Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm glad you approve. :up:

We can have a nightly listening party of a list or something. Kind of like what Axver did to my list, but... different. Hopefully. :wink:

:lol: Don't get your hopes up unless you suddenly turn your playlist into a prog/post-rock/death metal haven.

I'm kind of frustrated that I can't include A Day in the Life because the crowd noise at the beginning would disrupt the flow.

phanan said:

:lol: Don't get your hopes up unless you suddenly turn your playlist into a prog/post-rock/death metal haven.

I was hoping if more than one person listens in, then he'd be outnumbered and forced to pretend to like it. :wink:

I've got a This Will Destroy You track on there and Summer '68, maybe he'll like those?

About crowd noise, I've got a track on mine with that, too. Fuck it, it's a good enough track as it is.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I was hoping if more than one person listens in, then he'd be outnumbered and forced to pretend to like it. :wink:

I've got a This Will Destroy You track on there and Summer '68, maybe he'll like those?

About crowd noise, I've got a track on mine with that, too. Fuck it, it's a good enough track as it is.

Oh, he'll definitely love the Summer '68 inclusion. I'm not sure if he's listened to This Will Destroy You, but I'd bet he'd like it.

You just can't bring the funk as much. :wink:

phanan said:
Agreed. While there are artists that have plenty of incredible songs that weren't hits, like the Stones and Beatles, for others you are most likely going to have some sort of hit single involved. And there is nothing wrong with that - if it's one of the best songs from that artist, then it should be that way.
exactly. i mean, they're hits for a reason. but of course there's overlooked gems that weren't singles for most artists.

and concepts are great, i had one for this tournament, but i don't think they're necessary.

KhanadaRhodes said:

wow, i'm geniunely surprised. i figured my total would be in the 50s.

i actually made myself a spreadsheet at home to keep track of what songs i used when, mainly so i wouldn't use the same songs and risk being disqualified. i wouldn't want to get a playlist done, submit it, and find out after the competition started i'd used a song in the third one or something. which i mean, i wouldn't be pissed if someone pointed it out. i always check that stuff out on my end (for my list i mean), so i'd be like "shit, how did i miss that."

anyway, i think i might look and see what it'd become if i were to submit the fifth list as is. :hmm:

A spreadsheet? You nerd.

KhanadaRhodes said:

exactly. i mean, they're hits for a reason. but of course there's overlooked gems that weren't singles for most artists.

and concepts are great, i had one for this tournament, but i don't think they're necessary.

If the concept's simple and done well, it can really add to the list, but if it's ridiculous, then it comes off as contrived and saccharine. I liked yours and Philly's this time around.

Phanan, your concept was by far my favorite. :wink:

I think the key is that I wrote my playlist concept to the chosen songs. I didn't chose songs for the concept. The concept came after.

LemonMacPhisto said:

If the concept's simple and done well, it can really add to the list, but if it's ridiculous, then it comes off as contrived and saccharine. I liked yours and Philly's this time around.

Phanan, your concept was by far my favorite. :wink:

Oh yes, that was a killer concept, wasn't it?

Hey, I thought the Lobot screenshots were worth a thousand words myself.

I loved the mood of Khan's playlist. While I haven't done anything for the next tournament, it's kind of inspiring me to possibly go that route in some fashion.

phanan said:

Oh yes, that was a killer concept, wasn't it?

Hey, I thought the Lobot screenshots were worth a thousand words myself.

I loved the mood of Khan's playlist. While I haven't done anything for the next tournament, it's kind of inspiring me to possibly go that route in some fashion.

I think we almost made Screwy's head explode in our round.

Lobot for the motherfucking win. It'll compliment my Billy Dee Williams / Colt .45 cover for my DI V list.

Yeah, that was what made it so damn good. I think Khan's, Screwy's, L-Mel's, and yours were the bests at that last time around.

phanan said:
:eek: thanks! i never really explained what the concept was other than a vague livejournal post, but i'm glad you liked it :)

phanan said:

I have the last two playlists I did on Word documents, and how they evolved from the start to the end. So you're not the only one.

That's pretty cool.

I'm really unsure where I'm going with my current list. I've got a lot of different directions I'm trying. I've already come up with the framework for two lists. I honestly think my album listening over the next couple of months will determine this.

I thought I was done with mine, but the last 2 songs need work. The ending is the most important part of any list, I think.

phanan said:
I have the last two playlists I did on Word documents, and how they evolved from the start to the end. So you're not the only one.
:lol: good to see we're both nerds :hi5:

for me, the first disc or whatever i just kind of put together haphazardly. the overall mood of the first disc inspired me to do the second disc, which ended up telling a story. i think, at least.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:lol: good to see we're both nerds :hi5:

for me, the first disc or whatever i just kind of put together haphazardly. the overall mood of the first disc inspired me to do the second disc, which ended up telling a story. i think, at least.

Well, if I go along this route that I'm considering, it would be the most "personal" playlist I've ever done, and at this point, I'm not sure if I want to do that or not.

I'll have to see how it evolves.

Look at that - it's five o'clock somewhere. As in here. :wink:

The ending is the main tone setter in a list. Can't work on mine yet since I don't know how my mood's going to be.

phanan said:
Well, if I go along this route that I'm considering, it would be the most "personal" playlist I've ever done, and at this point, I'm not sure if I want to do that or not.

I'll have to see how it evolves.

Look at that - it's five o'clock somewhere. As in here. :wink:
oooh, interesting. i say you should at least share it with me :wink:

lucky! i'm only half done with my shift :down:

LemonMacPhisto said:
I thought I was done with mine, but the last 2 songs need work. The ending is the most important part of any list, I think.
phillyfan26 said:
The ending is the main tone setter in a list. Can't work on mine yet since I don't know how my mood's going to be.
yeah, i agree with you guys about the ending. the beginning and the ending are the most important songs in the playlist. in theory, i should be able to listen to those two songs and at least get an idea of what it's like.

My list begins one place and ends in a different place. I think I've found a suitable ending, I'll have to try it out and see.

The cover's pretty much done though, if you'd all like to see.

My symphonic did that masterfully, ending with Beginnings. I was so pleased when I came up with that ending. It fit perfectly.

colt45us3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom