books - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #661
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Steinbeck is my favorite classic author, I believe. East off Eden alone would make me revere the man.

I love Steinbeck. I think I was the only one in my high school class who actually liked Grapes of Wrath. Weirdos.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #662
Blue Crack Supplier

Wherever there's a mod censoring an offensive post, I'll be there, ma.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #663
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 06-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #664
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

I love Steinbeck. I think I was the only one in my high school class who actually liked Grapes of Wrath. Weirdos.
I Grapes of Wrath. I read the whole thing in like two nights during my junior year. You're right though, everybody else hated it.
My English teacher also lectured about the phallic symbols and raping of the land in the book for an entire hour once.

I just got a book called Can't Find My Way Home, which is all about the drug culture from 1945-2000. It's very interesting, talking about all types of drugs, from heroin usage by jazz musicians to marijuana usage by the Beat writers in the 1950s.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 AM   #665
Blue Crack Distributor

#33 Chalked Up by Jennifer Sey

The full title is Chalked Up: Inside Elite Gymnastics' Merciless Coaching, Overzealous Parents, Eating Disorders, and Elusive Olympic Dreams.

Last year I read Little Girls in Pretty Boxes, about the world of gymnastics and figure skating (mostly gymnastics) for young girls. Really eye-opening and often horrifying stuff. I certainly don't look at gymnastic events the same way anymore.

Jennifer was the 1986 national gymastic champion, and this is her story. It's interesting - most accounts you hear about gymnastics in the US is about the horrifying side, and yet and yet and yet ...

The gymnasts want it. They hide the abuses (abuses they do to themselves, the abuse from coaches) from their parents because this is what they're driven to do. The parents seem to often get caught up in that drive, and elite gymnasts' families are separated by necessity for costly training, and sometimes look the other way to pretend their daughters aren't bulemic, anorexic or whatever. Or that performing while injured isn't such a big deal, because all gymnasts do it, and it's what's needed to keep competing, to win.

Whew. Anyway. Good book. Fast read.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:17 AM   #666
Blue Crack Supplier

Laz, I always thought you liked either Steinbeck or Hemmingway....I'll take Fitzgerald over Hemmingway, like I choose Steinbeck over Hemmingway. Hemmingway's a little too macho for me, and the anti-semitism aint exactly endearing him to me either. I loved the Winter of Our Discontent, but, it's not exactly an uplifting book.

Reading Outer Dark by Cormac right now. This is a man that likes dark themes, jesus.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #667
Blue Crack Distributor

The only Hemingway I've read that I really liked was a short-story collection. ... and I'm totally blanking on the name of it. D'oh.

edit: In Our Time, maybe? That sounds right.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #668
Blue Crack Distributor

#34 World War Z by Max Brooks

What if World War III wasn't a nuclear attack? Or even a biological attack? What if it was .... ZOMBIES????

The book is an oral history of the outbreak, the panic, the war, and the aftermath of the Zombie war.

I skimmed some of the bits where the characters were describing military technology and manuevers in great detail, but it was really, really cool and often quite creepy.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #669
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 05:07 PM
That's one of the most entertaining books I've read in a few years, Cori. It's spread like virus (or zombie outbreak? ) among my friends. I think all of us read it in 3 days or less. Sounds like you skipped over all the parts guys worship the book for though!

A couple interesting tidbits:
-Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son, and previously a writer for SNL
-Brad Pitt's production company, Plan B Entertainment (Troy, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Departed), is developing a movie adaptation
Old 06-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #670
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
A couple interesting tidbits:
-Max Brooks is Mel Brooks' son, and previously a writer for SNL

Get OUT. That's so cool!

I wouldn't mind seeing what they could do with a movie adaptation ... as long as it wasn't just another blow-em-up war movie or something.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #671
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I Grapes of Wrath. I read the whole thing in like two nights during my junior year. You're right though, everybody else hated it.
My English teacher also lectured about the phallic symbols and raping of the land in the book for an entire hour once.

I just got a book called Can't Find My Way Home, which is all about the drug culture from 1945-2000. It's very interesting, talking about all types of drugs, from heroin usage by jazz musicians to marijuana usage by the Beat writers in the 1950s.
Grapes of Wrath is amazing, but most everything else Steinbeck wrote bores me to death or just aggravates me (The Pearl ), I see what he was trying to convey and the themes and characters are admirable, I just don't care for his writing.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #672
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:07 PM
I'm pumped to start the summer with a new novel from my favorite Chuck Palahniuk (Snuff) and David Benioff (City of Thieves) who wrote the 25th Hour and then adapted the screenplay and has since been a Hollywood screenwriter, instead of continuing to write and I really really like his style of writing. I don't even know what it is about it, but its instantly compelling and stark descriptions without being wordy, I love it. I haven't read either of them yet but I'm really excited for them, not so much for Palahniuk being attempted for the screen again with Choke (but it does have Anjelica Huston in it so there's its redemption), he writes quite cinematic action I suppose but his themes and satire just can't be done well on screen like Fight Club, brilliantly stylish movie completely misses the point of what made the book a masterpiece.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #673
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
Grapes of Wrath is amazing, but most everything else Steinbeck wrote bores me to death or just aggravates me (The Pearl ), I see what he was trying to convey and the themes and characters are admirable, I just don't care for his writing.
East of Eden bored you? Wow.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #674
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
I was mad at him after reading The Red Pony. If his books hadn't been required reading at my high school i would stayed away. I loved The Grapes of Wrath, Mice and Men and Cannery Row. The Pearl wasn't my favorite either.

Has anyone ever gone back and re-read all their high school reading lists? I was looking at all the classics laid out at the book store for the summer reading lists and was tempted. I think I'd start with A Farewell to Arms nsw or The Red Badge of Courage
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #675
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:07 PM
I haven't gone back to re-read but I have read a couple that I was supposed to read and never did . Both times I wonder why I didn't read it the 1st time; they were so good. Of Mice and Men and All Quiet on the Western Front.

Reading Into The Wild right now (Jon Krakauer). It's really poorly written. Also trying to get into Reading Lolita In Tehran.

Tags
books, reading