books - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #211
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 11:12 AM
I've had Ulysses on my shelf for years. Never picked it up cause I know I'm going to take 4 months to read it.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #212
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
After a couple of months of stopping and starting I've finally finished Joyce's Ulysses.

Wow. It was an incredibly hard read. I'd often find myself drifting while reading it, and then not even having a clue what I'd just read on the previous page, and having to go back and reread.

Maybe it's just me and my low-brow tastes talking, but I found it to be an over-hyped, pretentious, stream-of-consciousness set of ramblings.

I'm curious as to what others have thought. Comments?
did you get through the last 60 pages without lifting your eyes from the pages?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:09 PM   #213
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
I've had Ulysses on my shelf for years. Never picked it up cause I know I'm going to take 4 months to read it.
Read it and get back to me, then.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #214
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

did you get through the last 60 pages without lifting your eyes from the pages?

Was there some olde-timey system of punctuation (or lack thereof) back in the day, that I'm not aware of?

The way Molly rambled, and many of the other characters, too, it was very difficult to keep track of who they were referring to.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #215
Blue Crack Distributor

Come to think of it, maybe it's just the way of the Irish. It was a lot like attempting to listen to Bono rambling.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:05 AM   #216
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 08:12 AM
I spent about three hours in Barnes and Noble today

Among other things, I bought and started reading We, The Jury which is a new book written by seven of the jury members who sentenced Scott Peterson to death.

I've read pretty much everything that's been written about this case and I think it will be very interesting to read exactly how the jury reached their verdict.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Are we all being lazy and not reading this summer?

I finished Richard Ford's newest novel The Lay of the Land while I was on vacation last week. It's the last book in the trilogy about Frank Bascombe, and I have to say that I think it was the best of the three (the other two being The Sportswriter and Independence Day). I often wondered while reading if Ford ever intended to write more than one book about Frank, but I'm glad he did. The Sportswriter was one of my favorite books in college, and reading this was like catching up with an old friend. It's slow in places, but overall I really liked the style and the character development. Some zany things happen in the last 25 pages, but the ending is just right.

I also took The Prince of Tides with me on my trip because I wanted a fluff read. I'm surprised that it's a lot less fluff than I expected. It's so different from the movie. I'm over 150 pages in and I still have 500 to go
Old 07-03-2007, 05:46 AM   #218
New Yorker

My favorite book is "The Vagina Monologues" compiled by Eve Ensler. It's a great collection of stories by women...but for all. I have had my friends (women and men) read it, my friend's mothers. It's just empowering.

What else? I just went to Books-A-Million and bought a book called "The Lives of Animals" by J.M. Coetzee. It's very interesting and thought-provoking.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Finished off "The Time Traveler's Wife" a week ago. Slowly getting through "The Bourne Identity" now, though I've got too much other stuff going on to get into it. I probably won't finish it by the time HP-7 comes out.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #220
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm up to book 45 of the year.

I just finished a really trashy romance that was heavy on the smut. It was very, very silly. And yet I couldn't put it down.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #221
Blue Crack Distributor

I finished How Sassy Changed My Life in about two days, and now I'm reading Kitchen Confidential and am already about halfway through it.

When I'm finished with that I may start on The Handmaid's Tale. It's been on my shelf for a couple of years.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #222
Blue Crack Distributor

I loved Kitchen Confidential! I love Margaret Atwood, too.

How was that Sassy book? I'm curious about it for nostalgia's sake. It didn't change my life or anything, but man, I wish I'd kept my Sassy collection.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
When I'm finished with that I may start on The Handmaid's Tale. It's been on my shelf for a couple of years.
It's a great and depressing book. My English teacher made us read it in 11th grade. I should really pick it up again. The ending was really muddled for me then and I'm sure I'd have a better understanding of it now.

As for myself, I'm just finishing Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix (book 5). I'm also nearly done with re-reading Animal Farm and I'm still in the middle of The Kite Runner.
Unfortunately, I want to finish with the Harry Potter series before the other book is released, so I'm going to have to continue putting my other books on hold.
Red Dragon
The Children of Men

Ohh, and I want to read The Audacity of Hope sooner or later. Maybe I'll hold off on it until next year when the political race heats up.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #224
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:12 AM
I have to read Kite Runner and The Emperor Was Divine for school. I'm hoping it's about Emperor Palpatine, but I doubt it.

I hope I can pick up HP7 on the 21st before I go to the airport, it would be perfect to read on the trip.

Children of the Men the book sounds like a great read, the movie is one of my favorites.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #225
Blue Crack Supplier

I read Kitchen Confidential, loved it. The Handmaid's Tale is the only Atwood title that I've read, though I own another.

I am about to wrap up "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian. Hate reading books after I've seen the film, but since the film is actually 2 O'Brian books combined, I went for it. I'm digging it.

Prince of Tides. Nice. I like Conroy a lot, well, I like 3 of his books a lot, one not so much.

I read the first 4 Potter books in rapid succession after 9/11, have not read the 5th yet...might try to jam through it in advance of the film.

Books.

Tags
books, reading