Bono Jagger? is that a tongue or is it a heart or an ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
Is that tongue stage we saw at the Super Bowl yesterday super derivative of our heart-ellipse or what? Will the Stones use if for their whole tour?

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

But I must confess Mick and Keith and Charile and Ron looked and rocked like teenagers trapped in geriatric bodies.

Too bad Mick deleted his own best line at the end of "Start Me Up." I'm sure the Federal Censorship Crew cannot fathom dead-men-coming in a post-Janet's-tit era.

I'm almost embarrassed to be wishing for such blessings from an elderly Bono keeping the boys together for their 40th anniversary.

Weird and and wild and fun and spectacular as in high Spectacle.

Anu

Anu said:
Is that tongue stage we saw at the Super Bowl yesterday super derivative of our heart-ellipse or what? Will the Stones use if for their whole tour?

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

But I must confess Mick and Keith and Charile and Ron looked and rocked like teenagers trapped in geriatric bodies.

Anu

I could not believe how they rocked at 58-62?
How amazing.
My first thought was.....oHHHH copycats. But Imitation is the hightest form of flattery.
It was pretty cool :rockon:

Definitely one of the funniest moments in Superbowl history. I haven't laughed that hard in fuckin' ages. Who needs dignity? Not the Stones. That's for damn sure.

Steel Wheelchairs for all.

I also noticed the eerily similar stage design. :hmm: Mick even did the jog around the ellipse (or is that just 'lips'? :giggle: ). It could have been worse though - they could have tried the whole 'boy band/no shirts" thing. :silent: :no: :no: :no:

:wink:

you people are so SO sad.

every little thing anyone does automatically is copying u2.

noone other than u2 is capable of carrying through on an original idea.

the very fact they played on a stage proves they're copying u2. remember in 2001? u2 had a HUGE stage!!!

i could vomit blood reading some of your posts.

*high five

i'm actually gonna lobby that this thread be closed due to unbearable levels of obscenity.

i know there's been a lot of pathetic threads at interference (i'm guilty of a few of them), but in bang and clatter, we don't have room for this garbage.

Zoomerang96 said:

Can we have pictures? :happy:

I find there really are very few, if any, truly original ideas. I guarantee you someone somewhere will be reminded of something else for virtually everything. So I don't think it should be so much a case of having to be completely original (not gonna happen anyway), as having to be good. The better you are, the less original you need to be. :)

Zoomerang96 said:

the very fact they played on a stage proves they're copying u2. remember in 2001? u2 had a HUGE stage!!!

Forgive me, but if U2 weren't the first band to think of/use the ellipse thing in a stage design, who was? Normally I would agree with you that people whine about band x 'copying' U2 way too much, but this is one of the few cases where I think it's warranted.

capt.sb29502060115.super_bowl_football_sb295.jpg

r131217679.jpg

r2367272377.jpg

r1759234979.jpg

h6-superblow-12.jpg

I thought it was an awesome performance...and if the stage idea did come from U2...so what? It was still cool.

thought the stage was awesome, the performance subpar.

Jagger seemed out of breath half way through the first song. Their usually better.

i don't really wanna weigh in on the ellipse thing, since I know crap about the history and variety of stage design...
but man didn't Mick (and Keith too, but especially Mick) look fucking fantastic?!
His dancing/strutting thing, as old as it is, was just amazing for a guy his age and he looked great in his gear (til he stripped to his undershirt anyway, I thought...). He and Keith just have that wraith deal going whereby they become more themselves in a way as they age.
But somehow, with their muffled sound, the inherent silliness of a huge rockband coming in for a sports half-time show, and their albeit understandably predictable song selection, I was truly underwhelmed. It left me feeling like the Stones aren't really that great a band, their songs are just sort of middling riffs and a lot of strut. I never expected to feel that I'd actually rather have an act like Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson come on between halfs, but I think I would. The Stones just felt like Mick trying to actually be Janet Jackson or Madonna or something and as impressive as he looked and rocked it was just so blah and souless in a weird way. It didn't even matter that they bleeped out 'come' and 'cock'; the real effect of these words were already deleted from the experience anyhow... Gwen Stefani or somesuch would have been a better choice...
cheers all!

Zoomerang96 said:

:hug::heart::love:

ironicly enough, u2 and the rolling stones use the same guy to design their stages, mark fisher, so if you want to be techncial, mark fisher is copying himself.

where was the outrage when u2 ripped off the stones' flatbed through manhattan idea?

there wasn't any... why? 'cause it was a great idea and no one gave a crap.

I thought it was so blatantly similar to U2's ellipse that it must be homage to U2, or that now that that kind of stage design is out there more and more artists will be using it because it's so amazing for fans. I didn't think it was weird at all. In fact, before the crowd inside the tongue was revealed I said to my friends that if the Stones were really smart they'd have people inside the tongue so Mick could be closer to the crowd and then, voila, there they were. I can't believe people are actually upset about this.

Mick, however, has become a caricature of himself. He still has a lot of energy and did his best to work the crowd but the band seemed dead.

Back
Top Bottom