Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #526
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Your opener should be Beautiful Ghost (Introduction to the Songs of Experience)

Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #527
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

Is it similar to the last 4-5 songs of your last list? Aside from some issues, I really dug that.

So it's safe to say that "darkly beautiful" has replaced "atmosphere" as the buzz word this time around?
It's not melancholic like that, but I hope it's as beautiful as Untitled --> Collapse The Light Into Earth is.

I wouldn't say that's the buzz word, since the songs I consider darkly beautiful are close to being on the chopping block! "Beautiful" alone would be the buzz word, I suppose. Basically, one nice evening I was listening to Alcest's Tir Nan Og, which I think is the most beautiful album closer I've ever heard, and decided to make a tracklist to go with it.

I'm listening to the tracklist now, and I'm impressed with the transition between Eluvium's An Accidental Memory In The Cae Of Death and 65daysofstatic's Radio Protector.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #528
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

It's not melancholic like that, but I hope it's as beautiful as Untitled --> Collapse The Light Into Earth is.

I wouldn't say that's the buzz word, since the songs I consider darkly beautiful are close to being on the chopping block! "Beautiful" alone would be the buzz word, I suppose. Basically, one nice evening I was listening to Alcest's Tir Nan Og, which I think is the most beautiful album closer I've ever heard, and decided to make a tracklist to go with it.

I'm listening to the tracklist now, and I'm impressed with the transition between Eluvium's An Accidental Memory In The Cae Of Death and 65daysofstatic's Radio Protector.
So it's more of an uplifting list then?

Cool beans. I always read Alcest as "incest," but I'm a pretty sick fuck.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #529
Vocal parasite

Quote:

The U2 song I've got at the moment is A Sort Of Homecoming. It was a toss-up between it, The Unforgettable Fire, and Bass Trap. It fits sonically better than UF in its current spot, and I feel I've enough instrumentals already without throwing Bass Trap into the mix too.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V is my opener at this stage. Every time I hear the intro, I think of when I first heard it back in September 2003 at about 5:30am, when the dawn was breaking over the northern plains of New South Wales.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #530
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
That whole muttering of poetry over atmosphere really is quite conceptual, too.

It's a winner all around. And it's fucking rare.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #531
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

A Sort of Homecoming's one of my favorite U2 songs - I don't know why I haven't used it in a list yet. I'm using Rejoice this time around. It was between that or When I Look at the World.

Shine On... works

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

It would show your effort, that's for sure.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #532
Vocal parasite

Quote:

So it's more of an uplifting list then?

Cool beans. I always read Alcest as "incest," but I'm a pretty sick fuck.
Yes, I've tried to go for something positive, at least to me. I don't know if that will translate too well for the rest of you lot!

And heh, my mind has always made a similar connection. Like alcest is an even more twisted incest or something. I'd like to know what it actually means. I'm presuming it's French for something, since the guy behind Alcest is French and all the song/album titles and lyrics are in French.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #533
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Is this including stats from the very first edition of DI, where we could use multiple tracks by the same artist? I imagine those of us who competed in that would have weaker diversity percentages as a result.
It does, and yes, it affects a few of you in a negative way, depending on how many artists you repeated.

Then again, LJT participated in that one, and he blew us all out of the water.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #534
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No, actually, I think it's fairly unique as far as my lists go. Lots of post-rock and other instrumental stuff, which might make it a hard sell to some people. The main idea is to use the most beautiful songs I know, though it has evolved and developed since then.
Well, you'll know I'll most likely enjoy that.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #535
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The U2 song I've got at the moment is A Sort Of Homecoming. It was a toss-up between it, The Unforgettable Fire, and Bass Trap. It fits sonically better than UF in its current spot, and I feel I've enough instrumentals already without throwing Bass Trap into the mix too.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V is my opener at this stage. Every time I hear the intro, I think of when I first heard it back in September 2003 at about 5:30am, when the dawn was breaking over the northern plains of New South Wales.
Bass Trap's a good track, but, yeah, you need to know when enough is enough. Like Samuel L. Jackson or NSW. They both knew when enough was enough.

SOYCD is one of my favorite PF tracks.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #536
Vocal parasite

Quote:
A Sort of Homecoming's one of my favorite U2 songs - I don't know why I haven't used it in a list yet. I'm using Rejoice this time around. It was between that or When I Look at the World.
Ooh, Rejoice. I like that, and I don't think anybody's used that before. My one hesitation with using ASOH (or UF) is that it's done before and it's almost a cliche U2 choice in DI. But I really can't think of anything better. It's in my top five or six U2 songs and there is little more beautiful than it.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

It's a shame the 26 December 1989 show isn't officially available, cuz then he could add Where The Streets Have No Name with the poetry at the beginning.

I mean, how much more poetic can you get?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #538
Blue Crack Supplier

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is my track this time. I'm kind of fucking around with the transitions this time. Less emphasis on that, more on the overall playlist and the quality of the songs. I mean, they're not rough, but they're not really really smooth either.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #539
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Yes, I've tried to go for something positive, at least to me. I don't know if that will translate too well for the rest of you lot!

And heh, my mind has always made a similar connection. Like alcest is an even more twisted incest or something. I'd like to know what it actually means. I'm presuming it's French for something, since the guy behind Alcest is French and all the song/album titles and lyrics are in French.
The French are sick anyway. I wouldn't doubt it being the French translation.

Our tastes don't match up very well, but we share some common ground. I love how you put your lists together, but it'd be an added bonus to enjoy listening to it.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #540
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

It's a shame the 26 December 1989 show isn't officially available, cuz then he could add Where The Streets Have No Name with the poetry at the beginning.

I mean, how much more poetic can you get?
Not much. Then again, Drunk Chicken/America could be your route.

Tags
superthread