books - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 AM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I've read a total of three or four non-textbook books this year.

I miss reading for pleasure, but by the time a semester ends if I have a week or so off a book is the last thing I want to look at.
That's how it is for me. I read a ridiculous amount of crap during the year and I have no patience for books on my break, instead watching a ton of movies. With the exception of Lolita and my monthly subscription to Vanity Fair, I haven't read anything non-legal in print since the summer. Grim!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #242
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

That's how it is for me. I read a ridiculous amount of crap during the year and I have no patience for books on my break, instead watching a ton of movies. With the exception of Lolita and my monthly subscription to Vanity Fair, I haven't read anything non-legal in print since the summer. Grim!
I guess everyone's different. When I was doing undergrad, I also worked 30 or so hours a week, sometimes more, but I always made time to read. It didn't really matter to me how many textbooks I had, I love reading on my own too much to neglect it.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:55 AM   #243
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

I guess everyone's different. When I was doing undergrad, I also worked 30 or so hours a week, sometimes more, but I always made time to read. It didn't really matter to me how many textbooks I had, I love reading on my own too much to neglect it.
I was the same as the others. I barely read for pleasure for four years. Especially in the upper year honours courses, there was a ridiculous amount of journal reading I had to do, along with the texts. I couldn't bring myself to read for fun. To relax, I'd veg in front of the tv, slack-jawed. But happily, I've since resumed my pre-university reading habits.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

I was the same as the others. I barely read for pleasure for four years. Especially in the upper year honours courses, there was a ridiculous amount of journal reading I had to do, along with the texts. I couldn't bring myself to read for fun. To relax, I'd veg in front of the tv, slack-jawed. But happily, I've since resumed my pre-university reading habits.
Don't get me wrong, I found time to watch movies or a little TV, too, but, I just never could stop reading like that. I used to stay up insanely late, and that's likely how I found time to read. I guess you just make time for what's important to you?
Old 12-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I work as a TA, as an RA and am collaborating on another project with the mental health centre in addition to law school. Between law school and my RA position, I probably read something like 4000-5000 pages per term (of 3 months). I need to just lie down and do something brainless and TV does that a hell of a lot better than a book.

I love reading, I've read probably more books than a good majority of people out there. You worked 30 hrs a week but I bet you weren't sitting there reading for those 30 hrs. That's essentially all I do at work. Read cases and articles and legislation and ORB reports. So if I also went home to read a book I'd basically do nothing but read like 14 hrs a day lol. I love books, but not that much.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #246
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

I was the same as the others. I barely read for pleasure for four years. Especially in the upper year honours courses, there was a ridiculous amount of journal reading I had to do, along with the texts. I couldn't bring myself to read for fun.
Yeah, same here. The first two years I didn't read at all, but by my junior year I had gotten pretty good at it. By senior year I was reading the Hardy Boys and shit.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 AM   #247
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I work as a TA, as an RA and am collaborating on another project with the mental health centre in addition to law school. Between law school and my RA position, I probably read something like 4000-5000 pages per term (of 3 months). I need to just lie down and do something brainless and TV does that a hell of a lot better than a book.

I love reading, I've read probably more books than a good majority of people out there. You worked 30 hrs a week but I bet you weren't sitting there reading for those 30 hrs. That's essentially all I do at work. Read cases and articles and legislation and ORB reports. So if I also went home to read a book I'd basically do nothing but read like 14 hrs a day lol. I love books, but not that much.
Got it.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:16 AM   #248
Rock n' Roll Doggie

After labs and working and school related reading my mind is on overdrive. I really look forward to a book before sleep. It's my reward to myself every day.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 AM   #249
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:08 AM
I've read "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts while in India; I actually had a copy of the book at home but never got around to it, mostly because its 900+ page size kinda intimidated me. I shouldn't have worried though since the book was very easy to read; it's a fine adventure tale and the fact that I was in the country that most of the story is set in added nice extra dimension. Some of the book is a bit overwritten and at times the author relies on the kind of tryhard-poetic prose that is borderline cringeworthy, but overall I really enjoyed the book. Despite the dodgy binding job which left the book with a section of about 30 pages inserted twice, which meant that I missed out on the crucial plot information that was revealed somewhere in the 30 pages of story missing near the end.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Got it.
I bought a book today, my friend. Like an actual, fictional bounding of 250+ pages which I shall endeavour to read this week.

Thank you for the inspiration!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:53 PM   #251
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I bought a book today, my friend. Like an actual, fictional bounding of 250+ pages which I shall endeavour to read this week.

Thank you for the inspiration!
I feel like I browbeat you into it if anything. I'm ashamed.

What book???
Old 12-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I feel like I browbeat you into it if anything. I'm ashamed.

What book???
OK, but no judgment just because I bought a chick book. Yes? I will go back to the Theroux book I started this summer immediately after to redeem myself.

Eat, Pray, Love.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #253
Blue Crack Supplier

I never judge what people read, for 2 reasons:

1) At least that means they are reading something.

2) It's not like I sit around reading Proust or Joyce all day long.

An ex-girlfriend of mine, who is still a friend, loves and writes books in that vein, actually, and she's a Georgetown educated woman, hyper-bright......but she loves the escapism now and then.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

Once I read a Sidney Sheldon and it was highly entertaining. Then I picked up a second one and started feeling like he's some dirty old man.

And I actually think that lighter fare would be really fun to write. There's something to be said when you let go of pretensions and don't obsess over literary style.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #255
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Once I read a Sidney Sheldon and it was highly entertaining. Then I picked up a second one and started feeling like he's some dirty old man.

And I actually think that lighter fare would be really fun to write. There's something to be said when you let go of pretensions and don't obsess over literary style.
I am forced to agree, if only because that justifies my insistence on writing since I was a kid.

Tags
books, reading