books - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by *browneyedgirl*
I've seen all the Stephen King movies and but never read the books, I envy the readers.
I read The Shining for the first time last year, after having grown up seeing the movie so many times. The differences are astounding. While the movie is fantastic on its own, and Kubrick did a great job with it, it really doesn't capture the essence of the book well. In my opinion, it leaves too much out (although some of the things it added were excellent additions), and changes the ending.

So what I'm trying to say is, read the books

Old 04-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2

I have. I liked it even better then The Alchemist. All of his books are amazing. 11 Minutes is probably my favorite. Veronika Decides to Die is also incredible.
Ah thanks! Must definitely get it from the library....

Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #168
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:32 AM
i picked up three books last night thanks to a gift certificate my mom gave me for christmas. the other two are in my car and i've already forgotten what they're called, but right now i'm reading other voices, other rooms.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #169
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 04:32 AM
I'm reading about Amy Tan's life in The Opposite Of fate - Memories Of A Writing Life.

She's doing a reading and signing at one of the branches in our district and I can't wait to meet her.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #170
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

My sister met Amy Tan and says she is really nice and personable. Hope you get to meet her.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #171
The Fly

Local Time: 12:32 PM
I just read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

It pretty much blew my mind, I have never read anything so amazing. Now my summer goal is to read all of Dostoyevsky's greats, like The Idiot and whatnot. Oh man I'm so excited.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #172
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by vivalapopedge
i just did a massive research project for a school class on "all quiet on the western front", a book about soldiers in WWI, and i think it's one of the best books i've ever read. i can't do it justice here, but trust me, i'm glad i chose that for a three month research project over something else

Ha, I did a paper on this book last semester! An absolutely gorgeous book. I remember I saw the film in grade 10 history class and was thoroughly unimpressed, but the book is amazing!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #173
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

My husband's reading A Thousand Splendid Suns now (I think it comes out near the end of next month). He didn't like The Kite Runner very much, though, so I'm not really sure why he's reading it!
Interesting, I'll have to check out A Thousand Splendid Suns when it comes out. Do you happen to know why your husband didn't like The Kite Runner?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:33 AM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i'm finally reading catch 22 and enjoying it. i love the writing style and the just little things that make me laugh. the cautionary tale curriculum gets old and even if this falls under that category maybe a little, the irony is done right and i love it

i wanted to check out breakfast of champions because that's the one i havent read by kurt vonnegut. but our school library blows and has like no vonnegut. lame.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:25 AM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife

Interesting, I'll have to check out A Thousand Splendid Suns when it comes out. Do you happen to know why your husband didn't like The Kite Runner?
Okay, apparently I was wrong, and he did like it (I really should find out these things before I speak for other people! ). He said he didn't like the main character, though. Here's his review:

"I enjoyed The Kite Runner. But it was all just a little too easy. The subject of childhood regret is like a scenic spot that has been visited too often; the emotional centre so contrite and self-indulgent it feels like a get-out-of-jail-free card; the setting in Afghanistan certain to elicit bursts of pity from its globally conscious readership but in style, structure, characters and plot it is inherently a ‘Western’ novel. It is like a Butlins in Kabul.
Read this book. Its clear, uncluttered prose is sometimes beautiful and the emotional honesty of its author gives it a clarity that many bestsellers lack. It is a perfect paperback: light, easy to read and moving. It is no wonder Khaled Hosseini has received glowing praise. But at no point did I feel the breath being sucked out of me as my mind whirled to comprehend how I had been lucky enough to stumble upon a book of this magnitude. For me, that is what sets apart a great book from the rest."
Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #176
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:32 PM
im reading Bono on Bono: Conversations

so funny
Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Reading several books at once.

The Kite Runner -
I'm a few chapters in. I had to quit about a month ago since I had so many books to read this semester. I can't even remember where I stopped. At least its a quick read.

Lolita (on tape) -
Picked this up from got_edge. Jeremy Irons narrates it in his voice. I'm on the 4th section of like...40. It's going to take me a while. I've never done a book on tape before. You really need a good reader though, one who puts emotion into it and such. It's easy for me with Jeremy Irons since I've already watched the remake of it with him as Humbert Humbert. I can visualize everything. I'm not sure this will be a good thing once it gets to the pedophile bits.

Animal Farm -
Just picked this up today after GibsonGirl sent me a copy. I've read it before, but I was 14 and reading it on my own. Now I can appreciate it.

The Children of Men -
Picked it up at the school bookstore and started reading it to pass the time. It was really really good. Well written and a lot different from the film version.

I also have Red Dragon waiting for me, too.
AND! I want to re-read all the Harry Potter books before I watch the 5th movie and buy the 7th book.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #178
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Lolita (on tape) -
Picked this up from got_edge. Jeremy Irons narrates it in his voice. I'm on the 4th section of like...40. It's going to take me a while. I've never done a book on tape before. You really need a good reader though, one who puts emotion into it and such. It's easy for me with Jeremy Irons since I've already watched the remake of it with him as Humbert Humbert. I can visualize everything. I'm not sure this will be a good thing once it gets to the pedophile bits.
I'm not usually one to endorse movies based on books, but the version of Lolita starring Jeremy Irons was so good. He makes Humbert Humbert more sympathetic than I thought possible. I should reread it soon and rent the movie again.

Once for an extra credit assignment in college, I had to rewrite a fairy tale in the style of an author we'd studied that semester. I rewrote Little Red Riding Hood a la Lolita. I think the first line was something like "Little Red Riding Hood, light of my life, fire of my lunch. My sin, my soul, my supper." That assignment was so much fun.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #179
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
"Little Red Riding Hood, light of my life, fire of my lunch. My sin, my soul, my supper."
Awesome!

I'll second the Jeremy-Irons-version of the movie. And I looooved that book.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse

I'm not usually one to endorse movies based on books, but the version of Lolita starring Jeremy Irons was so good. He makes Humbert Humbert more sympathetic than I thought possible. I should reread it soon and rent the movie again.

I loved the Jeremy Irons version. I felt no connection to the Kubrick Humbert Humbert at all. With Irons it was this criminal compassion I had for him. They included nothing of his past in the old movie.
"Don't touch me! I'll die if you touch me!"
That really broke my heart, the old devil.
Quote:
Once for an extra credit assignment in college, I had to rewrite a fairy tale in the style of an author we'd studied that semester. I rewrote Little Red Riding Hood a la Lolita. I think the first line was something like "Little Red Riding Hood, light of my life, fire of my lunch. My sin, my soul, my supper." That assignment was so much fun.

That's awesome.

Tags
books, reading