books - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #226
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

When I'm finished with that I may start on The Handmaid's Tale. It's been on my shelf for a couple of years.
I really liked that book.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The Blind Assassin is another great book by Atwood. I love how she combines genres in the novel--everything from sci fi to romance--into a a complex, beautifully layered novel. It's a little long, but it reads very quickly, and it's a page-turner to the very end.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Children of the Men the book sounds like a great read, the movie is one of my favorites.
It's a lot different from the movie, though. It's a lot more depressing, actually. I'm only a few chapters in (still) because I actually don't own the book. I just pick it up every time I get dragged to Barnes and Noble.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #229
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

It's a lot different from the movie, though. It's a lot more depressing, actually. I'm only a few chapters in (still) because I actually don't own the book. I just pick it up every time I get dragged to Barnes and Noble.
More depressing than the movie? What happens? Does Theo fall down a well? Do kittens jump into meat grinders?

Those are really the only way CoM could get more depressing.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

More depressing than the movie? What happens? Does Theo fall down a well? Do kittens jump into meat grinders?
He falls down the well trying to save the kittens from the meat grinder
Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #231
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Such a noble man that Theo. I read the synopsis on wiki and wow, that sounds about 100000x less interesting than the film.

I'll probably read 2001 and 1984 before Chillen' of Men.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #232
Blue Crack Distributor

I thought it was time to resurrect* this thread, given that many of us got books for Christmas...and, because I'm reading an exceptionally good book at the moment.

Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs by Ken Jennings. Some of you might remember Jennings. He was the 74 game winner on Jeopardy back in 2004. I know that back then, me and most of my family watched his run with great interest, cheering him on. Since then, he's been blogging and keeping up his personal web site, making promotional appearances, etc.

This book is part autobiography, part history of trivia book, and part nerdy trivia worship. Jennings is articulate and funny with a delightfully snarky sense of humour, with a healthy dose of self-deprecation thrown in. Interspersed throughout the various nuggets of information is the story of his experience of becoming Jeopardy's longest-running contestant.

A must-read for Jennings fans, or even just plain ol' trivia buffs.

*While searching for this thread (keywords: what are you reading), I came up with about a gazillion Temple Bar threads. We're a surprisingly literate bunch in there.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:18 PM   #233
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Yay! Someone bumped the book thread! I'm on book #78 of the year, and I bought two more books today!

Wasn't that Ken Jennings book great? Have you seen his blog? There's some trivia/game related posts that I usually skip, but his non-trivia/game entires are usually hilarious.

I guess he lives somewhere in my area - I hope I have a Ken encounter someday!

http://www.ken-jennings.com/blog/
Old 12-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Yay! Someone bumped the book thread! I'm on book #78 of the year, and I bought two more books today!

Wasn't that Ken Jennings book great? Have you seen his blog? There's some trivia/game related posts that I usually skip, but his non-trivia/game entires are usually hilarious.

I guess he lives somewhere in my area - I hope I have a Ken encounter someday!

http://www.ken-jennings.com/blog/
I keep up with the blog sometimes (mostly my daughter does, though - she wants him to leave Mindy and marry her, even though he's much closer to my age than her's, so I'd like to think I have an equal shot ), and we both subscribe to his weekly e-mail trivia too. We checked when the book came out to see if he was doing any appearances around here, but alas, he wasn't.

Yeah, he's close to your area, isn't he? If you do happen to run into him, tell him he's got a couple of potential Plan B's waiting for him in the land of Trebek. Nerdy boys.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #235
Blue Crack Distributor

Consider the message delivered.

My favorite part in the book was when he talked about the annual trivia contest at the University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point. My home town isn't far from Stevens Point, and I loved listening to their college station.

The annual trivia contest was fascinating to me - it's one of the largest in the world, if I recall correctly, and while I never knew any of the answers, I'd listen to as much of the contest as I could.

When I was in college, our teeny radio station (10 watts) held an annual trivia contest as well, and while it was as teeny as the station, it was a blast to be one of the DJs, up all night reading the questions and playing whatever we wanted, while consuming vast quantities of junk food.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #236
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

When I'm finished with that I may start on The Handmaid's Tale. It's been on my shelf for a couple of years.
Still on my shelf.

I've read a total of three or four non-textbook books this year.

I miss reading for pleasure, but by the time a semester ends if I have a week or so off a book is the last thing I want to look at.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #237
Blue Crack Supplier

Any Douglas Coupland fans here? I just finished Hey Nostradamus! and was pretty blown away. I'm rarely disappointed in his work, but this is the strongest thing he's done in a long time, certainly better than last year's J-Pod, which may have been his career low.

Next up: the recently-adapted-for-the-screen graphic novel Persepolis, and a short story collection by Scottish author Alasdair Gray, who wrote the best book I've read this year, Lanark (epic masterpiece).

Another note: if anyone's interested in reading J.D. Salinger's uncollected magazine stories (about 15 total), I found a website that has them and am currently editing everything for uniform font and size so they're easier to read. I'm VERY excited about this, as it's kind of like getting new material from a dead author (and we probably won't get any until he actually is dead).
Old 12-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #238
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Any Douglas Coupland fans here? I just finished Hey Nostradamus! and was pretty blown away. I'm rarely disappointed in his work, but this is the strongest thing he's done in a long time, certainly better than last year's J-Pod, which may have been his career low.
Oh, that's a bummer. I've had J-Pod sitting on my shelf for a while, and I've been looking forward to reading it. I loved Microserfs and was hoping I'd like this one just as much. I'll still read it, maybe if I go in with lowered expectations it won't be that bad.

I haven't read a lot of Coupland, but I'll check out Hey Nostradamus.

I just read I, California by Stacy Grenrock Woods. What a weird book. It started off promising: a snarky little memoir about a weird little girl with dreams of fame and who ends up in show business.

But man, while some of her turns of phrase were funny, as the book went on, I often had no freaking clue what she was talking about.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #239
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:39 AM
I just finished Birds Of A Feather by Linda Johns.

Linda runs a wild bird sanctuary in Nova Scotia, and the book is all about the trials and tribulations of everything that goes with that. She's also quite the artists as all the illustrations are done by her. It's a very touching story, quite witty at times, and quite sad at times as well.

Great read!

I'm excited to see that she has other books out as well..
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #240
Blue Crack Supplier

Finished Streets of Laredo, which was not as great as its predecessor, but still good.

Before that, had read the Kite Runner, before that was Children of Hurin, and before that, I think, was City of G-d.

Right now, am reading A Small Town in Germany, which is a very early work from LeCarre.

Books.

Tags
books, reading