Bollard, Simmerath, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though, as you can see in the early years of independence (early - mid 90's) in most ex - USSR countries, political unrest wouldn't have been uncommon.

And still isn't depending on where you go! The Caucasus still looks like it could go sour at any moment.

But now the country is starting to take shape, growing economy, great pieces of architecture (like the new national library, which lights up at night).

Now that's a sweet library.

Hey John! :wave:

Referencing an earlier discussion re: music downloading, I just stumbled past this in my Photobucket ...

Pirate.jpg

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Even better than Bono's 80's mullet!

Fine is such a fine word isn't it? in fact I'd think I'd die if I didn't hear fine every day of my life. Except you know what's a better word? Grand, Grand is awesome

In case you can't tell I did not sleep much last night + tax is boring, I think every business class is required to insult U2 once per lecture or the class is dropped

You know what's a spiffing word? Spiffing. More people need to say 'spiffing'.

See, unlike you, I'm just mental even when I'm well-rested and safe from taxes. :wink:

You know what's a spiffing word? Spiffing. More people need to say 'spiffing'.

See, unlike you, I'm just mental even when I'm well-rested and safe from taxes. :wink:

Spiffing is too good a word to be used too often

"You know who cheat taxes? U2" "See this tax? You know who doesn't pay it? U2!" etc. that's my tax class :lol:

Did you ever get around to listening to that song I sent ya Ax before the gig the other night?

And still isn't depending on where you go! The Caucasus still looks like it could go sour at any moment.

Now that's a sweet library.

Yes, indeed. You've still got newly born mini-countries now, South Ossetia and Abkhazia, not to mention Chechnya, who could do anything to be honest. The Eastern European contingent of ex - USSR states seems to be doing fine, just the ones down the Caucasus seem to be never ending fires, being much poorer nations and all.

As for that sweet library, I think it is a great piece of architecture, and sure looks fancy at night. :up:

Spiffing is too good a word to be used too often

"You know who cheat taxes? U2" "See this tax? You know who doesn't pay it? U2!" etc. that's my tax class :lol:

Did you ever get around to listening to that song I sent ya Ax before the gig the other night?

Haha. You know who gets a flogging in PolSci and is related to U2? Jeffrey Sachs. And I can see why. His ideas are just pop junk. No theorist worth their salt takes him seriously, and for bloody good reason. Bono could do so much better than listen to Sachs.

Shit, no, sorry! Did download though!

WWII was a bitch.

Well, that's a good way of putting it.

I was just talking to my dad about it, actually. We found some old journal entries from my Grandpa back when he was peacekeeping around Hiroshima after the nuclear bombing. I've had a look at some of it when I was younger (enclosed are dollar notes that the Japanese were going to use in Australia had they taken over it). Anyway, this seriousness wasn't enough to stop Dad and I saying "World Whore II" for absolutely no reason and laughing about it.

Also, that library is definitely the best in the world, not like it has much competition though.

Yes, indeed. You've still got newly born mini-countries now, South Ossetia and Abkhazia, not to mention Chechnya, who could do anything to be honest. The Eastern European contingent of ex - USSR states seems to be doing fine, just the ones down the Caucasus seem to be never ending fires, being much poorer nations and all.

As for that sweet library, I think it is a great piece of architecture, and sure looks fancy at night. :up:

Don't overlook Moldova's internal fracturing with Transnistria! But yes, in general, the eastern European ex-Soviet states aren't doing so badly, and the Baltic states (unsurprisingly) stand out in particular. Given their longer legacy of pre-Soviet independence, it's little wonder they led the independence movement in the 1980s.

Besides the breakaway states in Georgia, you have to wonder just how Armenia and Azerbaijan are going to finally resolve the whole Nagorno-Karabakh issue ...

Haha. You know who gets a flogging in PolSci and is related to U2? Jeffrey Sachs. And I can see why. His ideas are just pop junk. No theorist worth their salt takes him seriously, and for bloody good reason. Bono could do so much better than listen to Sachs.

Shit, no, sorry! Did download though!

Bono could do so much better to stay away from anything remotely relating to "politics" at all

No worries, listen whenever you get a chance

What did you say? :wink:

I pretend to hate U2 so I can fit in in Ireland, seriously if people stopped travelling to ireland to see the band they'd be playing clubs here :madwife:

(enclosed are dollar notes that the Japanese were going to use in Australia had they taken over it).

Aha!!

My dad said one of his brothers had some of those, but no one knows where they are now, and a lot of people hotly deny their existence.

Yes, I know, thread is on its way...

I pretend to hate U2 so I can fit in in Ireland, seriously if people stopped travelling to ireland to see the band they'd be playing clubs here :madwife:

Dublin's population when U2 are in town:

75% Irish-born citizens that hate U2.
10% Overseas-born citizens.
14% potatoes.
1% International U2 fans with 1/64th Irish heritage pretending that they're Irish.

Don't overlook Moldova's internal fracturing with Transnistria! But yes, in general, the eastern European ex-Soviet states aren't doing so badly, and the Baltic states (unsurprisingly) stand out in particular. Given their longer legacy of pre-Soviet independence, it's little wonder they led the independence movement in the 1980s.

Besides the breakaway states in Georgia, you have to wonder just how Armenia and Azerbaijan are going to finally resolve the whole Nagorno-Karabakh issue ...

I heard a little bit of these Moldova issues, but they're half - Romania's problem anyway. I think Russia is too far away to make much impact on them, especially when they're busy keeping "America's new best friend" Georgia at bay. Lithaunia, Latvia and to a lesser extent, Estonia seem to be doing fine, although in recent years i've heard events of riots on the streets of Tallinn.

I would be more concerned about Chechnya than the ongoing disputes of Armenia and Azerbaijan.

14% potatoes.
1% International U2 fans with 1/64th Irish heritage pretending that they're Irish.

More like

1 million Irish
150,000 foreign
80000 Foreign U2 fans going to all three concerts
1 billion Guinness
500000 potatoes
1 Axver

14% potatoes.

Why the hell didn't you mention leprechauns?

:angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom