books - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #526
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:29 PM
#17 Alone In the Kitchen With An Eggplant - edited by Jenni Ferrari-Adler

Essays with the subtitle "Confessions of Cooking For One and Dining Alone." I really enjoyed most of the essays here, and picked up some yummy-sounding recipes.

We'll see if I actually get around to trying them out, since I am way too lazy when it comes to cooking for myself. I usually can't be bothered.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #527
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:29 PM
I think I'm either going to start reading The Road or No Country For Old Men (both by Cormac McCarthy) today. Any suggestions on which I should choose?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #528
Protecting my eyes ARRRR!!!

Local Time: 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2
I have. And they were negative for a reason. Any one who has read Sebold's books know they are not for the faint of heart, but The Almost Moon just crossed the line of taste. And the story itself didn't make much sense. It seemed to me like she rushed to finish it. I honestly can't find anything redeeming to say about it at all. Big waste of money and the time spent reading it.
I loved Alice Sebolds first 2 books. Shame this 3rd one hasn't got as good reviews. Think i might not bother getting it from the library now.

Quote:
Originally posted by ThoraSEB
Memoirs of a Geisha is an excellent book. I highly recommend it.
I love this book.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
Still reading The Satanic Verses
I tried to read this but just couldn't get into it. Might try go back to it but for now i have just given up.

6 countries,11 shows. AMAZING FRIENDS AND MEMORIES = Jem's priceless 360 Tour
Old 03-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #529
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:29 PM
I'm about halfway through it, but I've been trying to read it since the fall. I read a few chapters, then pick up something else, which is really not like me. The writing is lovely, but it's such a sprawling, complicated tale that it makes my head spin sometimes. There are a lot of secondary characters to mix up. But every time I'm about to give up on it, there's something that really captures my attention. Considering I spend most of my time reading things written by 18 and 19-year-olds, it's good to be reading something that really challenges me. I definitely see a fluff read after this, though
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #530
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I still haven't read what I said I was going to a long time ago but I think I will one day
Old 03-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #531
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Finished "In My Skin" by Kate Holden, which is a vivid, clear-eyed and often confronting memoir detailing the author's descent into heroin addiction and the subsequent turn to prostitution in order to sustain her habit. Definitely not for the squeamish as the books gets quite graphic in places, but I thought that the story was beautifully written.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #532
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Finished Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris. Since it can be read in about 15 minutes, there wasn't really any excuse I had for not reading it. But it was really good, nice and sharp and not too smug. I'll probably keep having a look at similar books for a while.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #533
Protecting my eyes ARRRR!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I'm about halfway through it, but I've been trying to read it since the fall. I read a few chapters, then pick up something else, which is really not like me. The writing is lovely, but it's such a sprawling, complicated tale that it makes my head spin sometimes. There are a lot of secondary characters to mix up. But every time I'm about to give up on it, there's something that really captures my attention. Considering I spend most of my time reading things written by 18 and 19-year-olds, it's good to be reading something that really challenges me. I definitely see a fluff read after this, though
I barely made it past the first chapter. It was making my head spin too. Maybe i will give it another chance. I had to read 2 fluff books after the one chapter i made it through.

6 countries,11 shows. AMAZING FRIENDS AND MEMORIES = Jem's priceless 360 Tour
Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #534
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Finished Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris. Since it can be read in about 15 minutes, there wasn't really any excuse I had for not reading it. But it was really good, nice and sharp and not too smug. I'll probably keep having a look at similar books for a while.

Did you read Christopher Hitchens' recent book God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything? It's probably a lot more smug but I've heard good things about it.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #535
Blue Crack Addict

It's hard for me to contribute something to this topic, because I mostly read German literature, like German expressionist writers, and in recent years I have focused a lot on contemporary Austrian and German literature, most of all poetry and more experimental stuff. I love poetry, I collect it and I'm also interested in poetic theory. I teach literature and work with a lot of poetry from the beginning of the 20th century up to now.

But to add something totally different: I've started to read The Last Unicorn again (in English), just because I love the story and I love unicorns. I like the book so much better than the film and there are scenes in it that are so beautiful, it makes me want to cry.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #536
Blue Crack Distributor

#18 How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls by Zoey Dean.

I heard about this book somewhere online - it's been optioned for a movie, or it's being filmed, something like that. So I checked it out.

Yale grad ends up being hired to prep two spoiled heiresses for the SATs and college entry. Hijinks and learned lessons ensue.

It was a really fun read - a lot of it was predictable, but I didn't care. It was fun.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

I just finished reading Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis for my rock history class. I'd read American Psycho before and liked it, so I was expecting the same enjoyment out of his first novel. I did end up liking it a lot, though it left me feeling a lot more empty and sad than American Psycho; I think because that book was just absurd enough to laugh at through all of the horrific crimes Patrick Bateman commits.

Less Than Zero follows Clay around L.A. while he's home from New Hampshire on Christmas Break. He joins up with his old friends and falls into the heavy drug and party scene again. What bothered me most about his character was the indifference he had to his friends' actions, most of which were despicable, but Ellis did a great job at portraying some of what the 1980s were all about, at least in the rich class.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #538
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Just started reading I Like It Like That, the fifth Gossip Girl book.

Guilty pleasures
Old 03-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #539
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
I just finished reading Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis for my rock history class.
So what does Bret Easton Ellis have to do with rock history? Are you just studying the coke-fueled 80s, or because it has the title of an Elvis Costello song?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #540
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men

Great book, with a real sense of time and place and economical but vivid style. I can sometimes be put off by this particular brand of terse, "manly man" writing but I loved it here. I've seen the film before I've read the book and it made for interesting comparisons between the way the same story is treated in two mediums. The cat-and-mouse chase game between Moss and Chigurh kept me on the edge of the seat at the cinema but I found it probably the least compelling thing about the novel. Whereas the film's much-debated ending works a million times better in the book, not in the least because Sheriff Bell's character and presence is so much stronger. The chapters with his musings and monologues scattered throughout the novel were my favourites and his character was so incredibly poignant.

Tags
books, reading