books - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #826
45:33

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Well, finished The Kite Runner. The very ending was nice, with the whole interrelation running kites thing, but it seemed a little contrived to me. There was a bit of predictability about it. Also too, when Amir went to hospital and the doctor told him Assef had split his upper lip right down the middle - so he had a harelip just Hassan did. There were a lot of those type moments.

Sohrab trying to commit suicide frustrated me, and the ensuing "barely living child" thing was annoying as well, because it broke Amir and Soraya. I would have prefered the book to end with Soraya ringing Amir and telling him there was a way to bring Sohrab back to America prior to him trying to kill himself, so they all would have been happy, and then maybe a tragic turn coming at the end with Assef coming back or sending one of his cronies to America.

Overall though, it kept me interested throughout, it's just a shame that we're reading this book for English and my class is full of half-wits who won't understand half the words and will have struggled to read 100 pages, despite having two weeks of holidays. I want to discuss the book, as you can see here, but sadly I won't get to.

Now reading Hunting the Wild Pineapple, a collection of short stories about a seemingly self-loathing monoped in Queensland, by Thea Astley. It's proving quite hard to read, any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #827
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:08 PM
I liked The Sun Also Rises more than I liked the few other Hemingway books I read, so there you go. Take that for what it's worth.

#48 Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow

Ehhhhh. It read like a history of early 20th century American history, with some fictional characters thrown in. The second half of the book dealt more with an actual plot with those fictional characters, but the first half seemed to read like an interesting, possibily fictionalized history book.

It was interesting, but by the time it picked up with the fictional plot, I didn't care by that point and wanted to know more about Ford, J P Morgan and Houdini.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #828

That's exactly how I felt with The Kite Runner.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #829
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:08 AM
I've just finished "The Histories" by Herodotus. Very entertaining read, although as with all historical books at times I felt overwhelmed by the endless barrage of names and facts. Also, I got tired of referring back and forth to the notes at the back that corrected or questioned Herodotus' writing so I just read it as it was. It lost me somewhat in the middle chapters that dealt with the endless and tedious squabbles between the Greek city states, but once it got to Darius and Xerxes and the Greco-Persian wars it was back on track.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 PM   #830
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I liked The Sun Also Rises more than I liked the few other Hemingway books I read, so there you go. Take that for what it's worth.

#48 Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow

Ehhhhh. It read like a history of early 20th century American history, with some fictional characters thrown in. The second half of the book dealt more with an actual plot with those fictional characters, but the first half seemed to read like an interesting, possibily fictionalized history book.

It was interesting, but by the time it picked up with the fictional plot, I didn't care by that point and wanted to know more about Ford, J P Morgan and Houdini.
The movie adaptation is actually very good, don't know if you've seen it or not. It was directed by Milos Forman, the guy who did Amadeus and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It definitely focuses more on those fictional characters, but it's got some great actors (Mary Steenburgen, Mandy Patinkin, Howard E. Rollins, Brad Dourif, Jeff Daniels, Norman Mailer, and James Cagney's farewell performance). Randy Newman did the fantastic score.

I have a couple Doctorow. books but haven't got around to reading them yes. There's one written about Julius & Ethel Rosenberg's son that I've heard god things about.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #831
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I learned both how to be a writer and my sense of capitalism from the hand scribbled signs of the homeless.
You're probably better off and definitely far less in student loan debt than I am.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #832
Blue Crack Distributor

Huh, I had no idea there was a movie adaptation of Ragtime. Never heard of it!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #833
Blue Crack Distributor

#48 Queen of Babble In the Big City by Meg Cabot

Oh, I do love me some Meg Cabot, who seems to write a bazillion books each year between her adult chick-lit series and her YA stuff.

Most of it, I love. Including this one.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #834

Can I ask what the numbers are for, cori? Are you reading a set number of books per you and posting as you finish?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #835
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm just tallying up the books I read; I've been doing it for the past few years. I don't have a goal as to how many I read each year.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #836
Blue Crack Distributor

#49 Home: A Memoir Of My Early Years by Julie Andrews

Julie Andrews is the most awesomest person ever.

That is all.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #837
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:08 PM
I heart Julie Andrews! When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be just like her. I didn't know she had written a book. Might be worth checking out.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #838
Blue Crack Distributor

It's a very interesting read. It stops just as she's going to Hollywood to make Mary Poppins, so I really, really hope she's planning on a second book.

The book focuses a lot on her upbringing in vaudeville with her mother and stepdad in post-war England, and I admit to have skimmed a little bit in the beginning, but I found the bits about her years in New York doing My Fair Lady and Camelot fascinating.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #839
Blue Crack Supplier

That sounds like a good read. The only actor biographies I've read are Errol Flynn's My Wicked ,Wicked Ways, which was a FANTASTIC and very candid book, and Katherine Hepburn's Me, which I doubt I even need to comment on, as she's like an icon of icons.

I have Marlon Brando's Songs My Mother Taught me lying around somewhere, and even though I find the guy fascinating, I haven't had the urge to crack it open yet.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #840
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh yeah, congrats on finishing the draft of your novel, Cori!

Tags
books, reading