books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know very little about Hawaiian history and had no idea there was a leper colony* on one of the islands.

I only know details about it because of this guy:
damien.jpg

I just finished "The Sun Also Rises" for the second time. I'm happy to report my love of it hasn't changed since first reading the book more than 10 years ago. I'm going to do my second run through Hemingway's collected short stories.

Dalton, I've not read Chabon's The Pittsburgh Mysteries so can't shed any light for you. Sorry.

Have any of you read Chabon's The Pittsburgh Mysteries? I'm curious to know if anyone has thoughts/knowledge of its link to Hemingway's the Sun Also Rises.

I haven't, but this makes me want to read it now. I might go to the library later. If I do, I'll see if they have it.

Have any of you read Chabon's The Pittsburgh Mysteries? I'm curious to know if anyone has thoughts/knowledge of its link to Hemingway's the Sun Also Rises.

I read it, but, it's called "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh" you illiterate clown.

Funny, I was more reminded of Catcher in the Rye than anything else when reading it. I read books very quickly, so it would not surprised me if I missed some sort of like to the Sun Also Rises.

Breath by Tim Winton

I read this yesterday in almost one sitting--a beautiful coming of age story centered around surfing. I am generally not interested in the ocean, the beach, boats, all things water, and certainly not surfing, but I couldn't put this book down. The Australians here can tell you Tim Winton is a wonderful writer and he should be better known in the US than he is.

Ouche.

I enjoyed Chabon's book a lot, but I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read the Hemingway. A friend told me The Sun Also Rises was The Great American Novel, but as I'm a staunch Fitzgerald supporter I scoffed at him and never got around to reading it. I enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea and a good amount of Hemingway's short stories, but I'm just not a big fan of his style, as well as all the macho bullshit. Besides, how can the GAN take place in Europe? Whatever. It's Gatsby or Moby Dick. Deal with it.

Michael Stipe told me in the song The Wake Up Bomb that, in fact, he wrote the Great American Novel.

I wonder what it was called.

May I add a book or two? The Mid-Wife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman, (about a young homeless girl working with a mid-wife during the middle ages-1200's), works by Dr. David Starkey who is a scholar who writes about the english monarchy. He narrates a dvd collection called "Monarchy" which is excellent. There are many more dealing with american and world history. I love history. :wave:

Ouche.

I enjoyed Chabon's book a lot, but I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read the Hemingway. A friend told me The Sun Also Rises was The Great American Novel, but as I'm a staunch Fitzgerald supporter I scoffed at him and never got around to reading it. I enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea and a good amount of Hemingway's short stories, but I'm just not a big fan of his style, as well as all the macho bullshit. Besides, how can the GAN take place in Europe? Whatever. It's Gatsby or Moby Dick. Deal with it.

I'm with you in not at all being a Hemingway fan. Too macho for my tastes. I always preferred Fitzgerald or especially Steinbeck. Also found Hemingway to be a bit anti-semitic, which did not exactly endear him to me.

And you're a Dickens fan? There are definitely some questionable portraits of Jews in more than one of his novels.

Good point.....

You know, Laz, I always just looked at Dickens as fairly anti-religion overall, as opposed to being merely anti-semitic. I am merely human, though, and wonder how I'd feel if I disliked his writing, as I do with Hemingway.

Oliver Twist is the one book of his that jumps at me as being the main culprit, but I just never truly sensed hatred of Jewish people from him.....also, covert or overt anti-semitism is pretty much par for the course during that era, so he could just be using a character or two to reflect that. :shrug:

Ouche.

I actually don't have a lot of love for Hemingway the novelist. I love his short stories, but I don't feel that his style translates well to the longer narrative.

I will argue to the death that Duncan's "The Brothers K" is the greatest American novel.

I would also argue that Twain is the father of modern American literature.

Rory Gilmore, despite her unabashed love of literature, has also voiced her dislike of Hemingway.

Season 2, Episode 13, entitled 'A Tisket A Tasket'

I can tell you what it WASN'T called: Ignoreland.

Even in a thread that's nothing to do with them, you'll never let that go. I'm throwing gas on the fire by saying it was damn entertaining to see that live this summer (don't misunderstand me and think I'm calling it a highlight, but to me its certainly not the bane of my existence as it is with you).

... so running away from that and back to books, just got a heap from the library, and I'll be starting Alex (The Beach) Garland's The Tesseract as soon as I sign off.

I will argue to the death that Duncan's "The Brothers K" is the greatest American novel.

Oh, I love that book.

I read Mysteries of Pittsburgh but didn't like it nearly as much as Wonder Boys and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I haven't read The Yiddish Policeman's Union yet, but I have it on my shelf.

I actually don't have a lot of love for Hemingway the novelist. I love his short stories, but I don't feel that his style translates well to the longer narrative.

I can agree with this insofar as after 200 pages you feel like nothing's happened. But I love his style and the flow* of the sentences. I'm never bored during a Hemingway book, even if it's boring.

Clancy writes hardcore shit. Shit blows up, people die, then are reborn, then they die again, by their own hand sometimes.

Yeah, he's like Tolkien only instead of hating on Orcs and other abominations, Clancy drops mad hate on the enemies of Freedom - the enemies of the U-S-A!!! Like he used to hate the Russians, then he hated on the Irish for a bit, then back to the russians. Now he's all about hating the current terrorists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom