books - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #796
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich

had it for a while never got around to actually reading it. glad i finally picked it up

Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #797
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 12:22 PM
I'm bringing a copy of The Road with me to Dallas next week so I can finally finish it.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #798
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
On a side note, I am going camping next week and plan on taking Blood Meridian with me. Anyone read it?
NSW has. I actually just came here to tell him I finally picked it up yesterday.

I just read it's being made into a movie, Ridley Scott directing.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #799
Blue Crack Distributor

#44 Bar Flower by Lea Jacobson

The full title is Bar Flower: My Decadently Destructive Days and Nights as a Tokyo Nightclub Hostess ... which pretty much sums up what the book is about.

I loved it! I'm very intrigued by Japanese culture, and this book went on my list after reading a few favorable reviews of the book.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #800
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:22 PM
I'm headed on another trip next week, and I have a feeling Barack Obama (in book form) will not be going with me. I'm enjoying The Audacity of Hope so far, and it's really making me stop and think about my political views and my understanding of our government, but it's not vacation reading. The public library has quite a few books I've been wanting to read, so I may have to take a trip downtown before I hit the road for Columbia (and other points west).
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #801
Blue Crack Distributor

#45 The Art of Racing In the Rain by Garth Stein

So it's basically Marley and Me from a dog's point of view. Although Enzo is a much more intelligent dog than Marley was, from my recollections of that book.

What if dogs had a human soul inside and could narrate in a highly intelligent fashion? I liked the book despite thinking at various times that a) Enzo is kind of pretentious; b) the family drama plot that Enzo watches play out is a little subpar, plot-wise; and c) way more car racing stuff than I would have liked (Enzo's owner is an amateur racecar driver, and many racing metaphors abound).

But still. I like dogs, it takes place in Seattle, and it was a quick read. Predictably, I cried at the end, because any book about a dog ... well, let's just say the ending is always the same.

I really loved Stein's previous book How Evan Broke His Head and Other Stories and was hoping to like this one as much, but I think after my inital "awww, doggie!" woobliness, the book won't stay with me nearly as much as the other book.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #802
Neon Zebra

Well, I guess I won't be bringing The Road with me to Dallas because I pulled a Cori and read it from cover to cover last night.

I've never done that before.

What a book.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #803
Blue Crack Supplier

Glad you read it and liked it.

It's pretty freaking impactful, yes?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #804
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
Well, I guess I won't be bringing The Road with me to Dallas because I pulled a Cori and read it from cover to cover last night.

I think I read it myself in one or two sittings while at my parents' last summer.

So, uh, while I'm on such a roll....

#46 The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner

I've loved everything Jennifer has written so far, and this book of short stories was no exception.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #805
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:22 PM
I'm almost finished "The First Man in Rome," and I've loved every page so far. The research that must have gone into putting this book together is phenomenal! My co-worker has all the books that follow after that, and I'll definitely be reading those when I can.

I'm looking for 2 more books to take with me on my trip in August. Any suggestions for something in either the historical fiction or action/adventure genre that isn't too big and bulky? I'll have very limited space in my suitcase, so the books shouldn't be too lengthy. I'm planning on taking 4 with me, and have 2 already, but am at a loss as to what the other 2 should be...
Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #806
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Currently digesting East of Eden, and Jose Saramago's Blindness. I have Brideshead Revisited and Ian McEwan's Amsterdam out from the library backing those up. And various nonfiction works going.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #807
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Did I already mention that I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities? I thought it would take forever for me to slog through but I just read 150 pages on a bus ride and it's pretty damned compelling.

Any Dickens fans here? I'm considering tusslin' with Mr. Copperfield next.

Yes, in fact I was planning on rereading some of his stuff this summer, not that there aren't stories by him I haven't read, but I'm a huge fan of Two Cities, Great Expectations, etc. He was such an amazing storyteller.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #808
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

I think I read it myself in one or two sittings while at my parents' last summer.

So, uh, while I'm on such a roll....

#46 The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner

I've loved everything Jennifer has written so far, and this book of short stories was no exception.
I like Jennifer Weiner's books too! They're so entertaining. I loved "In Her Shoes" and "Good In Bed" and just bought "The Guy Not Taken", lol. Is it as good as her previous ones?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #809
ONE
love, blood, life

^ "The Guy Not Taken" was great and fit in well with the rest of Jennifer Weiner's stuff. I finished "Certain Girls" a few weeks ago and loved it. I cried so much at the end. I don't cry that much at books, although I sobbed when I finished the last Harry Potter book.

I'm currently finishing up Hemingway's "The Dangerous Summer," a book I bought a few years ago but couldn't get into straight away (I'm not really the bullfighting type). It's decent, there are some great examples of why Hemingway is a writing legend, but it really can't stand next to his classics.

I think I'll hit the library when I'm finished and get some Hemingway books I haven't read yet (like "Moveable Feast" and "Men Without Women"). I also want to read "Peyton Place" for some reason.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #810
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2904 View Post
I finished "Certain Girls" a few weeks ago and loved it.
!! I had no idea she had a new book out. Awesome.

Tags
books, reading