Book Club: for the first time???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which book to read first?

• Heart of Darkness

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • The Pearl

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Billy Budd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frankenstein

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • The Heart is A Lonely Hunter

• Turn of the Screw

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Dr Jeckyll

• Stranger in a Strange Land

• Of Mice and Men

• To Kill a Mocking Bird

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • The Once And Future King

• The Name Of The Rose

• Anna Karenina

Votes: 2 5.3%

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
I voted for the Pearl

I'd love to do The Name of The Rose sometime, though.

lots of great suggestions

If The Pearl wins, I can be lazy participate without reading, since I had to read it for school when I was 13.

My favorite one up there is Frankenstein, and my favorite classic not up there is The Great Gatsby.

love_u2_adam said:
my book never got on....:sad:

oh well 1984 sounds good:drool:

Sorry! I think that is my fault. I just looked back at the other thread and realized that I hadn't read your whole post before compiling the list that turned in to the poll. sorry if i missed any others also.

Okay so I'm gonna close this poll at 12am Saturday (friday night) EST. That gives those of us some time to buy the book....and hopefully someone can break the tie.

What are the guidlines for the reading pace? Perhaps we have weekly chats or something? That way things don't get spoiled for anyone?

I'd suggest just putting up a thread like, "Book of the Month: The Pearl (or whatever book and time frame we have)" and people can come in and post. If there's a spoiler coming, they should note it and put how far along they are, like, SPOILER CHAPTER 12. That way those of us that are still on page 7 know not to read it.

Since this was Tarvark doing, hopefully he will come back and chime in on how he hopes this works.
As of now it looks like either The Pearl or 1984, assuming one of those win, is there anyone who might like to step up and try and organize this party-o-fun? Do we even need a “leader”?

UberBeaver said:
I'd suggest just putting up a thread like, "Book of the Month: The Pearl (or whatever book and time frame we have)" and people can come in and post. If there's a spoiler coming, they should note it and put how far along they are, like, SPOILER CHAPTER 12. That way those of us that are still on page 7 know not to read it.

That's a good idea. Back in the day when I lived in the alt.fan.sailormoon newsgroups :reject: we had this courtesy ettiquette where we did something like
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E

before we posted any spoilers. That way there was no confusion nor heartache. Maybe we can do that? That would be kickin' it old school for real. :drool:

Did no one read my suggestions on how to organize the club in the original thread :sad: ??

snowbunny00774 said:

Do we meet on a set day, and only discuss up to a chosen point, and then people can add as they stop by the thread, and then next set day we can discuss further in the book to the next chosen point :scratch: That way people will know to avoid the thread if they are not up to the set points yet. Any other ideas anyone?

I don't really like the idea of posting and just labelling spoilers, as this can discourage discussion, and give people who are speed readers way more opportunity to post without actual dialogue from everyone. If you were in a real book club, would you call everyone up before the appointed meeting time to say "tell me if someone should hang up now, but what did you think of the scarlet guy battering the plum guy in the library with the candlestick? you did ?? great!! I know we only said to read to chapter 15, but I really wanted to share my thoughts now!!"

It's late and I'm very tired so hopefully someone made sense of that attempted scenario and can explain it better...

snowbunny00774 said:

With the format we are using there could quite possibly be two books being read at the same time - those with time constraints could read a lighter one, and those with time could do both if they liked, basically opting in to whatever suits you best. :shrug:

I've read both leading books before, and I'm fine with doing them again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom