books - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #706
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:48 PM
I actually love long books. Assuming they're good, of course. I see no difference between reading three 333 page books or one 1,000 page book.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #707
Neon Zebra
 
beegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: southern nevada
Posts: 10,590
Local Time: 01:48 PM
I am currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

The paperback copy I have is 909 pages
__________________

__________________
beegee is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #708
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
I am currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

The paperback copy I have is 909 pages
That's awesome. Perhaps you, Beegee, by extension.....are awesome.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #709
Neon Zebra
 
beegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: southern nevada
Posts: 10,590
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Well, thank you.

I try.
__________________
beegee is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 PM   #710
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 01:48 PM
I like long books just fine. I'm just sayin' - 1,000 pages is a LOT of pages.

That's funny, though - I have a paperback copy of The Historian as well - I had no idea it was that long!
__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #711
Neon Zebra
 
beegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: southern nevada
Posts: 10,590
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Have you read it?

Is it going to continue to be good?
__________________
beegee is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #712
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 01:48 PM
I haven't read it - it's languishing on my shelves, with about 100 other books crying out to be read. I've heard mixed things about it, though.

As for my dissing of 1,000 page books, I guess I should have just said that I decided I wasn't interested enough in this first man in Rome to read 1,000 pages about him. I'll watch PBS' I, Claudius instead to get my Rome fix.
__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #713
Neon Zebra
 
beegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: southern nevada
Posts: 10,590
Local Time: 01:48 PM
I like the fact that it's so heavily researched.

I'll let you know if it's worth reading when I finish it
__________________
beegee is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #714
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BonoIsMyMuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 5,241
Local Time: 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Word. I'm always on the hunt for more short story collections. I recently ordered a collection of Richard Yates work, his writing is so bleak or melancholy, but sometimes it helps to look at the world that way and Yates is a top notch writer.
I highly recommend Jhumpa Lahiri's first book, Interpreter of Maladies. It's a relatively short collection, but the writing is stunningly gorgeous without being too over the top. Some of the stories handle bleak subject matter, but do so in a way that leaves you glad that you've read it. She has a new collection out that I need to pick up. I liked her novel The Namesake, but I think she's more of a story writer.
__________________
BonoIsMyMuse is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #715
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I haven't read it - it's languishing on my shelves, with about 100 other books crying out to be read. I've heard mixed things about it, though.

As for my dissing of 1,000 page books, I guess I should have just said that I decided I wasn't interested enough in this first man in Rome to read 1,000 pages about him. I'll watch PBS' I, Claudius instead to get my Rome fix.
I read I, Claudius.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #716
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,731
Local Time: 01:48 PM
I used to have that book, but I realized I was never going to read it, so gave it back to the Goodwill from whence it came.

I've been wanting to watch the whole Masterpiece Theater series for years. I remember watching little pieces of it when I was a yung'un, as my parents watched it on TV.

It's in my Netflix queue; I may have to bump it up higher.
__________________
corianderstem is online now  
Old 06-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #717
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,009
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Anyone read Infinite Jest? That was 1,000 pages well worth the trip.

Too bad David Foster Wallace hasn't written another novel since.
__________________
lazarus is online now  
Old 06-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #718
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
I highly recommend Jhumpa Lahiri's first book, Interpreter of Maladies. It's a relatively short collection, but the writing is stunningly gorgeous without being too over the top. Some of the stories handle bleak subject matter, but do so in a way that leaves you glad that you've read it. She has a new collection out that I need to pick up. I liked her novel The Namesake, but I think she's more of a story writer.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to my list.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 PM   #719
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I actually love long books. Assuming they're good, of course. I see no difference between reading three 333 page books or one 1,000 page book.
Not to say I've never read a long book that I appreciated, but often times the Bard really was right about brevity being the soul of wit, that and it seems there isn't a lot of editing going on with some of these authors haha. An epic length story that befits the amount of pages is rare, for a non-fiction book I can usually be more forgiving as long as its all compelling and not rambling at all.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #720
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Anyone read Infinite Jest? That was 1,000 pages well worth the trip.

Too bad David Foster Wallace hasn't written another novel since.
I own it and plan to get to it sooner than later. I did read Consider the Lobster.....some of which cracked me up, some of which I could have skipped.

Powerhour24, I agree that brevity can be the soul of wit. But it's not the soul of character development. Sometimes, a good long novel hits the spot. Other times, yes, you wish there were extra editors called in to cull things down a bit.
__________________

__________________
No spoken words is offline  
 

Tags
books, reading

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com