Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread - Page 49 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 AM   #721
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Do they drive obnoxious, noisy cars and have trouble forming one coherent sentence?
you've been to the south, you tell me

Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 AM   #722
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Definitely. I can't believe some of what I'm reading over there. It's unbelievable. My problem isn't simply the constant debating, which comes with the territory, but the vague callout threads that have the tact and wit of an elementary school bullshitting match.
I struggle to find one thread there about which I give a damn. I think one big indication of how much FYM has gone to shit in the last few months is that the US primaries thread, which used to move quite nicely, is now a ghost town.

I primarily blame FYM's decline on the likes of Indy500, 2861U2, the iron horse, and Strongbow. And I don't mean to say that behind their backs either; I'm just reiterating here what I've said to them in FYM threads before, especially to 2861U2.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #723
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i see no reason for me to post there really, unless i become a mod of the forums. and even then, my posts will consist of telling people to behave.
Why waste the time? I imagine the current mods deal with plenty of shit, like being accused of being partisan. They don't have an enviable task.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 AM   #724
The Male

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Quote:

i agree. i can also imagine you getting suspended over something like that. i try to stay out of fym stuff since i don't mod it.

it's a shame though how politics makes so many people...irrational i guess is a good word. i'm not even naming names in fym. any board i've ever been to where there's a politics forum, it's always like that.

it's much more fun discussing it in person anyway, because the other person/people have to respond to your statements/opinions, unless they want to sit there silently like an idiot. it's not like i stonewall people when debating of course. but i've posted a handful of times this year, and i see no reason for me to post there really, unless i become a mod of the forums. and even then, my posts will consist of telling people to behave.
In some ways, the moderating in that section isn't bad at all or, at least, in the most obvious definition of the word; people rarely break out into namecalling or insults. But it's arguably one of the least fun sections of any forum I've ever been on. You have a fucking word document full of bullet points to support your argument, or you'll be eaten alive instantly.

This is also why I agree with you in that discussing politics in person is way better, because you're not expected to have a link to support each of your points, if you get what I mean.

Now.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 AM   #725
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:19 PM
You know what's even more fun than discussing politics in person?

Not discussing politics
Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #726
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

oooh let me give one example of what i think our version of a bogan is: i went to school with someone who drove a jacked up suv (or maybe it was a truck, i forget. if it was an suv, keep in mind this was before the suv bubble, so only outdoorsy people drove them). he'd brag in class about hitting things - and when i say things, i mean DEER on his way to school. school wasn't in the boondocks. it was in a fairly populous neighbourhood, pretty close to my house. i guess he lived far away. i bet i could guess what city he lived in, i have it narrowed down to two cities

anyway, he would say several times in class (and he meant it) that sweet home alabama should be our nation's anthem. what the fuck. he was in german class with me. what he was doing taking german i don't know. i guess he liked our teacher, who was the soccer coach, but i don't think that fat fuck was in soccer. he was built more like a wrestler, although i don't think he had any muscle. he wasn't like 300 pounds fat, but he was just a bulky guy.

anyway, another example. one of the middle schools i went to here was at the end of a street which had houses too. like two houses down from the school was a house which would always have the confederate flag waving high on its flagpole. and i've seen trucks with it on their back window too. don't even get me started on my hatred of the confederate flag, for several reasons.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #727
The Male

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

Not discussing politics
FTMFW.

Now.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #728
Vocal parasite

Quote:

you've been to the south, you tell me
It seems you guys don't do the boganmobiles, just redneck utes (er, redneck pickup trucks) or cars that are needlessly big and must guzzle shitloads of petrol.

What cracked me up is that in Australia, some carparks will have special smaller carparks just for little cars, while in Franklin, the two main parking buildings had special parks for LARGE vehicles. Way to encourage people buying idiotic and inappropriate vehicles.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #729
Vocal parasite

Quote:
You know what's even more fun than discussing politics in person?

Not discussing politics

Signed,
The PolSci Student

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #730
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 AM
If this were called Bogart Gate, we'd be somewhere else by now.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #731
Blue Crack Supplier

Meanwhile on another forum....one person posts about getting a neck injury playing league and is not able to play again, as well as loss of feeling in three fingers and weakness in his arm.

One reply:

Quote:
On the plus side, you were a pubic hair away from qualifying for the disabled olympics
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #732
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Why waste the time? I imagine the current mods deal with plenty of shit, like being accused of being partisan. They don't have an enviable task.
they do. i've seen it posted before on the forums. there's a liberal bias well sorry guys. the last mod i remember that was conservative was...fuck i forget his name. lol it just went out of my head! but it's someone who was demodded YEARS ago for being a shitty mod. and coincidentally, my ex got banned from the forums for calling said person a cunt although i don't want to dredge up old drama since neither person posts here anymore, i was just mentioning that that's the only conservative mod i can think of that we've ever had.

does that mean there's a liberal bias? no of course not. nor does it mean we think every conservative poster is shitty or not good enough to be a mod. it's just always worked out that way. plus, a good majority of the mods stay away from fym, even before they became mods, so i think for them to say that is unfair.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #733
Vocal parasite

Quote:
oooh let me give one example of what i think our version of a bogan is: i went to school with someone who drove a jacked up suv (or maybe it was a truck, i forget. if it was an suv, keep in mind this was before the suv bubble, so only outdoorsy people drove them). he'd brag in class about hitting things - and when i say things, i mean DEER on his way to school. school wasn't in the boondocks. it was in a fairly populous neighbourhood, pretty close to my house. i guess he lived far away. i bet i could guess what city he lived in, i have it narrowed down to two cities

anyway, he would say several times in class (and he meant it) that sweet home alabama should be our nation's anthem. what the fuck. he was in german class with me. what he was doing taking german i don't know. i guess he liked our teacher, who was the soccer coach, but i don't think that fat fuck was in soccer. he was built more like a wrestler, although i don't think he had any muscle. he wasn't like 300 pounds fat, but he was just a bulky guy.
Yeah, he'd probably fit right in with bogan culture here.

Quote:
anyway, another example. one of the middle schools i went to here was at the end of a street which had houses too. like two houses down from the school was a house which would always have the confederate flag waving high on its flagpole. and i've seen trucks with it on their back window too. don't even get me started on my hatred of the confederate flag, for several reasons.
I think those people just qualify as racist fucks!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 AM   #734
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Signed,
The PolSci Student

I don't mind it in the sense of a passing discussion, but fuck debating that shit.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 AM   #735
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Meanwhile on another forum....one person posts about getting a neck injury playing league and is not able to play again, as well as loss of feeling in three fingers and weakness in his arm.

One reply:

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread