books - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #331
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:29 PM
#5 Model Student by Robin Hazlewood

Yes, another book about a young model learning the ropes of the biz, written by another former model. What can I say - I was sucked into the dark underbelly of the modelling life!

But I'm done for now. Even though this book was mostly as fun as the Porizkova book.

I also started, and abandoned, another book last week. The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver. It got raves last year, and ended up on some best-of lists. While it was an interesting scenario, and I did want to know what happened, there were just too many words.

Beautiful prose is one thing. Taking five paragraphs to explain how someone is feeling over and OVER again is another. Get to your freaking point.

So I chucked it after 100 pages. Life's too short for books you're not into. Especially when there's fluff about models to read.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #332
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:29 AM
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

One of those strange books which you can't put down while you're reading it, but seems less impressive after you had some time to digest it. I really enjoyed the book's first half dealing with Amir's childhood and his relationships with his father and Hassan, his friend/servant, even though as a character Hassan is a bit too saintly and simplistic. The last part of the book that describes Amir's return to Afghanistan didn't quite work though; it felt like a jarring change of pace and a bit too melodramatic. And though it's weird to be irked by a minor thing like this, I was annoyed by the description of the main hero talking like Al Pacino's character in "Godfather" when it's clearly Marlon Brando that the comparison is meant to refer to,

Old 01-16-2008, 04:01 AM   #333
45:33

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene

One of those strange books which you can't put down while you're reading it, but seems less impressive after you had some time to digest it. I really enjoyed the book's first half dealing with Amir's childhood and his relationships with his father and Hassan, his friend/servant, even though as a character Hassan is a bit too saintly and simplistic. The last part of the book that describes Amir's return to Afghanistan didn't quite work though; it felt like a jarring change of pace and a bit too melodramatic. And though it's weird to be irked by a minor thing like this, I was annoyed by the description of the main hero talking like Al Pacino's character in "Godfather" when it's clearly Marlon Brando that the comparison is meant to refer to,
I have to read this book for school, and I have to say since getting it I haven't been greatly looking forward to it. Maybe it's because we have to read about five other similarly themed books.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #334
Blue Crack Distributor

#6 The Anglophile by Laurie Gwen Shapiro

More chicklit, but one of the better ones I've read recently. There was a plot shift near the end that caught me off guard, and I'm not quite sure it worked for me, but in the end it came out okay, if a little weird.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #335
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:29 AM
I picked up Sarah Gruen's Water For Elephants while I was away for the holidays because I realized I'd forgotten to bring The Satanic Verses. I'm over 100 pages into it and I still can't decide if I like it. It's really well researched and authentic, but I can't say I really like the protagonist, and the writing isn't as strong as I was expecting it to be considering all the fuss I've heard about the book.

I'll probably use the Borders gift card I got for Christmas to pick up Love Is A Mixtape since it's out in paperback now.

Oh, and has anyone read the memoir Eat, Pray, Love? I can't remember the author (and am too lazy to look it up), but I've been thinking about buying that, too. It sounds like it could be wonderful or really fluffy and awful, so I'm not sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #336
Blue Crack Distributor

Yay, BonoIsMyMuse is back!

I absolutely LOVED Eat, Pray, Love. It's one of the best books I've read in the past several years. Elizabeth Gilbert is the author. I didn't think it was fluffy at all - considering some of the absolute fluff I read, I thought it was in a completely different world compared to that stuff.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:29 AM
There's a minister here in my town that is somewhat of a celebrity. Anyways, he wrote a book recently called SexGod that everyone has been talking about (in your classic midwestern, small town way).

So, I finally read it this last week while I was sick. Its actually spectacular. It is probably one of the most insightful books I've read in 10 years.

Very, very good. :shrugs:
Old 01-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

BTW - which one of you told me that I needed to read Stephen King's Dark Tower Series?

I'm 3/4 of the way through book 1 and I simply do not care. I don't love it. I don't hate it. I don't care at all.

Not good.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #339
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
There's a minister here in my town that is somewhat of a celebrity. Anyways, he wrote a book recently called SexGod that everyone has been talking about (in your classic midwestern, small town way).

So, I finally read it this last week while I was sick. Its actually spectacular. It is probably one of the most insightful books I've read in 10 years.

Very, very good. :shrugs:
Is this by Rob Bell? I´m looking for it in Amazon and I´m not sure if this is the same book.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah. Rob Bell is his name. Ugliest damn book I've ever bought.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #341
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
BTW - which one of you told me that I needed to read Stephen King's Dark Tower Series?

I'm 3/4 of the way through book 1 and I simply do not care. I don't love it. I don't hate it. I don't care at all.

Not good.
The series has been discussed at length in the TB thread? I remember feeling that way sort of through the first book. I didn't really get into it until the second. Doesn't sound like you'll have the patience for that, though.

Speaking of which, it pains me to say this, but I just finished King's The Cell, and what a clunker. It saddens me when he recycles from previous books. This one was definitely on the lower echelon of his books, for me.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I read a lot, so I'll try to finish it. How far into the 2nd book does it take to pic up?

He just got nailed by the succubus in the first book. That's where I'm at.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #343
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well, I read a lot, so I'll try to finish it. How far into the 2nd book does it take to pic up?

He just got nailed by the succubus in the first book. That's where I'm at.
I don't know that you could pick a specific moment in the book where it picks up, but I just know it did for me. Honestly, I forget a lot of details of the individual books, it's been so long since I read them, especially the earlier ones. And, a lot of people didn't like the 4th book as much, because it contains a lot of backstory, but I really enjoyed that one.

I should start from the beginning and reread the series back to back.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene

One of those strange books which you can't put down while you're reading it, but seems less impressive after you had some time to digest it.
I felt the same way. Later on I thought it was very cloying and maudlin. Further, it was as if I'd read this book before, but it was called something else, written by someone else.

Didn't make me want to pick up his new book, that's for sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #345
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I just finished "Kabul Beauty School" by Deborah Rodriguez. It was OK. I found the parts where she discussed the beauty school and the salon more interesting than her life in Afghanistan. Maybe it was because of how out of place she was due to her Western ways.

ETA: You do learn a lot of interesting customs of Afghanistan. Such as how they drink a lot of tea, and when they get married, both the bride and groom remove all body hair - except for their eyebrows and the hair on their head!

Now, I am reading "Boom!" by Tom Brokaw, about the 60s. Should be an interesting read. But as I go through the introductory part, I wonder if I should read "The Greatest Generation" first so I can get an idea of what the baby boomers were rebelling against.

Tags
books, reading