books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read anything and everything by Grisham, Barbara Kingsolver, Jennifer Weiner, Patrick McCabe, Nora Roberts, Maeve Binchy....and those are just to name a few. I read voraciously, always have.

My latest find has been author Diana Gabaldon. I am making my way through her 5 novel "Outlander" series, currently reading "Dragonfly in Amber". I honestly don't think I have ever enjoyed characters and story lines as much as these books by this incredible author :up: Has anyone read anything by Gaboldon?

I read Outlander a few years ago and was surprised at how much I liked it. (I'm usually not much for historical stuff ... but somehow I'm apparently a sucker for time travel stuff - especially if there's romance involved. :wink: )

I have the second in the series, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

corianderstem said:

I'm still slogging through The World According to Garp, and finally, after about 200 pages, I'm getting into it.

I love that book, I love John Irving. I have his latest book Until I Find You but I never started it. I used to read so much more than I do now.

I got the Bob Woodruff book In An Instant today, hopefully I will start it over the weekend.

corianderstem said:
I read Outlander a few years ago and was surprised at how much I liked it. (I'm usually not much for historical stuff ... but somehow I'm apparently a sucker for time travel stuff - especially if there's romance involved. :wink: )

I have the second in the series, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

:applaud: Another Gobaldon fan! The 2nd one is good...I am 3/4 way through it. I didn't think I'd like it especially since I struggled thru (but ended up enjoying) The Time Traveler's Wife. But I am going to Ireland/Wales/Scotland/England this fall and will see so much of the areas that they mention and talk about in the book...so much history there, so that makes it even that much more enjoyable for me. I am going to read all the volumes in the series.

I'm currently reading Four Fires by Bryce Courtenay, and it's fantastic. :up:

I've just finished a book by the author Arnaldur Indridason, I guess the name of the book would be "Women in green" in english. Oh it really was a good book. I liked it very much:)

Right now I got a lot of books that I want to readXD

Has anyone read 100 Years of Solitude? I've heard from others - some of them literary types - that it's choppy, jumps all over the place, and is hard to follow. I loved Love in the Time of Cholera, and was looking forward to 100 years. Should I give it a shot?

i just did a massive research project for a school class on "all quiet on the western front", a book about soldiers in WWI, and i think it's one of the best books i've ever read. i can't do it justice here, but trust me, i'm glad i chose that for a three month research project over something else :heart:

other recent books:

-pride and prejudice - that and a tree grows in brooklyn are my favorite books of all time

the year of magical thinking - i got this out because my grandfather died a month ago and i've heard this is a great book on death and dying, and it's meant a lot to me

i'm currently reading hillary clinton's autobiography, because if she's running for president, i want to make an educated decision as to whether i hate her or not. unfortunately, i'm going to miss voting in 2008 by five months :angry:

also reading stupid "chick lit" books to make up for all the hardcore thinking i've been doing for the past few months :lol:

Sometimes A Great Notion
You Can't Go Home Again
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Idiot
Diaries of Anais Nin

i'm currently reading the idiot.

damn these russion novels with a million characters you have to remember.

It's not that there are a million characters. There are two with half a million names they are referred to each.

i'm really enjoying ken follet's the pillars of the earth currently. has anyone else read this? there's a sequel ready for preorder now.

I loved this book and am really looking forward to the sequel. I might read it again actually, now that you've reminded me of it. I have a bit of an obsession with centuries old masonry :love: & sculpture etc. so I really enjoyed the details of the cathedral building :nerd:

I'm going to dig it out this weekend actually, Thanks.

U2Man said:
i'm really enjoying ken follet's the pillars of the earth currently. has anyone else read this? there's a sequel ready for preorder now.

It's been on my "to read" list for a while, but glad to hear it recommended by someone else.

I just finished an AMAZING book that really spoke to me. And made me want to move to Italy. Or maybe Bali. :wink:

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's about the author's quest to find herself and some spiritual guidance after her divorce and subsequent depression.

It was funny, it was moving, it was just SO GOOD.

Then I read Meg Cabot's Queen of Babble, which was a lot of fun. I love Meg, but some of her recent books have been sub-par. I was really pleased to read this one and enjoy it so much.

Now I'm in the middle of the latest Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book, which is, as they all have been, a delightful read. Ann Brashares does a great job of writing young adult books with characters that feel real and likable.

Thank you for bumping this thread back up! :love:

Has anyone read Zorba the Greek? I'm about halfway through right now. I'd heard so much about how it was such a positive, life-loving book. All I really see in it so far is a helluva lot of chauvinism. :shrug:

corianderstem said:

Now I'm in the middle of the latest Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants book, which is, as they all have been, a delightful read. Ann Brashares does a great job of writing young adult books with characters that feel real and likable.

Thank you for bumping this thread back up! :love:

i just bought that book at borders this weekend and read it in a day, it was great, and really came full circle :heart:

i also picked up princeton review's "361 best colleges" and biology and global history review books for the state tests at the end of the year :giggle: the review books are boring, but the college book is engrossing :love: there's so many amazing colleges within a few hours of where i live now, which is really important, i don't want to go too far away :heart: i always say the farthest i'll go is seven hours away [by car], or to europe :lol:

I finally finished "The World is Flat". Very interesting read. I think this book should be a mandatory read for all college kids, and even high school kids so they could understand the world they are living in. One way of getting every person to read it :)

Now I am reading "Christ the Lord" by Anne Rice. She never fails to be a good writer. I'm halfway done with it. Its a short and simple read; I'll be done with it soon. After that would be "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch.

I'm reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I'm reading one of his titles a month until I have read all that he has written. So far, 5 down, with The Road probably being the best of the bunch, despite it now being an Oprah book.

Babydoll said:
Anyone read "Nine parts of Desire" yet? Someone said it was good but I'd like other opinions.... :hmm:

Are you talking about the one by Geraldine Brooks? It is very good. But I think there are some better books on the topic. First, it was published in 1995, and I found it to be a little bit dated by the time I read it. She also covered a lot of different topics, so it left me wanting to know more, which can be a good or bad thing, but in her case, I wish she had gone more in depth with some of the stuff she wrote about. But overall, it is well worth reading. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom