books - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 01-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Local Time: 12:50 PM

i posted this but made major typo's with the title thread. I was just interested to hear of any good books that others have read. Last year I read We need to tak about Kevin and The Time Traveller's wife and they both stood out as really good reads. Anyone got any books that they think others should read. Adrian Mole was also fab if only for the irony and general fab writing of Sue Townsend.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:50 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone's probably read this, but To Kill A Mockingbird is my all-time favorite book, along with The Da Vinci Code. If you havent read those two, get goin!!

Old 01-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Local Time: 09:50 AM
Since I'm getting married in August, I've been reading "Men Are From Mars - Women Are From Venus". It is helping unlock a few secrets to a successful relationship and understanding women just a tiny bit.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:50 AM
I got some great books (so people have told me) for Christmas, but I'm trying to save them until my spring vacation in April....

Right now I'm just reading "Trace" by Patricia Cornwell. She's very popular and writes rec reading books of the crime/murder investigation genre. "Trace" is one of her latest books in an on-going series about a medical examiner from Virginia (fictional). They read really fast; it's a lot like watching CSI. I usually read on my lunch hour at work.

My favorite classic is "The Great Gatsby." My current favorite authors are Scott Turow, Philip Pullman, Patricia Cornwell, and some dead theologians that bore most people to insanity (Friedrich Schleiermacher, Jonathan Edwards, and Dietrich Bonhoeffer).
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:20 AM
"El tunel" Ernesto Sábato, very very good, if you can find a translation you will be
Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
I'm currently "reading" Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Meaning I power read the first 250 pages in about 3 hours, and haven't touched the book in about 3 weeks. I'm so weird like that though. I'll eventually pick it up again and finish it in a day or two, and it's not because it's not a good book. On the contrary, so far it's been one of the best King books I've ever read.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
I'm currently reading "Hamlet," but my favorites are by Laurie R. King. She has a series based of Sherlock Holmes. I'm in love with it!

And To Kill A Mockingbird is AMAZING!!!

So is The Great Gatsby. That's a must-read.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor
Every time someone brave starts a thread about books, it ends up sinking off the first page in no time. Alas.

I'm in a reading slump right now, but last year I read 85 books.

Yes, I'm a homebody that loves to sit around, listen to music, and read.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
reading is sexy!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
I read ceaselessly....and while I do not have a count of how many books I devour, more than any of my other interests, be it film or music or sports or travel, I love reading. It helps tune out the noise of my life, and activates a part of my brain that otherwise lies dormant. I could sit here and list tons of books and authors, but, without knowing your tastes, it would just be a case of me listing stuff just to list it. I'll say that my favorite classic author is Steinbeck, and my favorite book of his is East of Eden.

And, I'll toss this out there....if anyone on here ever wants to talk books more in depth, please, feel free to PM me...I know tons of sports fanatics, and music fanatics, but, I rarely get to talk books with people besides a few friends and my Dad, who passed his love of books on to me. I won't hold my breath, but, maybe one or two of you will want to discuss titles or authors.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:50 AM
I'm currently reading "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman. After that I'll be reading "Christ the Lord" by Anne Rice, and then "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier
Well, screw reading "Soldier of Sidon" by Gene Wolfe, who is in my opinion the smartest and best writer of speculative fiction out there. Before that, read Mission Song by John LeCarre....and up next is likely The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. Best book I've read in months was The Road by Cormac McCarthy, who is just a towering literary figure.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 04:50 AM
I love to read as well. My mom taught me at a very young age, and I've always loved books, and am passionate about reading. We lived in a pretty isolated area for a few years, so I would read anything I could get my hands on. I've read everything from the encyclopedia to the textbooks my dad had from his grad school days.

I'll read pretty much everything, but my favourites would have to be Jane Austen and anything to do with Russian history.

I'm currently reading Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. It's fantastic so far, and I highly recommend it. I'm not sure what I'll pick up once I'm done with that, but we'll see.
Insert something interesting here
Old 01-27-2007, 02:16 AM   #14
War Child
Local Time: 12:50 PM
At the moment im reading a book for school this year called looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta

Its was also made into a movie both a very good
Old 01-27-2007, 02:40 AM   #15
love, blood, life
Local Time: 01:50 AM
Anything by David Sedaris. Anything.

Especially Me Talk Pretty One Day and Naked.

books, reading