books - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 PM
I picked up Mount Misery by Samuel Shem yesterday. It's the sequel to The House of God, which was excellent. They're both a lot like Catch-22, very sarcastic, but these two are about doctors instead of the military.

I finished The Kite Runner about a week ago as well. What a wonderfully written book. I nearly cried at a few parts, and I honestly don't cry often. It's set in Afghanistan before the Soviet invasion, then during the Taliban era. It's a touching book, I'd highly recommend it.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 PM
I re-read "Reading Lolita in Terhan" and a history book on Istanbul.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ylimeU2

Are you talking about the one by Geraldine Brooks? It is very good. But I think there are some better books on the topic. First, it was published in 1995, and I found it to be a little bit dated by the time I read it. She also covered a lot of different topics, so it left me wanting to know more, which can be a good or bad thing, but in her case, I wish she had gone more in depth with some of the stuff she wrote about. But overall, it is well worth reading.

yeah, that's the one I meant! It's about women and Islam right? Not just women in Islam but in the East generally.... I think I want to read it, being from the East myself.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife

I finished The Kite Runner about a week ago as well. What a wonderfully written book. I nearly cried at a few parts, and I honestly don't cry often. It's set in Afghanistan before the Soviet invasion, then during the Taliban era. It's a touching book, I'd highly recommend it.
My husband's reading A Thousand Splendid Suns now (I think it comes out near the end of next month). He didn't like The Kite Runner very much, though, so I'm not really sure why he's reading it!

I'm reading The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen in addition to far too many books on management. Now I'm kind of eager to finish The Corrections (even though I'm enjoying it) because I want to read Falling Man by Don Delillo before the end of the month.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #155
ONE
love, blood, life

started on the divine comedy a few days ago.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:01 PM
^Haven't read that since college. You're kind of reminding me I should read it again.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #157
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Last week I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which was only okay. It started out very promising, but I ended up skimming towards the end.

Too much focus on one half of the story/set of characters, and a lot of the dialogue was unbelievable - as in "Honestly, who talks like that in real life?"

Now I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (one of the TV critics at Entertainment Weekly. It's pretty good so far - a former cutter, working at a smaller newspaper in Chicago, goes to her tiny hometown to do a story about a possible serial killer.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Since we all know Paul Coello's The Alchemist was awesome, anyone read his other, 11 Minutes?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Alchemist sounds interesting I've never read his books before.

I might be going today to the gigantic, nice library right down the road to check out catcher in the rye and if I like it maybe buy a copy of it, no I didn't read it in high school

I used to read alot of fiction when I was younger but have been reading alot of non-fiction lately and stuff on the internet and would like to start reading more fiction books again.

The next books that I want to read after catcher in the rye are atlas shrugged by Ian Rand and then Hamlet.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll

yeah, that's the one I meant! It's about women and Islam right? Not just women in Islam but in the East generally.... I think I want to read it, being from the East myself.
Yup! It is still worth reading, really quite fasinating. Just a little dated is all.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Babydoll
Since we all know Paul Coello's The Alchemist was awesome, anyone read his other, 11 Minutes?
I have. I liked it even better then The Alchemist. All of his books are amazing. 11 Minutes is probably my favorite. Veronika Decides to Die is also incredible.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #162
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Last week I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, which was only okay. It started out very promising, but I ended up skimming towards the end.

Too much focus on one half of the story/set of characters, and a lot of the dialogue was unbelievable - as in "Honestly, who talks like that in real life?"

Thanks for the review, I've got The Memory Keepers Daughter on my list to read. Maybe I will re-consider as I get bored when stories are written as you describe.

I've got a ways to go anyway as I'm still reading the Outlander series of books by Diana Gabaldon and they are each volumes of over 800 pages. I just ordered the last one A Breath of Snow and Ashes. I figure I should be done with all of these by mid summer.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:37 AM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I meant to add Frankenstein by Mary Shelley to my going to read list
Old 04-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Bumped up book threads

I'm currently nearly done with Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub. I've got about 70 pages left, so I should have it done in no time. It's a good book, a classic sort of mystery-detective story, with a huge supernatural twist, which turns out to be a part of the much bigger Dark Tower arc. I had some trouble getting into it at first, despite having just finished (and enjoyed immensely) The Talisman, of which Black House is the sequel. What really threw me off about Black House at first is the writing style, it was a complete departure from King's usual style, and instead was a sort of almost-second person, screenplay type style, and quite overly descriptive at the beginning, but once I got past that, and got to some actual plot, it sucked me in.

No idea what I'll read next I think after reading two such thick novels back to back, I'd like to go for something short. The Picture of Dorian Gray is on my to-read list, so I think I'll go for that next. And then afterward, a reread of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, to go ahead and get that out of the way before Deathly Hallows comes out
Old 04-15-2007, 03:02 AM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I've seen all the Stephen King movies and but never read the books, I envy the readers.

Tags
books, reading