books - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #391
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
I'm about 100 pages into The Satanic Verses and have misplaced my copy of it. I know it's here somewhere, but if I don't find it soon, I'm going to have to start over
Excellent choice. Have you red The Ground Beneath Her Feet as well? Rushdie

I am trying to decide whether to begin the Princes of Ireland series by Edward Rutherford, or tackle Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth which my sister insists I read. Decisions.....decisions.....

regardless, I don't think there's too much more enjoyable than being engulfed in a really good book!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #392
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

Chris didn't find out until after graduating high school that he had a brother who was born when he was two years old. He only found this out because of information provided to him by old family friends he looked up on one of his early cross-country trips.

His parents may never have revealed this to Chris. We have no idea what kind of impact this had on him and I don't think anyone can say what decision was right for him.
You're right, and it was probably an even bigger blow that the child was the product of an on-going affair between Chris' dad and his first wife. Krakauer talked about how for the first 6 years of Chris' parents marriage, his father was still carrying on a relationship with his ex. That's just messed up.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #393
Babyface

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Trinity by Uris
Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #394
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230

Excellent choice. Have you red The Ground Beneath Her Feet as well? Rushdie
That's the only other one of his books I've read. I did finally find my copy of it and am back to reading it again. Rushdie's books take me a long time to read, though, because I spend half my time going back over his sentences and trying to figure out how he did what he just did. He's a real stylist, which is something I pay a lot of attention to in my own writing.

With reading so much for teaching, I've really gotten away from pleasure reading, and I've missed it. I'm resolving to read more for myself this year.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #395
Blue Crack Distributor

The only Rushdie I've read so far is Ground Beneath Her Feet, and I found it hard to get into. I've had others tell me that wasn't the best one to start with, so I definitely want to give him another chance.

I have The Satanic Verses and Midnight's Children at home, gathering dust on my shelves.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #396
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:47 AM
I'd forgotten about this thread. Since I have the day off today, I've read the entire thing, and have some good ideas of future books to buy.

Right now I'm reading Vanity Fair. I read it probably 15 years ago, and have totally forgotten the plot, etc. I'm about halfway thru right now, and am really enjoying it. I'm having a hard time keeping some of the characters straight, but it's very enjoyable so far.

Next up is Russka: The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherfurd. I bought this to read on vacation last month, but I had too many other books, and never got around to reading this one. I'm a Russian history nerd, so hopefully this will be a good read.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #397
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
The only Rushdie I've read so far is Ground Beneath Her Feet, and I found it hard to get into. I've had others tell me that wasn't the best one to start with, so I definitely want to give him another chance.
I think The Ground Beneath Her Feet and Fury are the two most accessible of his books.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #398
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

I have The Satanic Verses and Midnight's Children at home, gathering dust on my shelves.
You need to read both of these now. I'm trying to think of which I liked best, but really, I think I liked each in its own way. Maybe Midnight's Children wins just by a hair. I really enjoyed the historical aspects, and the way India's history parallels with the main character.

I've started Fury, and so far, I really like it. I've never read Ground Beneath Her Feet, but plan to get to it soon.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 PM   #399
Blue Crack Distributor

#8 Which Brings Me To You by Steve Almond and Julianna Baggott

A man and a woman meet at a wedding reception and rather than just hook up the old-fashioned way, decide to get all their past romantic histories and confessions out of the way first, via letters.

It started off slow for me, but once it got going, I really liked it. Some parts are funny, some parts are just a little sad. Good stuff!

I've read one of Julianna Baggott's books and didn't care for it. I read Steve Almond's Candyfreak and it was one of the most fun and funny books I'd ever read.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #400
45:33

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Anyone read Generals Die in Bed?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 AM   #401
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by susanp6
Well i started re-reading Harry Potter and i'm almost half way through Atonement which is very good. Can't wait to watch after reading!

its a beautiful movie , but very sad . loved it . thinking of getting the book
Old 01-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #402
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
#8 Which Brings Me To You by Steve Almond and Julianna Baggott

A man and a woman meet at a wedding reception and rather than just hook up the old-fashioned way, decide to get all their past romantic histories and confessions out of the way first, via letters.

It started off slow for me, but once it got going, I really liked it. Some parts are funny, some parts are just a little sad. Good stuff!

I've read one of Julianna Baggott's books and didn't care for it. I read Steve Almond's Candyfreak and it was one of the most fun and funny books I'd ever read.
I've wanted to read this. I'm not really much of a Julianna Baggott fan, but I really enjoyed both of Steve Almond's story collections, and he's also one of the nicest writers I've ever gotten to hang out with. Not that that really matters, but if I meet a writer and he or she is just a big old conceited jerk, I don't feel the need to rush out and read the rest of their work. He's got a new book of essays out, too, which I need to pick up.

How are you on your eighth book of the year? I'm only on my third. I feel like a slacker
Old 01-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #403
Blue Crack Distributor

The first handful of books I read were fast reads and not very long.

I read a lot on my bus rides to and from work, and let's face it - I don't have a lot of real life stuff that takes up my time.

(Please notice how I did not say 'I have no life'. )

I'll have to check out more of Almond's writing - I didn't know he had short story collections!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #404
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:47 PM
I love reading books and there are so many that I'd like to read.. and I've bought a lot of books that I haven't had time yet to read. but when I like a book by an author I have to go on reading books by the same author, and it's often like that so I haven't read that many books by a lot of different authors. XD

Today I started with a book by Anna Gavalda, I've never read anything by her before so I don't know if she's good yet.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #405
The Fly

I like reading biographies of contemporary musicians. That one about Bob Dylan is better than anything Conrad ever wrote.

Tags
books, reading