books - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
That was such a great character. And he went through hell for his beliefs and principles.

I would recommend every book written by Bill Bryson
He writes really great travel guides and books such as "A Short History of Nearly Everything", half-scientifical books.

It's always great fun to read these books, and you learn so much about the countries he travels through, you won't learn that ever in a ordinary documentary.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl
I'm currently reading "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.
excellent book that one
invaluable to understand the forces going on in economics the last couple of years and the next decade or so

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #18
you are what you is

reading my way through all the Harry Potters
started reading the 4th one a couple days ago

finished "the glass bead game" by Hermann Hesse a week or 2 ago
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
reading my way through all the Harry Potters
started reading the 4th one a couple days ago

finished "the glass bead game" by Hermann Hesse a week or 2 ago
Right after 9/11, like a lot of people here in the States, I was still in this kind of surreal state of being, and was having trouble rejoining my life, outside of returning to work. But, I wanted to keep things as normal as possible and reading was the place to start...but I didn't want to read anything too...challenging, or even dark or meditative...so I gave in and finally read the first Potter book....and it was the perfect tonic for how I was feeling at the time, so I immediately read the next 3....that's where I stopped, though, but I do own the 5th and intend to read it and eventually the series entire. So, while a few of the more high minded readers I know back home would rather be shot than read the Potter books, I'll always think of them fondly because they helped me through a tough time. Sorry to ramble!!!

I'll say again in here that if I had to name one non-classics author to read, I'd name Cormac McCarthy. This is if you're looking to read fiction, of course.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
excellent book that one
invaluable to understand the forces going on in economics the last couple of years and the next decade or so

Sounds like I should read this book Thank you.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Read absolutely everything by Terry Pratchett.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
Anything by David Sedaris. Anything.
My favorite is the piece from Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim where he talks about the versions of Santa Claus from other cultures. I laughed so hard, I cried. And I was on the bus home from work, so I was embarrassed to boot!

NSW, Steinbeck is a favorite of mine as well.

I alternate reading fluffy things like chick lit with books better defined as "literature."

One of the best books I read last year was Katharine Weber's Triangle, about the fictional last living survivor of the New York Triangle Shirtwaist fire. It was amazing.

In lighter fare, one of my favorite books from last year was But Enough About Me..., Jancee Dunn's memoir about being an MTV VJ and going on into rock journalism. Hilarious and chock full of amusing anecdotes, including a brief mention of Bono and his gigantic charisma.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

Right after 9/11, like a lot of people here in the States, I was still in this kind of surreal state of being, and was having trouble rejoining my life, outside of returning to work. But, I wanted to keep things as normal as possible and reading was the place to start...but I didn't want to read anything too...challenging, or even dark or meditative...so I gave in and finally read the first Potter book....and it was the perfect tonic for how I was feeling at the time, so I immediately read the next 3....that's where I stopped, though, but I do own the 5th and intend to read it and eventually the series entire. So, while a few of the more high minded readers I know back home would rather be shot than read the Potter books, I'll always think of them fondly because they helped me through a tough time. Sorry to ramble!!!

I'll say again in here that if I had to name one non-classics author to read, I'd name Cormac McCarthy. This is if you're looking to read fiction, of course.
ironically enough, same for me here too. there's always some sort of profound passage towards the end that seems to make perfect sense to me at that time because of whatever circumstances i'm going through.

that being said, book 3 has got to be my favorite. remus is the best character in the entire series, hands down (IMHO).
Old 01-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i'm also a sucker for James Redfield. has anybody else read his stuff?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

NSW, Steinbeck is a favorite of mine as well.

I alternate reading fluffy things like chick lit with books better defined as "literature."

Hard not to like Steinbeck.

I do the same thing...I like to bounce from genre to genre.....and, I don't want to just read the classics, or just read vacation type novels.....I want to read a little of everything in the realm of fiction. It's interesting to challenge myself now and then by attempting a Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow, etc....but, I also find rewards in reading breezier fare. But, that's just me.

Mia, interesting that we hit those books at the same time. Nice.

Books are simply transcendent.

I'm glad this thread exists, even if it's not quite as popular as "IO: I pee in my pants" or something akin to that.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I'm glad this thread exists, even if it's not quite as popular as "IO: I pee in my pants" or something akin to that.
i say I'm a fan of reading but with studying and being forced to read books (in another language) it's sucked all the enjoyment out of it for me. only another 12 weeks though.

redhot, i think the third hairy pothead book is great too. i think they're all fun to read but book 6 was tough for me to get through. i skipped massive chunks because it felt so repetitive or just setting the scene for the last book.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

redhot, i think the third hairy pothead book is great too. i think they're all fun to read but book 6 was tough for me to get through. i skipped massive chunks because it felt so repetitive or just setting the scene for the last book.
agreed!! i was gettin annoyed with it while reading. then i was smacked in the face at the end. i appreciated all the backstory, but only after finishing the book. i think i actually yelled "oh come ON!" a few times. my roommates were concerned.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

agreed!! i was gettin annoyed with it while reading. then i was smacked in the face at the end. i appreciated all the backstory, but only after finishing the book. i think i actually yelled "oh come ON!" a few times. my roommates were concerned.

i love all the hype and going to the midnight opening with all the fans

i got the boyfriend the first four books for christmas, i warned him rowling likes to repeat a lot of info you already know. i think by book two or three he was already complaining about that.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

I wonder if she does that knowing a large portion of her readers are children.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I wonder if she does that knowing a large portion of her readers are children.
And a large portion are adults, too.

I find that younger cousins remember more about those books than us old ones do.

Tags
books, reading