Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #796
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Oh, but that's the whole ... what's the term I've heard? "Dixiecrat" or something? People who were Democrat voters until the civil rights movement precipitated a shift to voting Republican in the 1960s and they've just never changed their affiliation.
oh, my grandparents aren't...weren't...lol i dunno what to say since only one of the ones i'm referring to is still alive. anyway, they're not from west virginia. they're originally from maryland. my mom's family is very blue collar and is pretty tolerant of other people and such.

but i know what term you're talking about.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 AM   #797
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Get me some popcorn

Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #798
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
It seems to me a lot of libertarians tend to be extremist idiots who never grew out of the childhood "I DUN WANNA!" attitude. The sort of people who see ANY government as BIG government and throw a hissy fit at even the most sensible things like seatbelt laws.
the seatbelt thing cracks me up. they just need to build a fucking time machine and go back in time to when they weren't mandatory. even ralph nader thinks they're necessary and has since before they were the norm. unsafe at any speed ftw.

and i don't see what's wrong with big government, personally. i like having several programmes and such. now if only we could get healthcare for every citizen like every other first world country...

oh good lord, speaking of libertarians, i just found out the guy i initially supported switched to that party. i had no idea
Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #799
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
fair enough. I felt so awkward listening to him talk cause he just kept going on and it was strange.
he's a strange guy, that's for sure. i'll be seeing him this weekend (lol that makes it sound like we're buddies)
Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #800
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2
Get me some popcorn
just don't post that godawful smilie
Old 05-14-2008, 05:04 AM   #801
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i'll be seeing him this weekend (lol that makes it sound like we're buddies)
You're not?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 AM   #802
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:13 PM
enough politics ! ebay is a calling
Old 05-14-2008, 05:05 AM   #803
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
You're not?
would you believe i've never met any members of the band? not even when they were nobodies back in 01 and had just been dropped by their record label.

of course, i didn't exactly TRY to meet them or anything until 05.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:06 AM   #804
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_jen
enough politics ! ebay is a calling
go bid on my auction
Old 05-14-2008, 05:08 AM   #805
Vocal parasite

Quote:

the seatbelt thing cracks me up. they just need to build a fucking time machine and go back in time to when they weren't mandatory. even ralph nader thinks they're necessary and has since before they were the norm. unsafe at any speed ftw.

and i don't see what's wrong with big government, personally. i like having several programmes and such. now if only we could get healthcare for every citizen like every other first world country...

oh good lord, speaking of libertarians, i just found out the guy i initially supported switched to that party. i had no idea
I'm a social democrat, so I think big government is a damn good idea. I don't see government as a source of authority and domination, but as a source of social benefit - education, healthcare, infrastructure, protecting the rights of the poor and marginalised. Sure, tax is a pain in the arse, but I'd rather pay higher taxes and know my country has a high standard of living accessible for all its citizens than pay lower taxes and know that my country has hideous disparities between the haves and have-nots like the US, or Australia under a Liberal government (and, it seems, Labour governments drifting too close to the centre).

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 05:11 AM   #806
Vocal parasite

Quote:

just don't post that godawful smilie

......... kay.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #807
Vocal parasite

Quote:

would you believe i've never met any members of the band? not even when they were nobodies back in 01 and had just been dropped by their record label.

of course, i didn't exactly TRY to meet them or anything until 05.

I don't even really feel compelled to try to meet any band members. I don't want to just do some quick "hi, you rule, sign my stuff" thing after a gig or whatever. If I meet someone, I want to be able to sit down and have a good chat with them. And that isn't about to happen. But U2 needs a good talking-to about their setlists!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #808
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
I'm a social democrat, so I think big government is a damn good idea. I don't see government as a source of authority and domination, but as a source of social benefit - education, healthcare, infrastructure, protecting the rights of the poor and marginalised. Sure, tax is a pain in the arse, but I'd rather pay higher taxes and know my country has a high standard of living accessible for all its citizens than pay lower taxes and know that my country has hideous disparities between the haves and have-nots like the US, or Australia under a Liberal government (and, it seems, Labour governments drifting too close to the centre).
same here. sure it can be a dominating figure if you elect the wrong people (ahem ahem ahem george w ahem ahem ahem) but when it's right, it's a source of social benefit, like you said. and i do know for things i'd like, such as universal healthcare, they will be paid for by increasing my taxes, but i see it as a benefit regardless. besides, that at least will probably be a wash as i might not need my employer's healthcare plan, which i pay for. and better education, roads, doing more to help the poor, sick, old, all these things just need to be done. they need to be done more. government-run nursing homes are a joke. roads are full of potholes, neighbourhoods have streets with no streetlights. it shouldn't be like this.

and yes, i've heard about the labour party. well actually, are you referring to the australian or uk labour party? because i have heard about the uk's labour party's shift, thanks to tony blair. i've heard about john howard, but looking him up, it looks like he was a member of the liberal party. so i don't know.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #809
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
[B] kay.

note how i edited that shit out?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 AM   #810
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:

But U2 needs a good talking-to about their setlists!
And their choices when it comes to what they do with their albums lately.

Tags
superthread