bonosloveslave and other cat experts--Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~LadyLemon~

I Serve Larry's Stick
My cat was prescribed a liquid antibiotic to be given twice a day (2.5 cc's each time). Of course with the vet, he's an angel and they can do whatever with him. He showed us the proper way to give the medicine, but at home he does not cooperate.

He's a Maine Coon and he's very large and strong, plus he's not declawed. He either squirms out of my grip or or starts unleashing the claws on us. I also tried putting a dab on his paw, which he licked once and is still on there so it's not all off and it's not even close to his morning dosage anyway.

It's now day 3 and we have 11 more days to go. :| Mom was more successful at first, but last night more ended up on the carpet then in his mouth. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah it's always a challenge to get medicine in my cats, and with some of them it's worth your life to get it to them. I've had to have another person help sometimes. What we do is have one person scruff 'em with one hand and give the medicine with the other hand, while the other person holds both sets of legs.

Sometimes it even works! :wink:

I had to wrap Zoey up like a burrito in a towel to give her meds. So that only her head sticks out. Definately need 2 people.

For liquids its easiest to stick the syringe in the back side of the mouth rather than the front.

That's all I have to offer :(

http://kittyburrito.com/

kitty%20pill.jpg

Perhaps I'll try the towel, although that might freak him out even more. We finally got a bit more in him not too long ago; unfortunately more ended up on him than in his mouth.

As for Sicy's cartoon...that what he used to do with his pills! :lol: :banghead:

I hate that this is so dificult and I hate the fact that he's running away from us with the "why the hell are you torturing me?" look on his face. As for putting it in his food, I know he wouldn't touch it since he won't even lick it off his body, he hates it so much :|

The towel thing, just do it as fast as possible. Lay the towel flat on the floor, set him in the middle of it and wrap the back over his butt and the sides around him, hold it tight at his neck and have one person hold him and one do the meds. The faster you do it the less stressful. I know, easier said than done lol.

You can also ask your vet if the meds can be available in a flavored paste or pill, called compounded (I think) that you can give it as a treat flavored like beef, chicken or whatever.

I was gonna suggest the towel thing but Sicy already did.

One thing that worked with my cat is that after I gave her the medicine, I gave her some milk. It takes the bad taste out of her mouth and it puts the idea in her head that after the bad thing comes a treat.

Many years ago I owned a cat who had a form epilepsy that required meds everyday.

To make it easier I too would:
- wrap the cat tightly in a towel
- make sure everything is ready to go before you wrap the cat up
- medicate the cat in a small secure room (like a bathroom just in case she/he escapes)
- put an oven mitt on the hand that is holding the cat

Good luck :hug:

bonosgirl84 said:
what is "scruff them in the air"? :slant:

"scruffing" the cat is holding it by the folds of skin on their neck, like how the mom carries them. When they're young, they can be carried like that, but as they get older (and fatter), it's uncomfortable, so like she said, you have to do it fast or they will squirm and make it even worse.

I have to brush Beckham's teeth with two different tooth brushes every day. Given, he likes the toothpaste so he's not that bad about it, but in order to hold his head right and brush without anyone helping, I sit him down, curl his tail around, and basically sit on my knees on top of him so he can't get up, use his claws, or squirm backwards. I imagine if you did this with the can and pried it's mouth open, the other person could give the meds.

scruffing for the most part shouldnt be painful in anyway to the cat

for most cats it triggers them to stay still

so when you scruff them by the neck pick them up and with your free hand SQUIRT the damn medicine in

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS INMYPLACE13???

Sorry I'm late - the towel trick can help, but if you guys are still having a hard time I would call your vet and see if they have any other alternatives. They may be able to do a once-a-day antibiotic - they generally come as pills but usually can be formulated in flavored liquids that might taste batter then the current stuff. Is it Clavamox or Cefa-drops or Amoxi-drops? Most cats don't like their flavors.

A pill might be easier than the liquid if you coat it in something yummy like a meat flavored baby food and then use a pill popper (pill gun).

So I'm nearing the end of my rope--not much seems to be getting inside him. He's on amoxicillin for a kidney infection--but get this--it's the pink stuff, like bubble gum for people. No wonder he hates it! I'm sure they're closed by now...perhaps I'll give them a ring in the morning. I think they're only open every other Saturday and I have no idea if tomorrow will be the Saturday they're open or not.

:mad:

~LadyLemon~ said:
So I'm nearing the end of my rope--not much seems to be getting inside him. He's on amoxicillin for a kidney infection--but get this--it's the pink stuff, like bubble gum for people. No wonder he hates it! I'm sure they're closed by now...perhaps I'll give them a ring in the morning. I think they're only open every other Saturday and I have no idea if tomorrow will be the Saturday they're open or not.

:mad:

Sounds like what I took all the time when I was little (chronic ear infections).

Did you try sitting on him? If you sit on him, there's no way he can go anywhere, or be able to use his claws. It also frees up your hands to open his mouth and steady his head while someone else squeezes the medicine in.

Back
Top Bottom