books - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

i love all the hype and going to the midnight opening with all the fans
oh me too!! it is so much fun. i do it every time. i've met some really awesome people at those parties. lol i also then shut off my phone for the entire weekend and lock myself in my room to read it all. i always reread it later, but i just cant stand having things like that spoiled for me. i could imagine the devastation when some of the plot leaked when the other books came out. i refuse to let it happen to me.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:16 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:33 AM
Quote:

And a large portion are adults, too.

I find that younger cousins remember more about those books than us old ones do.
Yes, a lot of adults read them, I know. But a lot of kids do, too, and I actually do not find that kids recall those books more than adults do, and that could be why she uses repetition as a literary device.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

Yes, a lot of adults read them, I know. But a lot of kids do, too, and I actually do not find that kids recall those books more than adults do, and that could be why she uses repetition as a literary device.
sometimes i need the repetition
Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

I need the repetition. I'm not as involved in the whole world of Harry Potter as some of the fans, and I can't remember what happens from book to book when it's several years between each one.

They're a fun read. I enjoy the movies as well and am looking forward to the next one.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:19 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

You don't hear me complaining about the repetition. Hell, when I read book 5 it'll have been 6 years since I read #4.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Ahh, reading. My favorite hobby. I love and read all varieties of books, from trashy romance novels to heavy duty literature. I like girly books too, such as the ones by Jennifer Weiner. "Alternate Beauty" is a good one too. John Grisham's books are thrilling. I loved the Da Vinci code but I admit Angels and Demons wasn't as good. Anyone read Deception Point?
Old 01-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Jennifer Weiner

As fun as her first few books were, I think she's getting better. Goodnight, Nobody was very, very good, and I hear her latest collection of stories is supposed to be excellent as well.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

Well I find it to be the opposite.

Oh well, I'll just be the only one complaining
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Well I find it to be the opposite.

Oh well, I'll just be the only one complaining
Yup, I know you do, that's why I replied. I get it.

I'd complain about it, too, if I experienced it a lot with otehr series. But, since I have not, I can tolerate it here an there. And, I'll need it for Book 5, as I said, since it's been ages since I read the prior 4.

You know what bothers...or, actually, distracts me, when reading...overuse of onomatopoeia. This is probably a petty complaint but if I see it too much in one book...or go on too long in a passage, it irks me. I like a lot of Thomas Wolfe's books, for example, but he uses this device a little too much for my liking. But, that's his thing.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:33 AM
I am a complete book My idea of a good time is curling up with a book and some music playing in the background

For me it's anything by John Grishmam,Nora Roberts,Stephen King and VC Andrews. Never have been one to shy away from other authors though.

Btw "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "The Great Gatbsy" are some of the best books ever!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

Oh man, I used to love Nora Roberts. I haven't read any of hers in years, but the ones I read, I loved.

I still have my VC Andrews books. Such a guilty pleasure. She died ages ago, didn't she? And yet her estate still has oodles of writers writing books under her name, following the same template.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
excellent book that one
invaluable to understand the forces going on in economics the last couple of years and the next decade or so

I left it on a plane with about 40 pages to go. Have any idea how annoying that is? Half or more to go, and you re-purchase. 40 pages though, you don't. I don't know anyone else who's read it either. I know, I know, find a library.....
Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Oh man, I used to love Nora Roberts. I haven't read any of hers in years, but the ones I read, I loved.

I still have my VC Andrews books. Such a guilty pleasure. She died ages ago, didn't she? And yet her estate still has oodles of writers writing books under her name, following the same template.
I discovered Nora over the summer and fell in love with the first book I read of her's. Just finished reading "Blue Dahlia" which is the first in the series of "In The Garden". Had a horrible time putting the book down!

Yes VC died some years ago was really shocked when I realized she had passed. It's really nice that the new writers didn't change anything.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
I loved the Da Vinci code but I admit Angels and Demons wasn't as good. Anyone read Deception Point?
I've read Deception Point. It's good, it's a fairly similar plot line as his other books, but exciting nonetheless.

Right now I'm reading House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski and House of God by Samuel Shem. Both are very good. House of Leaves is a newer book and it's pretty much insane. I don't even know how to explain any of it.

House of God is about a hospital and becoming a doctor (fiction). It's a lot like Catch-22, but replacing the military with doctors.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

how about poetry? anybody read Rumi, Hafiz, Kahlil Gibran? they are my faves

Tags
books, reading