books - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #766
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:19 PM
I'm putting "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokaw aside for now. Not because I don't like the book - I do, its just that I am itching to read a novel. I can turn from non-fiction to fiction like a light switch. Whenever I feel the need to be educated, I read nonfiction. Whenever I feel the need to enjoy a good story, I read fiction. That's what's happening to me now. So, I am going to read "Kushiel's Dart" a sci-fi/fantasy book by Jacqueline Carey. It's gotten good reviews, so I'm expecting a lot here.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #767
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Good for you. I actually prefer non-fiction.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #768
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:19 AM
I've just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Wow, that was one of the bleakest, most harrowing books I've read, it really left a hollow feeling in my stomach. Beautifully written though, you'd never think that descriptions of a burned out post-apocalyptic world could be so poetic.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #769
Blue Crack Supplier

That book really left me in tatters. One of those where you're just staring at the final page in total exhaustion.

I hope to god they get the movie right. Viggo Mortensen is a great choice for the man, in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #770
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:49 PM
"The Assault on Reason" by Presi...ahem, Al Gore. Great book. Predictable in its biting of Bush, but also refreshingly direct and passionate.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #771
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
I'm really into P.G. Wodehouse lately.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #772
Blue Crack Supplier

Did I already mention that I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities? I thought it would take forever for me to slog through but I just read 150 pages on a bus ride and it's pretty damned compelling.

Any Dickens fans here? I'm considering tusslin' with Mr. Copperfield next.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 AM   #773
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Did I already mention that I'm reading A Tale of Two Cities? I thought it would take forever for me to slog through but I just read 150 pages on a bus ride and it's pretty damned compelling.

I had to read Great Expectations for a class back in my college days (like two years ago ) and I really enjoyed it. I also liked the recent movie adaptation starring Gwyneth and Ethan Hawke.

Also, Desmond from LOST is a big Dickens fan so you can't go wrong there...can you brutha?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #774
Blue Crack Supplier

See you in another life brutha...when you're a Cubs fan.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #775
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

Dipshit, yes, Dickens fan here...but we discussed that a few pages back.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #776
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:19 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the Victorian era, but I do like Dickens. The fact that he first published a lot of his books serially makes them pretty fast-paced reads. I remember particularly liking Great Expectations, though it's been awhile since I've read any of his work.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 PM   #777
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm a big Dickens fan, unabashed about it. I even like saying "Dickensian". A Tale of Two Cities is likely my favorite.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #778
The Fly

Local Time: 12:19 PM
Cave Rats, by Kerry Greenwood

This was pretty ordinary, but to be fair I think it was written for a younger age group. Also it's my own damn fault for persevering with it, when I knew that it wasn't going to get any better. God the ending was ridiculous. But the author has received plenty of praise for her other work, to the point where I feel like I must have missed something in this book. So like a glutton for punishment I've borrowed another of her books, just to be sure that she hasn't been prematurely given the bum's rush. At least they're a quick read...

Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card

Ditto this book, the rave reviews leave me wondering if I've completely misjudged it because although it was sort of fun I'm not keen to go back for more. Probably the biggest gripe is with the child genius characters, which is bad because they're meant to be the stars of the show. Hyper intelligent kids? No prob. Worldly wisdom without years of life experience? Hmm. Getting the balance right with their dialogue must have been difficult, and it seemed to be off the mark. Also some of the scenes with the kids were almost creepy, enough to have me worried about Mr Card. Anyway I was hoping that there'd be a different kind of twist at the end which probably would have made for a better story, but nope. Right now I still don't really understand why the book is so popular but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with the fact that the folks who enjoy sci-fi also tend to love games and good old fashioned warfare.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #779
The Fly

Local Time: 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracene View Post
I've just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Wow, that was one of the bleakest, most harrowing books I've read, it really left a hollow feeling in my stomach. Beautifully written though, you'd never think that descriptions of a burned out post-apocalyptic world could be so poetic.
Post-apocalyptic? Hello.. And with a movie to come?? Still, sounds a bit heavy going. Might tackle it after a happier dose of Jasper Fforde..
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #780
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:19 AM
I'm still thinking about "The Road". I went to the supermarket yesterday and the sight of all that abundant food, especially canned food, after reading that book, had an eerie and unsettling effect.

Tags
books, reading