?

Woah, haven't seen you in ages! I'll have a listen when I've got the chance. How are things?

Things have been crazy busy. Married with a baby make that the case. Especially working full time and spending almost all your free time producing music. But things are going really good!

It really is amazing how dead interference has become. I'm part of another forum that is... like... 10x a many posts as interference in its heyday. If not more. When I come here and see some threads with so little or entire sections neglected, it makes me sad. What the hell happened? Did the assholes chase everyone away?

I think Internet forums in general are on the wane in a big way, with social media overtaking them - especially for a younger crowd. Interference used to always benefit from an injection of youth as people discovered U2 with each new album. That's stopped, partly because few young people are interested in the band any more and those who are probably have little inclination to hunt out a messageboard.

But, see, this other forum I'm a part of is actually growing. Crazy. Then again, I bet more people are guitar players than U2 fans, so I guess I can see it.

I think Internet forums in general are on the wane in a big way, with social media overtaking them - especially for a younger crowd. Interference used to always benefit from an injection of youth as people discovered U2 with each new album. That's stopped, partly because few young people are interested in the band any more and those who are probably have little inclination to hunt out a messageboard.
yeah, i think at least to a degree, tumblr has overtaken forums for discussion of fandoms as a whole. it's harder to have discussions (although they have added the messaging feature finally), but you can reblog a post and add text. they did away with that feature but then came to their senses and added it back. despite not following any u2 blogs on there, i still have a couple people i follow that are big u2 fans and they're pretty young, like high school age. so if tumblr didn't exist, i'm sure they'd be posting here (probably on pleba sry2say).

I do miss forum culture - Tumblr's fun, but it feels impersonal, I find it harder to develop friendships through it. Just oh hey yeah I'll follow you back and we'll reblog each others shit once in a while. I dunno, I just kinda feel that way with social media in general. Forums were a safe space where I could get away and have a laugh for a bit, social media's just so 24/7 and public that it messes with my head and makes me self-conscious.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I miss all the friendships I used to make when the forums I visited were more active, the camaraderie of those places.

Maybe I'm just not looking far enough for where good threaded discussions still exist. I know a bunch of people who reckon Reddit is the place to be but my god does it have its cesspools.

I've probably been musing on it too much, all the forums I used to visit and the friendships I made, this is pretty much the only one I still talk to people from. Sure, friendships have drifted apart for as long as friendship has existed, but there's just something weird about it in the internet age, as we see the norms shift, to think of spending all this time talking to someone on the other side of the world about everything just cause you were into the same shit for six months and then never hearing from them again.

I feel like public platforms like twitter and tumblr really benefit extroverts more than previous trends too, I mean I don't have a problem with them but I just freak out too much every time I start a new twitter account, like I wanna let loose and have a laugh about everything like I do here but now I'm worried I'll get screencapped on Buzzfeed and it'll be all I'm ever remembered for.

Sorry, this is some downer shit - I gotta do some work! When I'm back, I hope there is a thing that makes me Happy.

I suppose what helps on a forum is the sense of community, so even if you are quiet or introverted initially, if you stick around for long enough you become a regular fixture. On social media, sure you may pick up some followers because you said one thing they like, but there's much less common ground, nor any place where you will regularly interact - in an age where posting shit-tonnes is acceptable rather than spam, you disappear very quickly on someone's timeline. There's nowhere to be a regular; a discussion around one event is old news within a couple of hours and if you're not around for it you're screwed.

Wait, this isn't Happy. I'm not sure I really do Happy though! Now, if you want Cynical...

yeah, i'm too introverted and anxious to really be a part of a clique. i've got people on there that i talk to and have befriended on fb, but as per usual no one i'm super close with, although others on there have made that connection with someone, usually over several shared things. i'm probably just too old for that. sure i like the same music as my mutuals, but i've got a good 10+ years on nearly all of them.

it reminds me of being on here, watching everyone become besties with everyone else :lol: :depressed:

That feeling when you're too old for the Internet.

Actually I think I'm just a grumpy cunt.

I've accidentally flirted my way into a bedroom today.

All by being who I normally am. Nothing came from it (which is good because I'd have lost a quality study partner), but it's good fun.

I also lament forums going by the wayside. It's just a shame because it suits a group of nutcases like ourselves. I cling to the few I visit in a big way.

For me these days it's basically just this and RYM, and RYM has always been impersonal. I've made little more than shallow connections there.

I wouldn't mind some new forums in my life but I struggle to think of what I care about that has enough interest to sustain a decent forum, including a decent social side not focused on its core interest. If Interference were just focused on U2, I'd have vanished years ago.

Fuck. Just missed out on a job for which I thought I was an extremely strong candidate. Not even an interview.

Same for everybody else I know who applied, some of whom were very strong applicants. Turns out they all expected myself and a woman I graduated with to be very likely to get it (there were multiple vacancies). None of us can believe that not a single person we know has been offered an interview and can't figure out who on earth has been.

Fucking hell. The main project I'm attached to ends in a few months. I'm on another but it won't last long into next year. I'm now really worried where the work is going to come from. Sure, I have some other applications under consideration at the moment but this was THE one. Academia is so fucking brutal that normally I put in an application already convinced it will be rejected. Not this time; I was actually optimistic.

I'm so bloodyminded I will keep going but this is a huge kick in the guts. I normally don't say much when I get knocked back but good god tonight I'll probably just drink a vineyard.

Yeah, so last night I smashed a bottle of wine and now I'm working on a brewery. This one really hurts. Why did I choose this ridiculous career path. Maybe I should have stuck with political science; then I could have easily moved into diplomacy or the public service if academia didn't work out. But I know what I want to do, and fuck it I'm not going to die wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom