books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see a list of everyone's top 10 favorite novels. Yes, I know its hard. Do it.

In no order:

Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury
Time Enough For Love, Robert Heinlein
Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace
Tender is the Night, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Franny & Zooey, J.D. Salinger
Jitterbug Perfume, Tom Robbins
A Prayer for Owen Meany, John Irving
This Immortal, Roger Zelazny
Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
Neuromancer, William Gibson

I'll try and come up with a full list of 10 later. But, even though it's at the risk of being a cliche, I'm pretty sure that Catcher in the Rye is my all-time favorite novel.

Top 10? Hmm...

In no particular order:

1. The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
2. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
3. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
4. Titus Groan - Mervyn Peake*
5. Small Gods - Terry Pratchett*
6. The Good Terrorist - Doris Lessing
7. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
8. The Twelve Chairs - Ilf and Petrov
9. Perfume - Patrick Suskind
10. The Sparrow - Maria Doria Russell

* Since I couldn't list Gormenghast and Discworld series, I tried to pick a favourite book from each.

Where's your list?

I don't know if it's hard for me to compile a top 10, or actually impossible. A top 100 would be simpler, sadly.

Yes, I know its hard. Do it.

In no particular order (except for the first one):

1. The Brothers K - David James Duncan
2. Collected Fictions - Jorge Luis Borges (I know I'm breaking my own rules, but he's my favorite)
3. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
4. If on a winter's night a traveler - Italo Calvino
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling
6. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
7. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon
8. Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
9. Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salman Rushdie
10. The Road - Cormac McCarthy (I hate to put books that I have read so recently on to an all time favorites list, but I don't know if I can keep this one off).

Yes, I know its hard. Do it.

In no particular order (except for the first one):

1. The Brothers K - David James Duncan
2. Collected Fictions - Jorge Luis Borges (I know I'm breaking my own rules, but he's my favorite)
3. East of Eden - John Steinbeck
4. If on a winter's night a traveler - Italo Calvino
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - JK Rowling
6. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
7. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon
8. Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
9. Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Salman Rushdie
10. The Road - Cormac McCarthy (I hate to put books that I have read so recently on to an all time favorites list, but I don't know if I can keep this one off).

Sadly, my list will have at least two from your list. Possibly three.

Dalton, when did "Everyone Poops" drop out of your Top 10?

Also, seeing Rowling sandwiched between Calvino and Marquez made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Here is my top ten.

2 things:

A) This is a list of my ten favorites. I am not trying to say they are the "best" novels of all-time, not even close.

B) I read everything from total crap to Joyce or Proust, but, if I'm honest about it all, I don't enjoy Joyce or Proust. I'll keep reading books that I "should" read, because there are reasons these books are beloved and recommended....and I wind up loving some o them of course, but, my list will probably not reflect refined tastes or anything.

In no particular order, except for #1:

1) The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand (I am not a Randian or an Objectivist, nor do I agree with everything Rand had to say/believed in...but I agree with enough to the point that this book, when I first stumbled upon it in HS, had a major impact on me)

2) The Road - Cormac MCarthy (This book left me feeling drained and empty but a little hopeful, too. A true experience.)

3) All of the Sun Cycle Books - Gene Wolfe (Three sets of books, so this might be cheating, but whatever. The best SF/Fantasy writer alive and his Books of the New Sun are amazing, and what follows does not suck, either)

4) Dune - Frank Herbert (Amazing piece of Sci-Fi. Included not just an entirely realized fictional backdrop, but also included commentary on government, religion and the ecology. Seminal work).

5) East of Eden - My favorite book from one of my favorite "classic" authors.

6) The World According to Garp (This could have just as easily been Owen Meaney, but, Laz makes me sick. Irving has lost a bit of his magic touch his last few books, but, so many of his titles have found me enthralled.)

7) A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess (Love the book, love the film).

8) The Stand - Stephen King (A lot of people hate on King. Whatever. I love this book)

9) 1984 - George Orwell (Dystopian societies seem to appeal to me)

10) Shogun - James Clavell (Has a bit of everything: Action, adventure, romance, some loose historical fiction....and, I've always been fascinated with Japan, be it modern day Tokyo, or Feudal Osaka)

Honorable mention to 100 Years of Solitude, I, Claudius, Great Expectations, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Silmarillion, Catch-22, Cloud Atlas and The Sweet Hereafter and tons of others, surely.

I'm appalled that you were reluctant to share Owen with me, but easily hopped into bed with Dalton and Cal. I'm trying to decide which Irving to read next; Garp, The Water-Method Man, or Setting Free the Bears. I have a bunch of his shit that is unread.

And The Fountainhead nearly made my list, as it had a huge impact on me as well. I just don't imagine myself slogging through it again any time soon, especially when I haven't taken on Atlas Shrugged yet.

I'm appalled that you were reluctant to share Owen with me, but easily hopped into bed with Dalton and Cal. I'm trying to decide which Irving to read next; Garp, The Water-Method Man, or Setting Free the Bears. I have a bunch of his shit that is unread.

And The Fountainhead nearly made my list, as it had a huge impact on me as well. I just don't imagine myself slogging through it again any time soon, especially when I haven't taken on Atlas Shrugged yet.

I've read every Rand work. Atlas Shrugged is the one that requires more "slogging" through than The Fountainhead. There's a 56 page speech by the main character, so, yeah, that takes some work. I love that book, too, but The Fountainhead is easier reading, and works better as a novel than Atlas does.

I'd have hopped into bed with you, but I did not want to crush Lance.

The only Rand book I've read is Anthem. I recall being among the very few in the high school class who liked it.

I'll come up with some sort of list later. If nothing else, it will be a list of books I've read in the past few years that have loved.

As for now ...

#55 America America by Ethan Canin

I really liked this book. New England in the early '70s. Local working class boy gets taken in by a local family of history, wealth, and power, and gets drawn into political campaigns, scandal and coverups.

They might as well have called the main political character Ted Kennedy and then gone on to talk about Chappaquiddick and Mary Jo Kopechne as opposed to the fictional names and events the author used, but anyone who tries to deny the history the book is taken from is either an idiot or a liar.

But I was totally sucked in from the first chapter - great characters.

I have Twilight on hold at the library ... but am something like #300 on the wait list. Heh.

I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.

I just came here specifically to see if anyone's mentioned this series. We heard about it on SF, Sarah started reading them (for the same reasons the SFers did) and then she talked me into reading them. I've been working my way through the series over the past week, and I'm just now 300 pages into the new release.

The SFers are right. :crack: But, there is something about them that compels you to keep reading.
There is currently much wank going on in the fandom. I haven't read it yet, but Sarah says it's entertaining. :wink:

(If you don't want to wait, I have the files :shifty: )

1. Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
3. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
4. The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (breaking the rules....:reject: )
5. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
6. Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
7. The Handmaid's Tale by Marget Atwood (minus the epilogue :yuck: )
8. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
10. Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

...I think.

I hate HATE Ayn Rand's masturbatory exercises that she likes to call books. I must have been the only teenager who read them and thought "what a crock of shit!"

But I also really disliked Catcher in the Rye which the rest of my 11th grade English class was salivating all over. :shrug:

My favourites, in no particular order:

Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities. I have more of an emotional attachment to Oliver Twist, since it was the first grown up book I read, but Tale is funnier and more charming, IMO.

Faulkner - Light in August. Because it's so beautiful.

de Saint-Exupery - The Little Prince. I read this book every year and it never loses its appeal. But you have to get the original illustrated version to fully experience it, I think. I've also read it in French.

Nabokov - Lolita. I still find it very disturbing, but I really like his literary style. There are some gorgeous passages.

Theroux - Dark Star Safari. A must read for everyone who is intrigued by Africa. Funny and heartbreaking tale of the decrepit place we have allowed it to become in the last half a century.

Hesse - Siddhartha. Actually Narcissus and Goldmund is a far better book, but there is a particular line that Siddhartha says to Kamala that had a lot of impact on me, and continues to do so today.

Irving - The World According to Garp. This is my indulgence. Funny, witty, didn't want to put it down. The movie sucked.

Conrad - Heart of Darkness. I read it after I read Theroux's book and I think I probably liked it a lot more because of that.

Coelho - The Alchemist. Because I read it at a point in my life when I needed to believe in things bigger than myself.

Machiavelli - The Prince. Everyone should read it, lots of social value, even today.

Shute - On the Beach. Mostly because I like books that make me think about them long after I've finished reading. What would you do in your last days here?

Did you read The Little Friend?

I really like both of Tartt's books. I wish she'd write more.

VP - my only exposure to any wank online about the new Twilight book was a thread in a Live Journal community where it was basically pages and pages of comments about how awful it was, and like it was total Twilight fanfic.

Now I'm even more curious to read the first book. I've read a lot of negative things about them. I'd like to see for myself, but I'm very amused by the wank. ;)

Eh, here it is, in no particular order:

The Stand - Stephen King
Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Lolita -Vladimir Nabokov
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
The Golden Compass/His Dark Materials trilogy - Phillip Pullman
The Harry Potter series - JKR
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
American Gods - Neil Gaiman
1984 - George Orwell

I'm sure if I put more time into thinking of it, the list would change somewhat. It's almost a list of favourite authors, as much as it is favourite books. I could have included any of several books by King, Rushdie, Vonnegut, Gaiman and Garcia Marquez. As well, I know I cheated by including two series, but it's really hard for me to choose a favourite from each. I tend to think of each as more of a whole than as separate novels. Also, many are books that I've either read or reread in the past 10 years. I'm positive that I've read good books before that, I just can't recall them right now.

I really like both of Tartt's books. I wish she'd write more.

VP - my only exposure to any wank online about the new Twilight book was a thread in a Live Journal community where it was basically pages and pages of comments about how awful it was, and like it was total Twilight fanfic.

Now I'm even more curious to read the first book. I've read a lot of negative things about them. I'd like to see for myself, but I'm very amused by the wank. ;)

Like I said, I have the files... :tempts:

She's signed up for a bunch of LJ communities just to read the wank! I'm forcing myself to abstain till I've finished.

You know what I was thinking about today? You know in the beginning of the Da Vinci code when that guy gets shot or stabbed or whatever, and then he uses his blood to draw a map or a clock and then dies in a CERTAIN GODDAMN POSITION to give clues to people who are coming? I was thinking of that and how much I hated that goddamn stupid book. Ugh.

Anyway...

Ayn Rand - I liked Atlas Shrugged when I was younger, but as I've gotten older it seems somewhat foolish to me. Idealistically, it's probably a great idea, but it has no practical application, really.

You know what I was thinking about today? You know in the beginning of the Da Vinci code when that guy gets shot or stabbed or whatever, and then he uses his blood to draw a map or a clock and then dies in a CERTAIN GODDAMN POSITION to give clues to people who are coming? I was thinking of that and how much I hated that goddamn stupid book. Ugh.

Anyway...

Ayn Rand - I liked Atlas Shrugged when I was younger, but as I've gotten older it seems somewhat foolish to me. Idealistically, it's probably a great idea, but it has no practical application, really.

It depends on which of her ideals you're referring to. There's not one line of thought to her work. I find practical applications from some of the things she believed in/I believed in daily. :shrug:

The Da Vinci Code is a fucking sick joke.

It depends on which of her ideals you're referring to. There's not one line of thought to her work. I find practical applications from some of the things she believed in/I believed in daily. :shrug:

The Da Vinci Code is a fucking sick joke.

The ideal that if you're not going to give me the proper respect and fee to use my train I'm going to move to a fantasy world that you can't find NA NA NA NA NA. That one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom