Bono Or Morrissey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah Morrissey wins this one.

Quite simply, the Moz puts all other word"smiths" to shame. Not only does he make Bono (the genius of a lyricist that he is) seem mediocre, but he should also be held in a greater literary regard as Shakespeare.

The Queen Is Dead album. Nothing will surpass the lyrical brilliance of that. I Know It's Over, The Queen Is Dead, There Is A Light, The Boy With A Thron, Cemetry Gates.... crikey, they are sheer brilliance.

Mind you the mind of Morrissey, I feel anyway, is one that has presented more insightful and intriguing ideas than Bono's mind.

Bono also seems a little shallow on subject matter and overly spiritual. Morrissey tells things as it is, despite how preposterously silly his words might often sound.

The Moz is the king of lyrical articulation...

Even so it's all a matter of opinion, and I might be biased, as I feel I can identify more with the Morrissey's lyrics than with Bono's.

Mind you Bono has some real highlights: Please, A Day Without Me, Sruck In Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Zooropa, Angel Of Harlem

Irishteen said:

I agree, I love the lyrics to that song, especially since the lyrics seem to connect with me, and no I don't wish to burn down discos and hang DJs yet :wink:

Another example of Moz's great lyrical ability

"Close your eyes
And think of someone
You physically admire
And let me kiss you
Let me kiss you

But then you open your eyes
And you see someone
That you physically despise
But my heart is open
My heart is open to you."

For me, the funniest part of this song is: "Would you let me cry on your shoulder, I have heard you"ll try aything twice." It really makes me :giggle:
As for Bono-Moz competition...i dont know what happened to Bono. When i think of ZOo-Tv idea...how genious.is that? Not to mention musical and lyrical brilliance of An cat dubh, 11"o clock....or the whole UF. Where did all go wrong?:(

girlhappy said:

As for Bono-Moz competition...i dont know what happened to Bono. When i think of ZOo-Tv idea...how genious.is that? Not to mention musical and lyrical brilliance of An cat dubh, 11"o clock....or the whole UF. Where did all go wrong?:(

Maybe Bono just hasn't got as much interesting stuff going on in his head as he used to. Maybe he's too content with life at the moment, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I know that when I try and write lyrics, I'm sometimes in a mindset in which I can't write anything that is even vaguely interesting or unique, though at other times I can.

Maybe Bono will find some new lyrical inspiration that might reinvigorate our interest...

The whole thing actually reminds me of Ed Kowalczyk from Live. He exhibted his lyrical prowess on Live's earlier albums (up to V), but ever since, it seems as if the bloke is so content and overjoyed with his life at the moment that he can not possibly write any truly inspiring and uniquely emotive or persuasive lyrics. All of his lyrics now seem like weaker rehashes of lyrics from older songs.

I love Moz and I would say that he's a better lyricist, but am I really the only one who is still digging Bono's lyrics?

Sure, I think lyrics to Peace on Earth and Love and Peace or Else are beyond bad, but some are still great.

I still find myself very moved by the humanity behind songs like Kite, Walk On, Wild Honey (really!), When I Look at the World, New York, COBL, A Man and a Woman, and One Step Closer.

Just because he isn't trying to be as poetic/artful with his lyrics doesn't mean that they aren't good. I appreciate the autobiographical undertone at this stage of the game. Not the best ever, but certainly enough for me to be impressed...

intedomine said:

Quite simply, the Moz puts all other word"smiths" to shame. Not only does he make Bono (the genius of a lyricist that he is) seem mediocre, but he should also be held in a greater literary regard as Shakespeare.

I just gave myself a vasectomy. Seriously. Because if one of my children ever wrote something like this the shame would torment my soul for the rest of eternity.

Bono, morrisey is a Banker with a W.

Morrisey was born locally to me , just streets away.

vaz02 said:
Bono, morrisey is a Banker with a W.

Morrisey was born locally to me , just streets away.

Now thats pretty cool man, have you ever met him?!

and i agree, i like his music but think he comes across as a bit of an idiot.

partygirlvox said:

Now thats pretty cool man, have you ever met him?!

and i agree, i like his music but think he comes across as a bit of an idiot.

No need to be rude. I am not offended, although i love Moz more than myself. I would just like to hear an explanation. CALL HIM WHAT YOU WANT, but he is as far as possible of being idiot.
Would you kindly explain?

girlhappy said:

No need to be rude. I am not offended, although i love Moz more than myself. I would just like to hear an explanation. CALL HIM WHAT YOU WANT, but he is as far as possible of being idiot.
Would you kindly explain?

I didn't call him an idiot, i said he comes across as one. In interviews and such he across as pompous and quite full of himself. I don't like his persona, even if I do love his music.

And anyway, I can't quote exactly, but I remember a while ago there being alot of fuss over him critizing Bono's humanitarian efforts in quite a mean way. I personally find this rather idiotic!

Saracene said:
But I simply adore Morrissey's gift with words, :drool:

Yes, but then he spoils the whole thing by opening his mouth.

Morrissey is possibly the worst singer in rock.

And he whines. ALOT.

partygirlvox said:

I didn't call him an idiot, i said he comes across as one. In interviews and such he across as pompous and quite full of himself. I don't like his persona, even if I do love his music.

And anyway, I can't quote exactly, but I remember a while ago there being alot of fuss over him critizing Bono's humanitarian efforts in quite a mean way. I personally find this rather idiotic!

I would be very interesting to read that quote. Or could you repeat what he said, at least the essence of it?

girlhappy said:

I would be very interesting to read that quote. Or could you repeat what he said, at least the essence of it?

I can't, but I do remember their being a thread on here about it. If any premium members would like to do a search ... :D

Back
Top Bottom