books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he's like Tolkien only instead of hating on Orcs and other abominations, Clancy drops mad hate on the enemies of Freedom - the enemies of the U-S-A!!! Like he used to hate the Russians, then he hated on the Irish for a bit, then back to the russians. Now he's all about hating the current terrorists.

If Clancy were President, we'd not be THE UNITED STATES OF RECESSION. We'd be kicking ass, taking names, re-kicking ass, changing everyone's name, annexing Canada, drilling for oil wherever we chose, outlawing soccer, speaking American and eating Hamburgers.

If Clancy were President, we'd not be THE UNITED STATES OF RECESSION. We'd be kicking ass, taking names, re-kicking ass, changing everyone's name, annexing Canada, drilling for oil wherever we chose, outlawing soccer, speaking American and eating Hamburgers.

I don't think Clancy would even waste time with the name taking. He'd go right from the ass kicking to the ass kicking to the annexing.

I don't think Clancy would even waste time with the name taking. He'd go right from the ass kicking to the ass kicking to the annexing.

But, don't you think that he'd want to erect Mt. Ass-kick, and have the names of every vanquished American foe etched into the living rock of Stonehenge?

I actually don't have a lot of love for Hemingway the novelist. I love his short stories, but I don't feel that his style translates well to the longer narrative.

I will argue to the death that Duncan's "The Brothers K" is the greatest American novel.

I would also argue that Twain is the father of modern American literature.

I'll argue that you're the father of Lance's half-brother.

I actually agree with this entire post.

There's a surprise.

I haven't read as much Dickens as you, but there seems to be a heavy amount of providence in much of these stories, which would lead me to think he's not very anti-religious He's showing a cruel world, but doesn't write like god is indifferent to it. None of these endings are bleak in terms of the fates of the main characters.

Now Twain, that's another story. Man was BITTER, and rightfully so.

I'll argue that you're the father of Lance's half-brother.

There's a surprise.

I haven't read as much Dickens as you, but there seems to be a heavy amount of providence in much of these stories, which would lead me to think he's not very anti-religious He's showing a cruel world, but doesn't write like god is indifferent to it. None of these endings are bleak in terms of the fates of the main characters.

Now Twain, that's another story. Man was BITTER, and rightfully so.

To be clear...Dickens had his personal religious beliefs, but was troubled by dogmatic attitudes towards religion and always preached a very liberal interpretation of then New Testament.

... replace stonehenge with the carbonite prisons of one Harrison Ford. .

That might possibly be the greatest idea of all time.

Since this is a book thread, I just finished Mysterious Flame of Queen Luana by Umberto Ecco and I didn't like it. I really had hope for Eco, but now, not so much. Maybe I'l try name of the Rose next and build a solid foundation on which to base my opinion of the man.

That might possibly be the greatest idea of all time.

Since this is a book thread, I just finished Mysterious Flame of Queen Luana by Umberto Ecco and I didn't like it. I really had hope for Eco, but now, not so much. Maybe I'l try name of the Rose next and build a solid foundation on which to base my opinion of the man.

I'd avoid at this point, Beav. I think Eco will just continue to drive you nuts. I read The Name of the Rose and must admit that while parts of it were amazing, other parts were a chore. Same for Foccault's Pendulum, though, I liked that one best of all his books, easily.

ok, noted. I have a bunch of shit lined up - including some dude named....Gene Wofe or something - so in 6 months when I'm caught up, maybe I'll consider Eco again.

Oh, hey, he's actually named Gene Wolfe. Yeah, you might want to check him out. If you want your mind blown, that is.

The entire Sun Cycle FOR THE FUCKING WIN.

I like books.

:lol:

Last night I finished "The First Man in Rome." I was so impressed. It took me a while to read, since it was such a large book, and I didn't exactly want to lug it with me everywhere. I glossed over a bit of the political stuff, but most of it was so fascinating. I knew very little about Roman history before reading this, and I'm totally hooked now. I'm definitely going to pick up the next book when I get back from my trip.

LOVED Life of Pi.

Looking for a good quick read for the last week and a half of summer. Something a little substantial but not too heavy. Maybe even something funny. Any suggestions?

I finished Paula Deen's "A Memoir, It Ain't all About the Cookin" which I enjoyed and will try a few of the recipes she shared in the book (one in each chapter) and now I am starting Amanda Brunker's Champagne Kisses which I just received. (I am shocked how quickly Amazon and eBay shipments arrive from the UK!)

I am trying to read the new Louise Erdrich, A Plague of Doves, though I am not a big fan but the reviews have been good. I've thrown it down twice in disgust because I can't keep up with the multitudes of characters she introduces all at once without a family tree.

#53 I Was Told There Would Be Cake by Sloane Crossley

Humorous essays. They were mildly humorous, I had a few giggles here and there, but sometimes tedious. I'm glad I didn't buy this one, like I almost did because I'd heard how funny it was.

Liars.

I'm putting aside "Kushiel's Dart", a fantasy book by Jacqueline Carey - and it may be for good.

I can't get into the story. Far too many characters, I got so confused over who is or was who, it just wasn't worth it anymore. And the plot takes forever to develop - if it ever does develop. Close to 900 pages, and I was up to page 320 and nothing exciting is happening! All it has is bland characters, boring intrigue, and a going-nowhere-plotline. And this book got rave reviews when it first came out, and has a whole bunch of sequels, but based on the boring 320 pages I've read, I don't understand why.

I'll be stopping by Strand bookstore to see if I could sell my copy, or sell it in my sister's yardsale. I feel guilty giving up on the book, because usually I don't, but why bother with it if you're not enjoying it and you find yourself skipping pages?

So, I've picked up "In The Company Of The Courtesan" by Sarah Dunant. I read her "Birth of Venus" a few years ago and that was good, so I am looking forward to this one!

On second thought....

I just read over the reviews on Amazon, and decided to give "Kushiel's Dart" another shot. The reviews say you got to be patient with the story, because it does develop into a very good adventure story. So, I'll give it one more shot - but one more!

Irving stole most of his material from German and Dutch folk stories.

Not most, some, and he still is a father of American literature for his style, perhaps not all of his content was revolutionary but it isn't a crime to be inspired by things you know, he created folktales for a nation without its own, from templates he knew.

LOVED Life of Pi.

Looking for a good quick read for the last week and a half of summer. Something a little substantial but not too heavy. Maybe even something funny. Any suggestions?

Chuck Palahniuk, brilliant satirist, and one of the most bizarrely funny authors of our time.

Library haul at the moment:

Graham Greene's The Power and the Glory, and The Quiet American, Richard Yates' A Good School, and Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Those are my main order of business between now and this time next week.

I'm a HUGE Graham Greene fan. I've read TPATG, The Heart of the Matter, The Human Factor, Doctor Fischer or The Bomb Party, and I'm currently reading Monsieur Quixote.

In the Top 5 of post-WWII English language writers, easily.

Enjoy.

#54 Free For All: Oddballs, Geeks and Gangstas In the Public Library by Don Borchert

I put this book on my list after beege recommended it - and I'm glad I did!

Often very funny, often full of shake-your-head at humanity tales of working in a public library in Los Angeles.

I'm glad you liked that book, cori.

Sometimes I think I could add a chapter to it everyday :wink:

I am currently no longer reading Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp by Stephanie Klein. I have been choking down the posts on this author's blog for quite a few years and I didn't think I could ever sit through an entire book. I was right.

When a conversation with her fellow campers makes her feel "like shiny silver tap shoes" I am DONE.

What does that even mean??

I enjoyed Klein's first book, Straight Up and Dirty, but it's like a lot of books written by authors who springboarded to author-dom from their blogs. ... I was going to say overly self-centered, but hey, they're memoirs of sorts, so of course it's going to be all about her. :wink:

I should have Moose coming to me fairly soon from the library; we'll see if I like it better than you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom