books - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #406
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:17 PM
me too ^^

i just read Sting's. it wasnt very good. Andy Summers' really was awesome though!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #407
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonchick

It's very different. The basic idea of an infertile world is still there and the major plot line of the first pregnancy in 20-something years is still there, the major characters are also still there but they have, in some cases (particularly Julian i guess), very different roles. I was sad to see so little of Jasper, he was my absolute favourite in the movie and there isn't much of him in the book...and he was just different.

In some ways I really preferred the movie, I don't know if it's because I saw it before reading the book or because the way they told the story was just much more effective.

I'd still recommend it though, just don't expect anything too similar to the movie.

The movie is also one of my favourites.
Hmm, I'll add it to my shortlist.

I'm readin' me some Ethan Coen (of the Coen Bros.) short stories right now, they ain't disappointin'.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:01 PM   #408
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I had no idea he'd written a book.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 PM   #409
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:17 AM
Still reading "The Name of the Rose". Normally I'd have read 2-3 books in the time it's taking me to read this. I am enjoying it, but it's sometimes slow going...which is ok.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:44 AM   #410
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I'm on a re-reading streak at the moment, just revisited Ira Levin's "Rosemary's Baby". It's still very creepy and brilliantly constructed; it's fun to notice the foreshadowings and hints sprinkled throughout the book once you know the ending.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #411
Blue Crack Addict

I've just been reading trashy stuff (mysteries, fantasy, etc.) this year, apart from The Bloody Chamber.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #412
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:17 PM
My mom sent my King's new novel today, Duma Key.

The first page alone is one of the better samples of his writing to date.

This is very promising indeed.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #413
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
I've just been reading trashy stuff (mysteries, fantasy, etc.) this year, apart from The Bloody Chamber.
Trashy stuff like what?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #414
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Still reading "The Name of the Rose". Normally I'd have read 2-3 books in the time it's taking me to read this. I am enjoying it, but it's sometimes slow going...which is ok.
I really, really struggled with this book. Especially the slow beginning. I couldn't help but feel that Eco wanted to basically write an academic piece except disguised in fiction and it came out a holy mess.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #415
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I really, really struggled with this book. Especially the slow beginning. I couldn't help but feel that Eco wanted to basically write an academic piece except disguised in fiction and it came out a holy mess.
I am not sure I'd call it a mess, as it picked up after the first 100 pages or so, and it does have me curious about who the murder is, but, yes, it does seem as if he dressed up an academic piece as fiction....but he's done that since as well.

Almost done.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #416
War Child

I just finished a great book called Talk, Talk by. T.C. Boyle. It was about a deaf woman who gets her identity stolen from her. So she and her hearing boyfriend go across the country (from CA to NY), tracking down the man who has stolen her life from her. I listened to it, with the author narrating, who told his story in a great, rich tone of voice. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #417
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm about halfway through Slaugtherhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, really enjoying it so far.

This is the second book of his I read, the first one was Breakfast of Champions .
Old 02-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #418
Blue Crack Distributor

#9 Green River, Running Red Ann Rule

Geez, I need about 20 hugs after finishing this. The Pacific Northwest sure has had its share of serial killers: Ted Bundy did some killing here, as did the Hillside Strangler, the mand in Spokane who killed a bunch of prostitues, the pig farmer in British Columbia who did the same (although I believe his trial is still going on).

And of course, the Green River Killer, who killed dozens of women (mainly prostitutes) in Seattle and its southern suburbs in the early 80s. A lengthy book, but you try writing a book where a killer isn't caught for almost 20 years and giving the majority of the victims enough face-time so they remain people, not just victims and numbers ... in less than 650 pages.

I remember Gary Ridgway's arrest, not long after I moved here. It was quite a time. Reading about it is horrifying and moving, and often gut-wrenching as Ridgway walks the task force through the murders, taking them to their burial places (many of the bodies had gone long-undiscovered, but for years, people would stumble across bones in remote locations in western Washington).

I found this book a better read than Ann Rule's book about Ted Bundy (she worked alongside Bundy at a crisis center and was in contact with him for years, even after his arrest).

But god, what a horror.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #419
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm now reading "Boom!: Voices of the Sixties" by Tom Brokaw, and I think it's brilliant. He really breaks down the decade well giving his personal observations and those of people, both well-known and not, who lived through those times. If you're interested in the era, I couldn't recommend it enough.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #420
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just finished "Cave in the Snow: Tenzin Palmo's Quest for Enlightenment" by Vicki MacKenzie. It's a biography of a UK-born woman who became the first fully ordained Western Buddhist nun and spent 12 years living in a cave in Northern India, in almost complete solitude. The writing is a bit pedestrian, but the woman herself and her story are so extraordinary that it still made for a fascinating read.

Tags
books, reading