books - Page 29 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #421
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Still.....

reading.......

the name of the rose......

So many excellent parts, hidden amongst Eco's diatribes.....

must finish......

Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #422
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:55 PM
I've finished both Fury and Shalimar the Clown by Rushdie.

I find Rushdie at his best when writing his stories in the context of geopolitical and historical events. Fury is the first book of his I've read that didn't really include any of that within the story - it's more an examination of a middle aged man's existential crisis, within the framework of cultural differences. Of the four books of his I've now read, I'd rank it the lowest, but still worth a read.

Shalimar the Clown - wow. I find Rushdie's books very dense with events and characters, and while this was a good book, maybe it was a little too dense? The book begins in the present. takes a long look back at the past, starting in pre-WWII Europe, and going up to the 90's, set mostly in Kashmir, before concluding the story that takes place in the present. In particular, I found the characters involved in the various wars and tribal invasions a little hard to keep up with, but I guess that's what you get with a book like this. I was a little disappointed by the ending. Of Rushdie's books, this ranks 3rd for me.

Next up are William Gibson's Neuromancer, and Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace. I've read the first 20 or so pages of Gibson's book, and I'm not sure if it's going to hold my interest, I'm not a sci-fi fan. I'm looking forward to Alias Grace, though.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #423
Blue Crack Supplier

Have fun with Neuromancer. It's one of the best books of the last 25 years.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #424
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:55 PM
I'm thinking of picking up "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas" after I'm done with the Brokaw book I'm reading now. Has anyone here read it? I've heard it's excellent.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #425
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
I've finished both Fury and Shalimar the Clown by Rushdie.

I find Rushdie at his best when writing his stories in the context of geopolitical and historical events. Fury is the first book of his I've read that didn't really include any of that within the story - it's more an examination of a middle aged man's existential crisis, within the framework of cultural differences. Of the four books of his I've now read, I'd rank it the lowest, but still worth a read.

I liked Fury because it was a bit different from his other books. My husband is reading his new book (not sure if it's been released yet), The Enchantress of Florence and he's really enjoying it.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #426
War Child

Local Time: 08:55 PM
I'm currently reading The Westies

Inside New York's irish mob, and it's a great read, you won't put it down!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #427
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm pretty convinced I'm going to be reading The Satanic Verses for months. I'm enjoying it enough not to give up on it, but as has been my experience with Rushdie before, the plot is unfolding very slowly and in a very non-linear way, and there are a lot of tangents and secondary characters.

I also started Robert Olen Butler's collection of short short stories Severance the other nice. It's an interesting concept--apparently, based on how long a severed human head remains conscious and how many words a person speaks in an excited or emotionally heightened state, a severed human head can think roughly 240 words. So these are all 240 word short shorts by people who've been decapitated. Nice use of language, though there's not much by way of plot. They're enjoyable little reads, though.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #428
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:55 AM
just finished Stephen Fry's The Liar
it was a hoot

now reading Jose Saramago's Blindness
it's good but I only read about 1/4 of it so far
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #429
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:55 AM
reading great book

I'm reading a book about Meena, the founder of the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #430
Blue Crack Distributor

#10 Perfect From Now On - John Sellers

As a writer and a music nut, I have oodles of room in my heart for music nuts who write books about their musical obsessions, especially when they're around my age.

Sellers wrote a really funny book about his musical loves, with a couple of chapters focused on Guided By Voices, including a sojourn to Ohio to hang with the band and attend their last handful of concerts before breaking up. I feel the need to seek out more GBV now.

The only thing I didn't like was a reliance on too many footnotes. He does acknowledge at one point that it's a reference to one of his favorite authors, but I would have preferred less footnotes. Most of them were funny comments, but at some point you have to ask yourself, "why don't I just put this in the text itself and not a footnote?"

Anyway, I liked it an awful lot, and it made me laugh out loud many times.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #431
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Now I've gotta read Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby for school. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #432
War Child

Local Time: 10:55 PM
^
That was a good one. Did you read Mary Shelly's Frankenstein yet? It's one of my favorites.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #433
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I really love The Great Gatsby now, but I remember hating it in high school. It's slow in a lot of places, but there's this real aching beauty to it. It's also fascinating to see what Nick ultimately learns about himself by telling Gatsby's story.

On the other hand, I really hated Frankenstein. I think at least 100 pages of it was long, boring passages about the mountains and the trees
Old 02-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #434
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Green Eyes
^
That was a good one. Did you read Mary Shelly's Frankenstein yet? It's one of my favorites.
Not yet.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #435
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Now I've gotta read Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby for school. I'm really looking forward to it.

Because it's so much about shattered dreams and the sad acceptance of loss and adulthood, I'm surprised they spring this on people so early on. Many students are turned off because they can't relate to it in the way that they do with Catcher in the Rye, for example. But if you open yourself up to its melancholy, it will hit and haunt you like no other assigned novel.

Not my favorite Fitzgerald (that would be Tender is the Night), but about as perfect and concise a masterpiece there is.

On my end, I'm about 1/3 through The Road. Im enjoying it, but I'm still waiting for something to happen.

Tags
books, reading