books - Page 43 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2008, 03:37 AM   #631
45:33

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Not sure if anyone's read it, but we just finished studying Regneration by Pat Barker and I did my SAC on it today. It's a terrific book, if a little slow at times, and is an anti-war novel which has a million layers. Good read.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #632
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Love Is A Mix Tape is the best book I've read in a long time. I absolutely loved it. I can't believe I read it in one day. I stayed away from it for awhile because Rob Sheffield has always sort of annoyed me, both in his appearances on MTV and VH1 and in his writing for Rolling Stone. I have a hard time believing this writer is that guy, though. The book manages to be poignant without being cloyingly sweet or sentimental. It's a believable, relatable book. The mix tapes never become too much of a device, either, which I was worried they would. Even better, you don't need to know all the songs on the mixes to understand the sentiment. The last chapter made me tear up. I can't remember the last time a book did that.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:20 AM   #633
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I just finished Chelsea Handler's new book "Can you hear me vodka, it's Chelsea" and it was pretty funny. It was a nice quick read too which made it fun. A nice break in between big thick juicy novels.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #634
Blue Crack Distributor

#30 Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty

The third in a series following narrator Jessica Darling through her experiences of high school and college. It had been a couple years since I read the second book and had forgotten pretty much every character and everything that happened. But a lot of it came back to me as I made my way through this one.

I like the books, and look forward to reading the next book once it's in paperback.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #635
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've been reading like crazy lately, and I'm still only on my eleventh book of the year. You're making the rest of us look bad
Old 05-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #636
Blue Crack Distributor

My secret? Alternating novels that take time to read with chick lit or older-skewed young adult books that breeze by.

You get a pass for tackling The Satanic Verses, which would take me ages to read if I ever dared to tackle it. I have a copy, but am more likely to read Midnight's Children instead to see if I would read other Rushide books in the future. I've only read The Ground Beneath Her Feet, which I didn't love but didn't hate.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #637
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Salman Rushdie should take me out to dinner and make a few of my student loan payments because I read The Satanic Verses. It was very good, but it took me several months of pretty dedicated bedtime reading to get through it, and I like to think of myself as more patient than the average reader.

Has anyone picked up Jhumpa Lahiri's new collection of stories? I'm really looking forward to reading it. I'm going to hold off until after my vacation, though, since I usually only travel with paperbacks.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #638
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:26 AM
I can't wait to be done with school.

Having a job = more money for books.

Plus, no school = more time for fun reads.

As for what I'm reading right now...Gossip Girl # I don't know what...."Only In Your Dreams".
Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #639
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoIsMyMuse View Post
Has anyone picked up Jhumpa Lahiri's new collection of stories? I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Me too. I don't usually buy hardcovers, though, so I'll likely wait until paperback.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #640
Blue Crack Supplier

Umberto Eco owes me at least two dinners, then.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #641
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Salman Rushdie should take me out to dinner and make a few of my student loan payments because I read The Satanic Verses. It was very good, but it took me several months of pretty dedicated bedtime reading to get through it, and I like to think of myself as more patient than the average reader.
Were you going through it analyzing for style, themes, and stuff like that? Because I don't recall it taking me a undue amount of time to read - a week, maybe two weeks, tops?

Ulysses took me a good 3 months to get through last summer (during which time I took a few breaks and read several other books), and although I can say I've read it, I *still* don't know wtf was going on half the time. I think it would definitely take a reread to get more of it, but I'm not quite ready for that yet.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #642
Blue Crack Distributor

I've got Ulysses, Moby Dick and Satanic Verses for when I feel the need to delve into a book I'll never get around to finishing.

(or at least read some of the "hard" book, put it aside in favor of something lighter, and keep alternating)
Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #643
Blue Crack Distributor

Cori, you really should read Midnight's Children. I adore that book, it was amazing. Well worth it.

I'll eventually reread it, too.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #644
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have a PhD and haven't read Moby Dick. Nor do I ever plan to, if I can help it
Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #645
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I have a PhD and haven't read Moby Dick. Nor do I ever plan to, if I can help it
I thought I'd remembered reading that you have a graduate degree. In literature, right? And that you write, as well? That's why I was wondering if you were doing analysis as you read, as opposed to the more superficial kind of reading that I would do, in comparison.

Themes and things like that seem to go right over my head. Unless I go back and reread expressly for that purpose. On first readings, I tend to devour books for the plot, characters, settings, etc.

Tags
books, reading