Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This must be Superthread birthday season then: cin today and unless I'm grossly mistaken, Chass tomorrow!

And of course there was that obscure Paul Hewson fellow back on Saturday ...

Good News Week and dinner. :drool:

Have a good rest-of-birthday, cin! And g'morning, PFan! :wave:

mysterious_jen said:

i wanna see buzzers of death again !

:lmao: That was awesome.

I want Ross Noble to be on every week. Toss out Robbins and make Noble a team leader.

belated hey to jen/everyone else.

i decided some time when i'm done with my schoolwork i'll do a folk genre intro, as it seems to be my favorite non-rock type of music, i've realized...i was brought up on folk rather than rock and roll, or folk + beatles...

i dunno if i'm including him, I guess I should but besides Dylan he's the best known. i thought about doing chick folk rock but then i realized i know a shitload about earlier folk...i've clarified over there what i'm doing, as it also is very american.

basically i can do 2 categories:

the first one i thought i should do was chick folk rock, also known as lesbian music. i've pushed some on you - Tracy Chapman, Ani DiFranco, Indigo Girls are better known examples.

Then when I wiki'd folk I realized the main folk music I also grew up with, maybe moreso than the chick music - Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie and the Weavers and Peter Paul and Mary, who are not just folk, but also considered "Protest Music." (workers' rights, anti-vietnam war, anti-mccarthyism)

Basically I can do the Rise Up Singing genre introduction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_Up_Singing

and axver, I think you'll like the political element, though some of the songs are springsteen-like in their "americanness." but you'll at least find it interesting, if not compelling. Folk was basically my introduction to all the bullshit america has pulled. See: Two Good Arms by Charlie King.

shit i can't find it on a lyrics site...

but if you wiki charlie king you'll understand some of how political american folk is. i've seen him perform several times, he's a ton of fun live.

Well, I imagine that if nothing else, I'll appreciate the lyrical content even if I find I'm not into the sound. But I've enjoyed what I've heard of Chapman and DiFranco at least. I can't say Chapman felt terribly folky to me, though.

Right now, I'm procrastinating on a bullshit tutorial presentation I have to do by writing an intro to the Dunedin Sound. Problem is, I'm going to be exhaustive and write more than anybody's ever going to read.

Axver said:
Well, I imagine that if nothing else, I'll appreciate the lyrical content even if I find I'm not into the sound. But I've enjoyed what I've heard of Chapman and DiFranco at least. I can't say Chapman felt terribly folky to me, though.

Right now, I'm procrastinating on a bullshit tutorial presentation I have to do by writing an intro to the Dunedin Sound. Problem is, I'm going to be exhaustive and write more than anybody's ever going to read.

Well if you listen to the samples of Guthrie and Charlie King you'll get an idea of the Protest part of the genre.

You should probably write an abstract if it's going to be long, so it will be useful to people. I can see myself getting exhaustive too, as again, I grew up on folk/protest music. I might even do some wikipedia editing while I'm at it. But even if you do a long thing for the fun of it, you want something accessible for the project.

add simon and garfunkel to the better known on the list. and bruce springsteen did a project with pete seeger's music, and is heavily influenced by seeger and american folk.

Varitek said:
You should probably write an abstract if it's going to be long, so it will be useful to people. I can see myself getting exhaustive too, as again, I grew up on folk/protest music. I might even do some wikipedia editing while I'm at it. But even if you do a long thing for the fun of it, you want something accessible for the project.

Yeah, I've found my first paragraph can really be taken by itself, which is fortunate. But hopefully some people will be interested in more details. Admittedly my passion for all things related to New Zealand history shows here in a big way. Hell, just look at how I introduce it over on RYM (I used this list as a rough template for my current compilation): http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Axver..._for_me__an_introduction_to_the_dunedin_sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom