books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a college librarian and it's so good to hear that all of you are reading the classics as well as best sellers! way to go!

Thanks for that title, Beegee. I haven't heard of that one and it sounds good.
I have been a librarian for a very long time both public and college. I have seen some really strange stuff!

I just read Eat,Pray,Love- it was good.

I have been reading up on healthy living and eating habits, skin care, and holistic/organic health care and remedies.

One of my favorite books recently is Marley and Me-for me as a dog lover, it was so heartwarming

Keeping on Reading everyone!

Hi coastalgirl, it's always fun to meet a fellow book pusher :wink:

Anna, another good biker book is called Under and Alone by William Queen. It's the true story of an ATF agent who went undercover in The Mongols.

Ooh! There's large sections on the ATF in Angels of Death, and a fascinating account of how they set up their own 'gang' and let the Angels come to them - the Solos Angeles. It's brilliant. thank you both for your tips. I'll track these 2 books down.

Marley & Me was one of the few books where I genuinely laughed and cried. Anyone who's owned a dog has to identify with him and Marley.
:sad:

The semester's almost over for me, and then I'll be reading all summer! I can't wait; I've already started up a list that I want to get through. :nerd:

#27 Then We Came To the End by Joshua Ferris

I've heard nothing but raves and raves about this book, and I finally read it. Tales of ad agency office workers, comic and tragic, very engrossing and very good.

There's a few books that I'd love to have the time to read, but unless it's a medical textbook or board review book it ain't happening.

I think corianderstem read at least 15 books in the time it took me to finish The Satanic Verses :lol:

Last night I finished Greg Kot's book Wilco: Learning How to Die. I enjoyed it, since I learned a lot about the history of the band that I didn't know. That said, it wasn't as artistically done as I'd hoped--Kot is a journalist, and the book read like reporting. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I felt like it needed more storytelling and more artistry in the language.

Next up for me is Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. With as much as I'm traveling in the next month, I think I'll probably easily breeze through five or six books in no time.

I'm a newbie and I've really enjoyed seeing what everyone else likes to read. I love to read, it's one of my favorite things to do. I love reading any books about U2 (my favorites being U2: At the End of the World, U2 by U2 and Bono In Conversation). I also love anything and everything by Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich and Heather Graham. Also, I really enjoy books about Arthurian legend, and Jack the Ripper. I'll read just about anything and have a list of books I want to read that grows every day and is currently at about 600 lol.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I think corianderstem read at least 15 books in the time it took me to finish The Satanic Verses :lol:

Tell me about it. I'm trying to get through this Teddy Roosevelt biography (the Pulitzer-winning one), and it's taking a LONG time. Each time I see the numbers next to Cori's book titles it's like another lash of the whip on my back.

lazarus said:
Each time I see the numbers next to Cori's book titles it's like another lash of the whip on my back.

Oh, stop your complaining. You paid very well for those lashes.

:ohmy:

dominatrix44.jpg
bcnmadonna.jpg

I just got Barbara Walters' Audition and Chelsea Handler's new book from Amazon! Can't wait to start reading, I'll have to flip a coin to see which one I start reading first.

I have Chelsea's first book on order at the library - I'm curious to check it out, after reading about her new one. I really have no clue who she is, other than she has a show on E! and two books.

Chelsea is so funny! I try to catch her show a couple times a week. I'm going to go see her live next month too. She does such a great job making fun of celebs. And her sidekick, Chuey, on the show is so funny too....he is a Mexican little person. They have such hysterical comedic chemistry. Their skits are so funny. I guess I am going to read her books a little backward....the new one first then I'll read the first book.

If you get a chance you should check out her show. It's a really quick 30 min. show. :wave:

corianderstem said:
I have Chelsea's first book on order at the library - I'm curious to check it out, after reading about her new one. I really have no clue who she is, other than she has a show on E! and two books.

I didn't know who she was still don't really aside from what is in My Horizontal life (not watching TV keeps me incredibly immune to pop culture it's weird) I read it last weekend and it was a fun quickie, I was laughing out loud reading it at the gym. I should check out some more.

Before that The Liars' Club by Mary Karr. It was beautifully written though some of it was painful to read.

Meditation and trying not to stress about the future was my new years resolution so 4 months into the new year. I picked up Eckhart Tolle The Power of Now and then realized he is an "Oprah" phenomenon. I do admit that I got a lot out of the book and quickly read A New Earth right after.

Currently reading:
Deepak Chopra's The Burden of Proof

a book on yoga and

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

#28 Glory Days: The Bruce Springsteen Story Volume II by Dave Marsh.

Well, it's certainly more than I ever felt I needed to know about the height of Bruce-mania in the mid-80s.

The stuff about how the Nebraska and Born in the USA albums came to be was really interesting, though.

I wonder if Marsh is going to write any more - this only covers up through the end of the BitUSA tour and the relsease of the 3-CD live compilation.

redkat said:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

I read this a couple years ago and really enjoyed it.

She did a lot of research on the history of the circus, which was what made it so interesting.

Just read a book called "Spin". Rare to find such a well done combination of speculative fiction along with the human element. Really enjoyed it. Read Cryptonomicon before that, loved it.

A books thread? People still read books? :wink:

Ok, so I'm about two thirds of the way through the book Tripmaster Monkey by Maxine Hong Kingston. It's cool. It's about this stoner Chinese-American guy named Wittman who rolls around 1960's San Francisco writing poetry and going to LSD parties and falling in love with girls. A sort of coming of age kinda deal.

But it's got some really cool character insights and has some very funny moments.

Recommended. :up:

I read Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential on the first few days of my vacation. I didn't love it, but it was entertaining. I'm reading Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs right now, and I'm not enjoying it quite as much as I'd expected to. I'm only a few essays into it, though, so I'm hoping I start to like it more.

LOL, yes!

The Ruins was another one of those I-don't-read-books-like-this books that I LOVED.

Something about it was just scary as hell and I am constantly recommending it at work.

I'm sure they ruined the movie adaptation, but I'll definitely put that in my queue when it comes out on DVD, just to see what they made of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom