Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #541
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

It does, and yes, it affects a few of you in a negative way, depending on how many artists you repeated.

Then again, LJT participated in that one, and he blew us all out of the water.
I know I repeated a good few. I imagine my diversity stats still aren't impressive, but I hope it would at least improve with DI I removed.

My current draft DI V list has 14 new artists out of 27 tracks. So I guess par for the course. Diversity isn't really something I think of when I'm making my lists, though. If I have a choice between two songs that sound good together by artists I've used before, or taking out one of them to use a new artist despite it being a forced transition, I'm always going to go with the former.

And some artists are so ridiculously diverse that a track on one list could seem to have no connection to a track on another. I hope nobody baulks when they see Subterranean Masquerade on this list, as Kind Of A Blur is nothing like No Place Like Home. (I actually used Kind Of A Blur in Prog Island, I think, but I'm using it anyway since 1. we can repeat from that, 2. only about five people listened to it so I'd like more people to hear it, and 3. it would be a crime to omit it given my theme.)

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #542
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
The Ground Beneath Her Feet is my track this time. I'm kind of fucking around with the transitions this time. Less emphasis on that, more on the overall playlist and the quality of the songs. I mean, they're not rough, but they're not really really smooth either.
One of my favorite U2 songs. I had it on my DI3 list.

I had some sequences on that list that I thought were fantastic, and one of them included that song.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #543
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Ooh, Rejoice. I like that, and I don't think anybody's used that before. My one hesitation with using ASOH (or UF) is that it's done before and it's almost a cliche U2 choice in DI. But I really can't think of anything better. It's in my top five or six U2 songs and there is little more beautiful than it.
Fuck it, just use it. I'm using Summer '68 as my Floyd track and I know you and L-Mel have already used it. As long as it's used a different way, then what's the big deal?

Yeah, it's used in a section with Yo La Tengo, Bloc Party, Spoon, Super Furry Animals, Broken Social Scene, and Smash Mouth. Yes, Smash Mouth, but not that shitty All-Star song.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #544
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Not much. Then again, Drunk Chicken/America could be your route.
Nah, it's got America in the title. That won't work on an Axver list.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #545
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Yes, Smash Mouth, but not that shitty All-Star song.
You mean it's one of their other shitty songs?

I'll edit this - I actually like Walking On The Sun.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #546
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Our tastes don't match up very well, but we share some common ground. I love how you put your lists together, but it'd be an added bonus to enjoy listening to it.
I remember you made a comment last time about what it might be like if I tried to make a happy tracklist. I don't think I could really do that, as I find a lot of happy music to be fake, insincere, and nauseating, but this is coming pretty damn close in parts. I hope it's something you'll like. I don't want this to be another chore-to-listen-to list.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #547
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Nah, it's got America in the title. That won't work on an Axver list.
That's true. And just to be safe, let's get all the American bands off there, too.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #548
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

That's true. And just to be safe, let's get all the American bands off there, too.
Hold on, though - Axver actually does like some American bands.

But - don't tell anyone.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #549
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I remember you made a comment last time about what it might be like if I tried to make a happy tracklist. I don't think I could really do that, as I find a lot of happy music to be fake, insincere, and nauseating, but this is coming pretty damn close in parts. I hope it's something you'll like. I don't want this to be another chore-to-listen-to list.
I wouldn't want you to make something out of your wheelhouse. I just meant something not terribly depressing. If I like listening to it, your vote will go very far with me, that's for sure.

Quote:

You mean it's one of their other shitty songs?

I'll edit this - I actually like Walking On The Sun.
It's "Satellite," if you've ever heard that one. That and Walkin' on the Sun are part of the few songs of theirs that I enjoy. Plus, the transition between that the 2 tracks around it is pretty solid, methinks.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #550
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Fuck it, just use it. I'm using Summer '68 as my Floyd track and I know you and L-Mel have already used it. As long as it's used a different way, then what's the big deal?

Yeah, it's used in a section with Yo La Tengo, Bloc Party, Spoon, Super Furry Animals, Broken Social Scene, and Smash Mouth. Yes, Smash Mouth, but not that shitty All-Star song.
At this stage, ASOH is fairly essential to the flow in one part, so it's not going anywhere. It's pretty much the only way I can get Goblin Mix's The Water into the tracklist and have a cohesive transition at the end.

It's funny, I'm more wary of the Spoon and BSS tracks than I'd ever be of Smash Mouth.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #551
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's "Satellite," if you've ever heard that one. That and Walkin' on the Sun are part of the few songs of theirs that I enjoy. Plus, the transition between that the 2 tracks around it is pretty solid, methinks.
Don't know it, so maybe I'll be surprised.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #552
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's funny, I'm more wary of the Spoon and BSS tracks than I'd ever be of Smash Mouth.
Spoon blows them away.

BSS on the other hand...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #553
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

At this stage, ASOH is fairly essential to the flow in one part, so it's not going anywhere. It's pretty much the only way I can get Goblin Mix's The Water into the tracklist and have a cohesive transition at the end.

BSS is instrumental and sounds pretty good next to the other 2 tracks.

I'm upping the list soon for Pfan and L-Mel, would you guys want to hear it as well?

Quote:

Don't know it, so maybe I'll be surprised.
Hope so.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #554
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Hold on, though - Axver actually does like some American bands.

But - don't tell anyone.

At least James LaBrie, the vocalist of Dream Theater, is Canadian!

Except ... the Dream Theater track I'm using is instrumental. Woops.

I think the count of American bands at the moment is 6 out of 27. Compare that to 3 for New Zealand - of which one is the forever debated "Kiwi or Aussie?" Crowded House, and another is the "we moved to New York" Bailter Space.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #555
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Spoon blows them away.

BSS on the other hand...
Everything I've heard by Spoon has been agonisingly dull pretentious indie crap. Every time I tried to listen to Kill The Moonlight or whatever it's called, I couldn't do more than three songs in a row.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread