Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #121
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:19 PM
I just put on Come Home by The Chills. I haven't listened to it in a while. But this is exactly why I fell in love with the Dunedin Sound. It was the first Dunedin Sound song I heard, in fact. It's a lament by Martin Phillipps about the "brain drain" of educated New Zealanders to foreign countries. That obviously resonates extremely strongly with me. It's enough to make me want to pack my bags and go home.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #122
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_Roses

scroll down for lyrics to another of my favorite folk songs, which is absolutely gorgeous, i'll be sure to include it. also you could read it for some US labor history.
That's really good too.

Quote:
my one problem is that a lot of the artists i know well my family only has on cassette!
Hopefully at least some of it's on Sordo/torrents ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 AM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

That's really good too.
it's been performed by john denver and by ani difranco with utah phillips. i've got copies of both, but they're both male singers, and IMO it's best with a gorgeous female voice on the melody. i'm sure my family has one somewhere.

Quote:
Hopefully at least some of it's on Sordo/torrents ...
i've found some seeger and guthrie on piratebay (yes tourist, my family owns pretty much all of the cassettes) and some like the weavers i haven't found...not time now to do an exhaustive search. i dunno if i'll have time while i'm home to dig through the family cds and cassettes either.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

Also, I think my strategy in the article will be first to connect the protest singers to well known artists - Bruce Springsteen took a lot of inspiration, I can make an argument for U2 - and to name the most well known - Jeff Buckley, Dylan, Nick Drake - so maybe people will be interested in hearing some of the more foundational artists.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #125
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Also, I think my strategy in the article will be first to connect the protest singers to well known artists - Bruce Springsteen took a lot of inspiration, I can make an argument for U2 - and to name the most well known - Jeff Buckley, Dylan, Nick Drake - so maybe people will be interested in hearing some of the more foundational artists.
You're lucky you have that. The best I can do is try to appeal to a few indie wankers by pointing out Stephen Malkmus or whatever his name is from Pavement worships The Clean.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

I have no idea who any of those people/artists are, ax.

but i'll give it a listen some time when i have spare time.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

aw, i don't hate america as much when i listen to pete seeger!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

WOAH ax! i was searching for Pete Seeger's Power and Glory lyrics, but look at the prices of these mp3s!
http://www.legalsounds.com/download-...ry/song_122112

http://music.yahoo.com/Pete-Seeger/T...lyrics/1399475
for the lyrics. i also recommend checking out Where Have All The Flowers Gone (vietnam)
Old 05-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Springsteen' Seeger Sessions album is fantastic.

Tracy Chapman's first album is a five star classic. One of the best albums of the 80's. Unfortunately, her work got a bit erratic after that, with some good stuff mixed in with less inspired moments. Still a decent career.

I have the Indigo Girls Greatest Hits - that's my extent of their music. I only like the well-known songs from them. After a while, they can get a bit boring. The song with Michael Stipe, Kid Fears, is beautiful, though.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 AM   #130
Vocal parasite

The Clean were one of the seminal Dunedin Sound bands. Their single Tally Ho basically gave birth to the entire scene.

Stephen Malkmus was guitarist/vocalist for one of the more prominent indie rock bands, Pavement, and is probably the most famous Dunedin Sound band. He's covered songs by The Clean before. I never really thought too highly of Pavement, though. As for The Clean, I like some of their songs and their position in Dunedin Sound history can't be overstated, but I think the scene has plenty of better bands.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #131
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
add simon and garfunkel to the better known on the list.
I haven't listened to Simon & Garfunkel in quite a while.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:12 AM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.legalsounds.com/InspectHelpRubric?__key=24

russian...hmmm...i wonder if the artists get money or if it's just making some russian dude rich...
Old 05-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
Springsteen' Seeger Sessions album is fantastic.

Tracy Chapman's first album is a five star classic. One of the best albums of the 80's. Unfortunately, her work got a bit erratic after that, with some good stuff mixed in with less inspired moments. Still a decent career.

I have the Indigo Girls Greatest Hits - that's my extent of their music. I only like the well-known songs from them. After a while, they can get a bit boring. The song with Michael Stipe, Kid Fears, is beautiful, though.
Pete Seeger is awesome - I just posted a link where you can buy him cheaply, though I'm dubious about who is getting the money. thepiratebay has some of his stuff. Springsteen didn't cover my favorites, but it's good work. Sadly I don't think it's gotten Seeger any more mainstream attention. And a lot of the Springsteen-loving hicks would probably be appalled at the messages in Seeger's songs - but then, they think Born in the USA is a straight forward patriotic pro-america song.

I love Tracy's self-titled is definitely her best work, but I like 3 the subsequent albums as well. I'm right now listening to her 2005 release for the first time.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

2005...let's see, is that the one with Telling Stories on it or something like that? That's a good tune.

Some of the older Springsteen fans who are stuck in the 70's didn't like the Seeger album. They are a bunch of idiots who can't accept him expanding his music, although they understand the the lyrics do fit him like a glove.

It's too bad it didn't give Seeger more exposure, as he's had just as important a career as someone like Woody Guthrie, but of course Guthrie is forever linked to Americana because of This Land Is Your Land (btw, Springsteen's live version of that is awesome).
Old 05-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

If you've never heard it, check out the Folkways compilation. Good covers on there. Obviously, U2's Jesus Christ is one of the more well-known songs on it, but Springsteen has two songs, Dylan's on there, Mellencamp, Seeger, etc. Great album.

Tags
superthread