Bono Or Morrissey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pgv

ONE love, blood, life
Which one would you say writes the better lyrics? I can't decide and want to know what everyone else thinks.

They are two entirely different writers. Both have some amazing moments, and both have some really bad akward lines as well.

Final Straw said:
is this a joke?am i the only one who thinks morrisey is way over rated,he's just depressing

No, I think some of his stuff (especially when he was in The Smiths) is brilliant. But I don't know if its on a par with Bono or not.

partygirlvox said:

No, I think some of his stuff (especially when he was in The Smiths) is brilliant. But I don't know if its on a par with Bono or not.

its not

Last edited:
TheQuiet1 said:
If we're comparing them purely on lyrics then Morrissey by light years.

Yes, purely on lyrics.

If it was based on everything then it would be u2 definately, because I prefer their music.

In terms of lyrics Morrissey is leagues ahead of Bono, and Morrissey is also a much funny person live in concert :wink:

Nice to see some more Moz/Smiths fans here

I love Morrissey's lyrics. He's freaking hilariously depressing :drool:

I dont think you can compare with Bono's though, as others have said, they are way different.

canedge said:
Morrissey is a far superior word smith....

Absolutely. In fact, I think Bono's lyrics are well, elementary. Yes I realise, we're on a U2 board, but that's no reason to worship them. Let's face it there are much better lyricists out there. Well, IMHO, anyway.

I think Morrissey is wittier, but I'm not sure he's necessarily better. (Unless we are comparing Bono's lyrics from the past six years only to anything Morrissey has ever written, and then it's a total cakewalk in favor of Morrissey.)

IMO I listened to a LOT of Morrissey in the 80's 90's It was comforting to have such deprssing lyrics accompany my depressing period:(

On the other hand I have found Bono's lyrics full of hope, joy and anger.....

like it was mentioned ::: they are 2 very different artists;)

bayernfc said:

Absolutely. In fact, I think Bono's lyrics are well, elementary. Yes I realise, we're on a U2 board, but that's no reason to worship them. Let's face it there are much better lyricists out there. Well, IMHO, anyway.

I wouldn't call Bono's lyrics elementary, he has had some rather good ones, but I feel Bono does rely a lot on emotion to get his points accross

I love the lyrics to the smiths song 'Panic' -
"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
It says nothing to me about my life"

Now thats relevant even now, and clever.

I can't think anything by u2 that compares ... :hmm:

In my opinion, Morrissey is Oscar Wilde of our time. Enough said. Bono is just boring now. There is no way he could be compared with Moz now. I am not talking about early U2 stuff, naturally. They are about the same age, and Moz is more and more witty, and as for Bono....happiness seems to be sad song.I know i might be banned. Just my opinion.

I know I need hardly say
How much I love your casual way
Oh, but please put your tongue away
A little higher and we're well away
The dark nights are drawing in
And your humour is as black as them

REJECTION IS ONE THING
BUT REJECTION FROM A FOOL
IS CRUEL

Found found found
Someone who's worth it
In this murkiness
Someone who's never
Seeming to be scheming

The passing of time
And all of its sickening crimes
Is making me sad again

There's too much caffeine
In your bloodstream
And a lack of real spice
In your life"

Just a few examples of his brilliance. And as for anyone who only can see depression...if you dont find humour, wit, warmth and intellegence behind the depression...I hate when people put the mark "depressed" so easily. (especially on Morrissey"s face) I believe there is a light behind this depression. In importance of being Morrissey, Bono says: I cant get the misery thing (about Moz) because of his brilliant sense of humour and as far as i know, humour means a great deal to Bono. (freedom)
And finally someone who is pure and honest, just like Bono when he was young Someone who is strong enough to be outsider, as Moz certainly is.

:wink:

Two of my favorite lyricists:ohmy:

Morrissey is far more articulate & clever, he can make a somber & depressing song have a sense of humor. And boy can he can write tragedy in such a beautiful & classic way!

Bono's writing is on a different level, not saying he's better or worse just different. To me his lyrics are not tangible, they don't create images , they create feelings.

They both have great singing voices and they both are relevant, and continue to have something to say..which most 'new' bands nowadays write and write but never say anything at all. Both have written lyrics which have altered the universe in my room. Which one is better? It depends on my mood I suppose.

partygirlvox said:
I love the lyrics to the smiths song 'Panic' -
"Burn down the disco
Hang the blessed DJ
Because the music that they constantly play
It says nothing to me about my life"

Now thats relevant even now, and clever.

I can't think anything by u2 that compares ... :hmm:

I agree, I love the lyrics to that song, especially since the lyrics seem to connect with me, and no I don't wish to burn down discos and hang DJs yet :wink:

Another example of Moz's great lyrical ability

"Close your eyes
And think of someone
You physically admire
And let me kiss you
Let me kiss you

But then you open your eyes
And you see someone
That you physically despise
But my heart is open
My heart is open to you."

Irishteen said:

"Close your eyes
And think of someone
You physically admire
And let me kiss you
Let me kiss you

But then you open your eyes
And you see someone
That you physically despise
But my heart is open
My heart is open to you."

This is an example of a bad Moz lyric for me, because it just screams whiny depressed teen. It reminds me of something I wrote in high school.

For the most part I'm not bothered my Moz's depressing lyrics, what bugs me is he can often be wordy and have some akward melodies.

elevation2u said:

Both have written lyrics which have altered the universe in my room. Which one is better? It depends on my mood I suppose.

Okay, that answers my question :up:
You are right - at times I think morrissey is better, and at others Bono is!

Back
Top Bottom