Bono's "peculiar obsession" Ralph & Rolf & Peter AND the wolf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I have just started to read the transcript of the recent U2 web-chat.
I am reacting combust:
to something Bono said...he made me feel good. Thanks.

Firstly I am laughing at his use of the name Ralph. When I was about 10 my sister's new in-laws came to visit. I was a shy thing and I remember Marge being so friendly to me. She suggested we play cards and that I keep score. I wrote their names on the piece of paper...Marge and Rolf...I grew up watching and LOVING Rolf Harris. My sister's new dad-in-law, had a chuckle and told me , it's r.a.l.p.h.
So that started me smiling reading the web chat ( I know it was the person doing the typing who got it wrong , not Bono, nay never. But still , let me enjoy)

Then I read on and saw what Bono calls one of his "peculiar obsessions".
Start the story at the beginning. A woman migrated from Finland to Oz. She had a daughter on my birthday. We met because I had my first son on her birthday. (Sept 10, I have 3 important birthday's that day)
Anyway their dream was that the daughter grow up to play in a symphony orchestra. She started violin at an early age, but because she has the ability she switched to viola. She went to Brisbane and lived on her own so she could advance her career. She was selected for the Queensland Youth Symphony. I went along to her first performance. We went to the rehearsal hall the day before the concert..I didn't know what the program was, just that it was a fund -raiser for the Save The Children's Fund.

Rolf Harris was at the rehearsal!!! They were peforming Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf" and Rolf was the narrator. He was brilliant(plus he threw in a didgeridoo lesson and sang "Sunarise" with the orchestra.) I had never been to a symphony concert before, the performance was magic, unforgettable. The old man I was sitting next too was a bit "toffee-nosed" and made some comment about what was HE doing here? I could not have been happier, Rolf is a beautiful person, who has treid so hard to bring joy to the world. I have loved him for a long long time.
So for Bono to praise our Rolf and to say his daughters are painting illustrations for a book...THAT book.

I am amazed again..................and I'm only a 3rd of the way thru the transcript.
Props to Bono and his daughters.:yes: :wave:
just another little "u2ey go ahead make my day" thing brought to you by cass

PS: I found one of Rolf's old old illustrated outback books at a market the other day...50cents...my good score:)
Rolf and Eno should work together. Ambient sound....Rolf hears it too.
Basically I just wanted to say i love Rolf Harris and Tuuli
and

I'll shout it to the blue summer sky
I :heart: U2

back again...

oh musiclovers....there is was tying these fond memory threads together,Bono& Co, Rolf and Tuuli and Peter AND the wolf.

That trip to Brisbane was so memorable. i hadn't been to a city in years except for quick overnight to see U2. I really like Brisbane.
Anyway on the way home we stayed with friends near Byron. The woman with the buiggest laugh and her quiet Dutch husband Hans who was so kind to me.
I just had a phone call from my Finnish friend, the first time in ages. Hans died of a massive heart attack on Sunday night. Jingos we only just buried Craig, suppose I had better get used to it, but still...what a character was Hans. i asked if he happened to have any stamps from Holland:huh: and he turned th ehouse upside down to find one. he was an energetic and successful gardner

Gusee who is in my local newspaper? ROLF HARRIS!!! An incredible article. he is 72 not out, and just opening an exhibition of his work in the National Gallery in Britain. I once saw a chain that he had carved from wood...how did he do that? he is so prolific and generous. In the photo in the paper he is holding a didgeridoo.
Two bits of didge news from Oz. One of the Amercian space station astronauts bought a didge froma local maker so that he can play to his twin sons on earth durign hsi weekly family video/chat thingy( NASA material is I) And local boy has submitted a didge design fro his HSC. It is tuneable, something quite new.

AND.....six a side soccer starts tonight...tough comp.
AND...my dog isn't a purebred papillon ,I don't think. The phone still hasn't rung/
I wonder if any doglovers will read here and reply. he is very hard to photograph, he always drops his ears and tail ( he is a lot smarter than the big dog). I'll put his pic here and maybe someone will know. I think he may be chihuahua cross papillion or maybe just a real heinz variety..small fluffy dog.

Gone too soon...oh I can't go to his funeral( and it's open casket, i could not cope anyway...I'll write to his wife in a week or two.I think working hard in my garden is th ebest i can do.

My Finnish friend actaully rang to say an aquaintance is standing for the Green Party in the upcoming election., do I want to help?Of course, but I have an aquaintance up for pre-selection as the Labour Party candidate too. I am torn. Hans was Green. RIP mate...I'm striped, like a zebra.

i just can't find my dogs pic..hang on...in the mean time

An Aussie Christmas pic of my Finnish friend, her viola playing daughter and the sheep, Milo, Cocoa and Shadow and Molly. She spins, I knit. My young friend has just become a (what do they call it? reserve, understudy? sorry) for the Quensland Symphony Orchestra. What a lot of news in one phone call
**cass would faint and cry, but too much to do**

Attachments

• xmas sheep2001.jpg
    xmas sheep2001.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 17
here 'tis

THE GREATEST DOG IN THE WORLD

Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to the breed.?
Probably not...but he is so sweet.

Attachments

• chicasso.jpg
    chicasso.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
beyond a joke

I just got back from collecting my boys from th eschool bus. My Finnish friend lives just on th eedge of that little town. She has created a beautiful garden in what was a bare cow paddock. i just drove by and it has burned today. her house and the orchard nearby are OK, but she has lost quite a bit of garden. Today of all days. Her car was at the house, but I can't find her. I'm sure she is OK.
What a thing....Rolf Harris would vaguely remember she and her daughter. He commented on their unusual last name( it IS NOT unusual). mercy me...what a day.

I have a new sig too...it's not very good to look at , the arrangement, but he words are dear. I gave my mother the sheet music to Twio Little Boys a long long time ago. it's what she always asked for as a Christmas gift "oh just get me a piece of sheet music.." she still has it all , in perfect condition...like apearl, except she is a lily. And son #2 is just now driving off in my car, to play in the Harley Striker's, youths in a hard -fought mens' competition. And the Diploma students have their performance exam tonight too. That should be interesting.
Four seasons in one day sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom