books - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #691
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:10 PM
I hope everyone here has seen The Squid and The Whale.

This could get sticky.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #692
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Come on man, it's the book thread...pretend you're in a library.
Shhh!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #693
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post
Shhh!
Yes'm.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #694
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:10 PM
Old 06-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #695
Blue Crack Supplier

How many exes do you have on this forum, NSW?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #696
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I hope you do, and that you enjoy it.....and I've always found that when I revisit books I read due to mandates, I end up with a completely different take than I originally had....sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse. I know people that refuse to re-read books and I cannot really understand that at all. I'm not a big fan of The Pearl, either, by the way.
I'm sure I'd get a different take on books that I originally read in school as well, I guess I just haven't gone back to many of the ones that aggravated me as I did genuinely love some of the required reading, so in comparison the ones that bothered me stuck out, if that makes sense. Its late and I don't think I did a good job of explaining what I meant, but I am officially adding East of Eden to my reading list for the summer, and everyone that has heard me talk about books before will be mightily confused haha.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #697
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Finally finished "Boom!" by Tom Brokaw, a book about the Sixties. It was good, a little boring in some areas. Some parts seemed to go on and on, but other areas - the ones about the feminist movement, civil rights, drugs, and music - were interesting to read.

Now I am reading another Brokaw book - "The Greatest Generation". I'm hoping this one would be better than "Boom!"
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #698
Blue Crack Distributor

#37 The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time

Teenaged autistic boy in England tries to investigate who killed his neighbor's dog ... and along the way, he learns something about himself, and about love!

Okay, not really, that part after the ellipses was a complete lie. But he does unearth some truths about his family.

It was pretty good. Not what I was expecting, but it had languished on my bookshelves long enough.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 PM   #699
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:10 PM
I read The Collected Poems of Lynda Hull on my trip. I'd read all three of her collections individually, but it was great to get to read them all back to back, and I'm thrilled that her work is back in print. She would've ended up being one of the most influential poets of her generation had she not died so young. In fact, I'd argue that her work will have a lasting importance even though she only published three books. Tough, lyrical, brutally honest and sometimes downright challenging--but she's always worth the effort. Highly recommended.

Yesterday I read Diana Abu Jaber's debut novel Arabian Jazz. Yeah, I was bored. It was a very good family saga. She handled a lot of heavy themes by balancing them with light, accessible prose. The two sisters were both very vividly developed and contrasted one another in a very believable way, and I liked the way the book flowed. Truthfully, I thought her use of jazz felt a bit generic and cliched; I think she uses food as an extended metaphor much more convincingly in her other novel Crescent (which I highly recommend), but the jazz references were used sparingly.

I'm not sure what I'm going to read next. I'm leaning toward Zadie Smith's novel White Teeth, or The Collected Stories of John Cheever.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #700
ONE
love, blood, life

So I've been on a tear, last night I finished Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, something like my 7th book in a couple weeks, and I picked up four more books from the library:

-Miracle at St. Anna by James McBride (very curious but hoping this doesn't spoil my movie going experience as Spike Lee's adaptation looks amazing) 70 pages in.
-East of Eden by John Steinbeck, taking the plunge thanks to Interference.
-The Coma - by Alex Garland, heard negative things but Garland is interesting and it seems a unique narrative.
-American Psycho - by Bret Easton Ellis, having been a former reader, but never a real fan of Ellis I decided to take on his most respected book, then I'll rewatch the movie and complain a lot haha.

That's what I'll be doing for the next week.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #701
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:10 PM
I took the Collected Stories of John Cheever off my shelf today and realized it's over 600 pages. I may read at least some of it, though. That's what I like about story collections--you can read a few here and a few there and move on to something else.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #702
ONE
love, blood, life

Word. I'm always on the hunt for more short story collections. I recently ordered a collection of Richard Yates work, his writing is so bleak or melancholy, but sometimes it helps to look at the world that way and Yates is a top notch writer.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #703
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:10 PM
I've been reading "Russka" and "The Rebels of Ireland: The Dublin Saga" (both by Edward Rutherfurd) for quite some time now, and am enjoying them both. It took a little bit to get into the stories, but I'm definitely hooked.

Since two massive historical novels weren't enough lol, I've just started reading "The First Man in Rome," by Colleen McCullough. I had been talking with a co-worker the other day, and we discovered a mutual love of reading, so we've done a book swap. This book is the one she's lent me. I've read just a few pages, and am enjoying it so far.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #704
Blue Crack Distributor

Thora, I had that McCullough book on my "to read" list for a while, then took it off when I realized I didn't want to read 1,000 pages of anything.

(Although I think I have a copy of the historical novel Sacagaweja, which is about that long and I'll probably never get around to reading it, but I remember my mom reading it when I was little and picked up a copy of my own for nostalgic reasons.)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #705
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:10 PM
Yeah - it's atrociously huge! All 3 books are around 1,000 pages each, so I've got lots of reading to do!

I'm hoping to be done them by the beginning of August, because I'm certainly NOT going to be taking those with me while I'm traveling. I've got a list going of some smaller-in-pages books, and will hopefully find used copies of those before I leave.

Tags
books, reading