Bono will have to quit smoking! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2004, 09:35 PM   #16
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Smoking should never be permitted where food is being served/eaten. That's just gross.
i know! when you're allergic to smoke, as i am, it makes it really hard. i don't mind people smoking in nightclubs or bars, as it's to be expected. however, i don't go to any of those places. when i'm in a restaurant, sitting down to eat, i don't want smoke to engulf my table too. my favourite restaurants don't even have a non-smoking section so you can smoke anywhere. i hate to say it but i keep my fingers crossed that something similar will be passed here.

Old 02-20-2004, 01:43 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Bono still smokes?? BAD BOY!

Old 02-20-2004, 02:23 AM   #18
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:32 PM
I love the law here that bans smoking in bars... I can go out for a nice night and not come home invariably smelling like ass; and if I smell like ass, it's my fault and my lungs aren't far worse off as a result.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:15 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:32 PM
he looks so sexy when he smokes though

Old 02-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Bono will have to quit smoking!

Quote:
Originally posted by fah
I am a non smoker.

When my mother was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer the Doctors told her she had 3 to 6 months to live - 53 days later she was dead. She started smoking when she was 18 and smoked for 40 years. She found the strength and courage to quit, it was difficult and she admitted missing have a smoke when having a scotch. If my mother hadn't quit smoking when she did she probably would have died sooner and missed things like meeting her grandchildren.

Everyone deserves more than 53 days.
I have a similar story, Fah.

My mother's Breast cancer crossed over to the lungs, helped on by heavy smoking. She lived until she was 43. This was 14 years ago this past Monday. She, unfortunately, did not live long enough to even see me (the oldest of two children) graduate high school, little alone grandchildren or other joys of late adulthood.

I am a nonsmoker.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:52 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 04:32 AM
A few months ago, I was against these new laws (they're trying to bring them in in the UK as well) - I believed that it was up to individual pub owners.

However, I gave up smoking in the new year, and for once have actually managed to stay stopped for more than a fortnight. Now, I can finally understand why people agree with banning smoking in public places. Absolutely everywhere I go seems to stink of cigarettes. Plus it makes the temptation a hell of a lot less for me to smoke when I'm having a drink and smoking is not allowed. And I need as much help as possible to stay away from temptation - I smoked for nearly thirteen years - from the age of 14

Fingers crossed I'll be able to stay quit - I'm a chronic asthmatic so I really don't know why I started smoking in the first place, never mind turn it into a 13 year habit
Old 02-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #22
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 PM
Re: Re: Re: Bono will have to quit smoking!

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

My mother's Breast cancer crossed over to the lungs, helped on by heavy smoking. She lived until she was 43. This was 14 years ago this past Monday. She, unfortunately, did not live long enough to even see me (the oldest of two children) graduate high school, little alone grandchildren or other joys of late adulthood.

I am a nonsmoker.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Don't need it, don't want it, love the Ontario law here. You wanna smoke? Go outside in -45 degree weather and do it. No skin off my back.
What the heck are you talking about? Smoking is still allowed in bars/pubs/clubs in Toronto. I know that a few other places (Barrie, Orangeville, etc) have banned smoking, but it is still allowed here.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:32 PM
Re: Re: Bono will have to quit smoking!

Quote:
Originally posted by fah

I am a non smoker.

When my mother was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer the Doctors told her she had 3 to 6 months to live - 53 days later she was dead. .
Ditto here. My best friend was given 6 months to a year when diagnosed with lung cancer two years ago. Thirty days later, he left us. He was 42. They said it was a rare kind of lung cancer that wasn't smoking related, but the fact that he did smoke (for about 10 years) probably triggered it and sped it up.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:41 AM   #25
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Ditto here. My best friend was given 6 months to a year when diagnosed with lung cancer two years ago. Thirty days later, he left us. He was 42. They said it was a rare kind of lung cancer that wasn't smoking related, but the fact that he did smoke (for about 10 years) probably triggered it and sped it up.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:29 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I am surpised a place like Ireland would do this, smoking is pretty prevalent there.

I think the establishment owners should be able to decide rather than the government mandating it. If the owner felt it was to his advantage to prohibit smoking or he dislikes it, he could do so. Just my opinion. I am a non-smoker, by the way.

I think stinky people should be banned from public places, too.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 11:32 PM
My heart goes out to all who have lost friends and family

My mother is a smoker. She managed to quit once with the nicotine patch and stopped smoking for almost 2 years. Unfortunately, that was several years ago and didn't last
I know from watching her how difficult it is to quit - which is one of the reasons why I never started.

to bammo2 for your decision to stop, I'm sure your famliy is very thankful that you did
Old 02-21-2004, 11:59 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

I am a nonsmoker.

We've shared mutual losses in this regard; cancer is the Devil.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:36 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
I think the establishment owners should be able to decide rather than the government mandating it. If the owner felt it was to his advantage to prohibit smoking or he dislikes it, he could do so. Just my opinion. I am a non-smoker, by the way.
Another non-smoker who agrees. I think smoking is absolutely disgusting, therefore, I merely try and avoid any places in which people are allowed to smoke. Restaurant owners have every right to decide whether or not they want to allow smoking.

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I really think alcohol should also be banned in pubs and clubs too. Beer causes horrendous problems for people's livers. Plus it kills people on the roads and breaks up families.
Disagree here as well. For one thing, that's the whole point of the designated drivers-anytime somebody gets too drunk to drive, they have the cab service take the people home, or friends or family who weren't drinking drive.

For another, anything can endanger people's lives. People can die in car accidents where alcohol wasn't a factor, too-the sun can blind them, or they can be driving while tired, or whatever. To try and get rid of alcohol in pubs and clubs because a few people abuse it and are stupid enough to drink and drive is rather unfair, I think.

Angela
Old 02-22-2004, 05:41 AM   #30
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Sorry Angela, I was being a smartarse. Pubs and clubs are the one place I dont agree with it's banning. It goes hand in hand with alcohol for a lot of people, and to use health risks is an oxymoron in my view....Considering many people are plying themselves up in pubs anyway.