BOO! The Oscars...so what's yer pick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessBadgirl

Acrobat
OK! So what's everyone's picks for this boring show??? I like A.I.- But its not even nominateed for anything *except best visual effects and best score* which is technically something... but the acting is brilliant, Jude Law was excellent and most of all Haley Joel Osment!
frown.gif
...at least Teddy should be nominateed then...
smile.gif

So I'm rooting for A beautiful mind, best actor is definitely Russell again... I haven't seen I am sam so I can't rule out Sean Penn. How about foreign films? I haven't seen any of those either but I heard Amelie is a great one.

------------------
When you stop taking chances
You'll stay where you sit
You won't live any longer
But it'll feel like it

Fengche@aol.com

I hope David Lynch or Robert Altman win the Best Director Oscar. Odds are Lynch won't have a chance, and Altman is just slightly more likely to win. (Danospano sheads a tear)

my bet is on mariah carey for glitter

------------------
Waves of regret and waves of joy..i reached out to the one i tried to destroy

Best Picture- A Beautiful Mind
Best Actor- Russell Crowe or Denzel Washington
Best Actress- Sissy Spacek
Best Supp. Actress- Jennifer Connelly
Best Supp. Actor- no clue
Best Director- Ron Howard

Best Actor: Russell Crowe

Go Rusty...knock 'em dead...well actually no, don't do that, just take the award and maybe rough 'em up a little. You can read your poetry all you like brother. Ship ahoy.

Slightly more seriously, slightly. I hope Peter Jackson wins best director, for his children and in honour of JRR Tolkien.

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 03-08-2002).]

ick, gotta be the only person/woman on the planet who doesn't like Russell Crowe...he gets on my nerves so much!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, Amelie is delightful, lovely and wonderful in a way that only a European film could be. A Must see in my books!

I HOPE...

Best Actor: Russell Crowe
Best Actress: Judi Dench
Best Screenplay: GOSFORD PARK
Best Director : Ridley Scott
Best supp. Actor: Jim Broadbent
Best supp. Actress: Helen Mirren

I REALISTICALL PREDICT though...

Best Actor: Russel Crowe
Best Actress: Nicole Kidman
Best screenplay: A Beautiful Mind
Best Director: Robert Altman/Ron Howard
Best supp. Actor: Ethan Hawke
Best supp. Actress:Jennifer Conolly

frown.gif

AI should have been nominated for Best Film. Damn.

Ant.

I WISH...

Best Picture: Moulin Rouge
Best Actor: Sean Penn
Best Actress: Nicole Kidman
Best Screenplay, Original: Memento
Best Screenplay, Adapted: A Beautiful Mind
Best Director : Ridley Scott
Best supp. Actress: Jennifer Connelly

WHO DESERVES IT:

Best Picture: A Beautiful Mind or Moulin Rouge
Best Actor: Tie - Russell Crowe & Sean Penn
Best Actress: Tie - Judi Dench & Halle Berry
Best Screenplay, Original: Memento
Best Screenplay, Adapted: A Beautiful Mind
Best Director : Ron Howard
Best supp. Actress: Jennifer Connelly

I REALISTICALL PREDICT though...

Best Picture: A Beautiful Mind
Best Actor: Denzel Washington
Best Actress: Sissy Spacek (this is sad!)
Best Screenplay, Original: Gosford Park
Best Screenplay, Adapted: In the Bedroon
Best Director: Robert Altman or Peter Jackson (close)
Best supp. Actor: Jon Voigt
Best supp. Actress:Jennifer Connelly

I have a newt named Oscar.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Originally posted by Bonochick:
I have a newt named Oscar.

And here he is!

Oscar.jpg

That's my boy!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Can someone explain to me why Denzel/Training Day is being given so much praise? It was 'ok' but I never thought it would be an Oscar film or he'd get an nomination for it.
Anyone who has seen both it and Beautiful Mind try and convince me Denzel Washington did a better acting job then Russell Crowe.

Originally posted by TylerDurden:
Can someone explain to me why Denzel/Training Day is being given so much praise? It was 'ok' but I never thought it would be an Oscar film or he'd get an nomination for it.
Anyone who has seen both it and Beautiful Mind try and convince me Denzel Washington did a better acting job then Russell Crowe.

Yo Tyler it isnt who did a Better job thing, its who do you think the Academy will vote for. It is called Oscar Wisdom, or OW for short. Julia Roberts recently said she can't imagine living in a world where she has a Best Acting Oscar and Denzel does not. Alot of other Academy members seem to feel the same way from the American talk shows I have witnessed. I wont see Training Day until its video release date of 3/19, but I am sure it was just a good Denzel performance. The thing is, he SHOULD have got it for The Hurricane. He really should have. The Academy kind of knows it too.

Another thing, Denzel is playing a role against his typical character. The Academy likes that.

The members of the Academy that will truly vote for the best performances will split their votes between Russel Crowe, Michael Wilkinson and Sean Penn. But the people who are voting for Denzel will supercede the votes of all those that voted for the others and he will win.

This is not an exact science, but from my years of reading the trades and watching the results, this is the way it looks.

A big sign as to how the Academy is going will be after March 10th, when the winners of the Screen Actors Guild Awards are announced. Most of those voters are Academy members and the SAGs are like an 80% accurate indicator for who will win the Oscar.

Originally posted by mad1:
MOULIN ROUGE!!!!

And IF they DONT win more than 3 oscars.......Im not coming back to this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for it would piss me off if it didnt win many that it deserves.........
mad.gif

I am with ya but I will be surprised if this film does as well as you and I want! There could be a surprise coup with Moulin Rouge, the more "serious" movies, LOTR, A Beautiful Mind, In the Bedroom may take a lot of votes away from each other giving neither a majority and there could be a surprise Moulin Rouge win. Here's one positive indicator:

It won the Producers Guild of America award last weekend and that has an 75-80% accuracy record for predicting the Best Movie. So a Moulin Rouge surprise is still possible...

awwww another fan!!!!
biggrin.gif

ok well I do hope so chum, cause if not I will be very disappointed..........
frown.gif
upset
frown.gif
Heartbroken
frown.gif

now my mate said with the British Acad Awards Judy Dench won cause it was all 'English' but we may be surprised and Nicole could win it cause its 'American'......hey it was him....
rolleyes.gif

anyway if they dont U2LA and I are gonna break in tru the entrance and storm down and DEMAND......FECKING DEMAND ALL awards go to MR and I will be very much feeling the power through anger to do that....if I have to knee the bodyguards in the balls and bite the winners hands off to get the awards back I will!!!!!!!!!...........
icon32.gif

also IF and I bloody bet too, LOTR sweep the fecking board, Im pretty sure it wont go to the directors head as it did to James Camerons......watching James win after loads and shout, 'Im the King of the World' made me want to throw that guy from here to the Moon with a rocket up his ass..........
mad.gif

On the subject of Training Day, why isn't Macy Gray nominateed for anything? lol.

But seriously Denzel always does these Oscar fitted movies so he's always nominateed. John Q will probably be next year's nomination for him.

I was upset when Leonardo Dicaprio was nominateed for nothing for his performance in Titanic, which seemed like a seriously sickening movie to star in- in the first place. He should have been the one to say "I'm king of the world!!!" *runs from maddie*
biggrin.gif

I hope Amelie wins anything and everything it is up for. That was probably THE best movie I've seen all year.

Every movie I saw this year sucked - except for 'The Royal Tenenbaums'. Russel Crowe should be locked up, I don't understand the fascination him. He's a lousy actor who stars in saccharine movies.

------------------
I miss the innocence I've known
Playin' KISS covers beautiful and stoned

Originally posted by candyfloss:
Russel Crowe should be locked up, I don't understand the fascination him. He's a lousy actor who stars in saccharine movies.

Never saw LA Confidential, did ya?

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Never saw LA Confidential, did ya?

That was a good movie, but that was five years ago. 'The Insider' was good too, but I didn't like Russell Crowe in it at all.

Originally posted by candyfloss:
That was a good movie, but that was five years ago. 'The Insider' was good too, but I didn't like Russell Crowe in it at all.

I am not a Crowe fan but I do try to be objective. How can two movies with Crowe in the main roles be good but his acting not be?

I'll go with most of this crowd and go for Russell. Sean Penn will give him a run for the award though but he probably wouldn't be there to pick it up anyway.

As for the the other awards, I hope that Gosford Park and A Beautiful Mind split the bulk of them. If Amelie is up for anything it should get something too.

Back
Top Bottom