Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:

I'd have put Vertigo on the album just for the live goodness, and Native Son would have been a semi-regular.

They need me for creative control.

Why do you need Vertigo on the album for live goodness? They could play it anyway. And I don't see how Native Son would be any less live goodness - essentially the same music, better lyrics, and probably better delivery.

Axver said:

I thought the story was that he liked the lyrical theme but didn't think it would work as a single or something?

I'll go look, but somewhere in that EYKIW Native Son thread there's a story along the lines of they were recording it, and Bono just stopped mid-song and goes, "I can't sing this on tour for two year." and that was it.

rihannsu said:

It wasn't the band that changed the lyrics, it was Bono. Lillywhite told the story in several interviews that when he came in to work on the album and had the band set up together in the room to play through what they already had, Bono got 30 seconds into Native Son and came to a screeching halt saying "I can't sing that song for two years on the road." For whatever reason the song no longer worked for Bono with those lyrics and if Bono can't get into the song he can't sing it. After this Edge and the others fiddled with the music a little changing something (I don't remember what Steve said) then Bono came in and improvised on the lyric. Lillywhite also said that the Native Son lyric was a case of Bono trying to write to a specific issue which often comes out forced and doesn't sit well with the music.

Dana

That was easier to find then I thought it would be :shifty:

bono_212 said:

I'll go look, but somewhere in that EYKIW Native Son thread there's a story along the lines of they were recording it, and Bono just stopped mid-song and goes, "I can't sing this on tour for two year." and that was it.

And yet he can sing vapid nonsense like "hello, hello, I'm at a place called vertigo" or "I and I/in the sky/you make me feel like I can fly/so high"?

What a dick.

bono_212 said:

That was easier to find then I thought it would be :shifty:

I wonder how much of that is spin, given it's coming from someone who could never criticise U2 no matter how badly they fuck up.

Axver said:
Yeah. And even if your taxes do go up, the personal cost to you overall will go down. That's what people don't look at. With such a vast pool of tax income funding the system, it reduces the costs to everyone since you aren't paying huge private premiums for services you MAY need but probably WON'T use. It's not run for profit, but for cost-recovery. I think it is nauseating that things such as healthcare and public transport are hocked off to the private sector and run for profit when they should be run as a service aimed at cost recovery.

Howard was Liberal, who are our right wing dumbfucks (though not nearly as extreme as your Republicans) who are socially conservative, focus solely on the economic short term, and basically don't like anybody who isn't upper class and white. Labour here, as in the UK, has tended towards the centre and our Prime Minister is the leader of the centrist faction. I can deal with it, as I know they're not going to fuck over the less fortunate too much, but it's still not as good as the social democrat faction leading like it used to.

Fuck the right wing. If we listened to them, society wouldn't have made it to the Enlightenment.
exactly. even if it doesn't seem like it right away, all these services will help in the long run. for example, if they increased taxes to improve the roads? well, then you wouldn't have to replace your shocks as often, you probably wouldn't have to do other maintenance either such as front end alignment, and tire rotations, as smooth roads would lead to more even tire wear.

ahh, i see. that sounds pretty fucked up.

Axver said:

I wonder how much of that is spin, given it's coming from someone who could never criticise U2 no matter how badly they fuck up.

Would require tracking down the lillywhite quotes I spose.

KhanadaRhodes said:

exactly. even if it doesn't seem like it right away, all these services will help in the long run. for example, if they increased taxes to improve the roads? well, then you wouldn't have to replace your shocks as often, you probably wouldn't have to do other maintenance either such as front end alignment, and tire rotations, as smooth roads would lead to more even tire wear.

ahh, i see. that sounds pretty fucked up.

Up taxes to build some commuter railway lines and you won't even need to use your car as much, thus saving even more money on maintenance AND having nicer, less beaten-and-worn roads when you do drive. Oh yeah, and taxes for roads would be lowered as a consequence since there would be less need for maintenance.

:wink:

bono_212 said:

Would require tracking down the lillywhite quotes I spose.

I'll buy the basic story, but even in Lillywhite's case, he probably wants to talk up his own work rather than the stuff tossed out in favour of the sessions with him!

Axver said:

I'll buy the basic story, but even in Lillywhite's case, he probably wants to talk up his own work rather than the stuff tossed out in favour of the sessions with him!

:crack: Yeah didn't think about that, obviously that makes sense.

Who was the original producer of Bomb anyways? I wasn't a superhuge fan at that point in time, and I missed the drama, wtf happened?

Axver said:
Up taxes to build some commuter railway lines and you won't even need to use your car as much, thus saving even more money on maintenance AND having nicer, less beaten-and-worn roads when you do drive. Oh yeah, and taxes for roads would be lowered as a consequence since there would be less need for maintenance.

:wink:
:up: exactly. although i don't know how something like that might benefit me as i live out in the suburbs and work about five minutes from where i live. but if they did such a thing, i'd definitely use it.

bono_212 said:

:crack: Yeah didn't think about that, obviously that makes sense.

Who was the original producer of Bomb anyways? I wasn't a superhuge fan at that point in time, and I missed the drama, wtf happened?

Chris Thomas was the original producer. Evidently the band and him just didn't get on or something and he was sent packing.

If I wanna go see Tom Petty, BY MYSELF, I'm going to have to pay around $150-200...I don't know if I like him enough to do that...but I did pay $100 to see Bruce, and I paid....:shifty: $250 a apiece for my mom and I to see U2...

Axver said:

Chris Thomas was the original producer. Evidently the band and him just didn't get on or something and he was sent packing.

Do you have any idea how much of the stuff that wasn't released (Smile, Native Son, etc.) was written with him? Or was mostly all of it Lillywhite? Just for curiosities sake.

Axver said:
that's crazy. he's worked with some great artists, including their peers. inxs, for one. i'll admit, that's how i first heard of him.

bono_212 said:
If I wanna go see Tom Petty, BY MYSELF, I'm going to have to pay around $150-200...I don't know if I like him enough to do that...but I did pay $100 to see Bruce, and I paid....:shifty: $250 a apiece for my mom and I to see U2...
good lord how times have changed. although the closest i would've come to seeing tom petty was back in...81 i think it was?...when split enz of all people opened for him when they toured here in support of the waiata album.

they (split enz) headlined in canada, btw. just to give an idea of how different the two bordering countries were even back then in terms of music.

and i've never paid that much for a concert ticket! :yikes:

KhanadaRhodes said:

:up: exactly. although i don't know how something like that might benefit me as i live out in the suburbs and work about five minutes from where i live. but if they did such a thing, i'd definitely use it.

Well, it could potentially directly benefit you, if it were built on the route of your journey. But indirectly, it would get cars off the streets, reducing your travel time and reducing wear and tear on the road so that you get a nicer drive that's easier on your car.

Axver said:
Well, it could potentially directly benefit you, if it were built on the route of your journey. But indirectly, it would get cars off the streets, reducing your travel time and reducing wear and tear on the road so that you get a nicer drive that's easier on your car.
hehe yeah, i just meant benefit as in me being able to use it. but if there was a route that went there, i'd use it. might as well.

KhanadaRhodes said:

good lord how times have changed. although the closest i would've come to seeing tom petty was back in...81 i think it was?...when split enz of all people opened for him when they toured here in support of the waiata album.

they (split enz) headlined in canada, btw. just to give an idea of how different the two bordering countries were even back then in terms of music.

That U2 situation was...my own fault, damn if I had only realized that St. Louis was just as far away as Cleveland, I could've seen them for nearly face value, but I took my mom for Christmas, and she had the time of her life, so that's...what's important I spose *triestoforgetthe$500*

bono_212 said:

Do you have any idea how much of the stuff that wasn't released (Smile, Native Son, etc.) was written with him? Or was mostly all of it Lillywhite? Just for curiosities sake.

I think Smile was with Lillywhite; if memory serves correctly, it's one of the last songs they came up with.

But things like Native Son and the alternate versions of ABOY, Yahweh, and SYCMIOYO were with Chris Thomas.

bono_212 said:
That U2 situation was...my own fault, damn if I had only realized that St. Louis was just as far away as Cleveland, I could've seen them for nearly face value, but I took my mom for Christmas, and she had the time of her life, so that's...what's important I spose *triestoforgetthe$500*
:hug:

KhanadaRhodes said:

The most I've ever paid to see a band is $106, for Dream Theater.

KhanadaRhodes said:

hehe yeah, i just meant benefit as in me being able to use it. but if there was a route that went there, i'd use it. might as well.

Make them build a local tram network for you. You've got some Melbourne trams there already. :wink:

Axver said:

I think Smile was with Lillywhite; if memory serves correctly, it's one of the last songs they came up with.

But things like Native Son and the alternate versions of ABOY, Yahweh, and SYCMIOYO were with Chris Thomas.

I haven't heard any of the alt. versions (HTDAAB hasn't exactly got me excited to hear other material from the era) but from what I've heard about them, and based on Native Son, that REALLY sucks.

Were the Alt. Versions released? If they were, coupled with the fact that Native Son was, it almost makes me wonder if it wasn't a unanimous decision to scrap the Thomas material then, and someone at least wanted it all out there :shrug: That's a 5:00AM conspiracy theory for you.

KhanadaRhodes said:

proof U2 have no taste.

Yes, though the alternate SYCMIOYO was absolute SHIT, one of the very worst U2 songs ever.

The Sad Punk said:
Is it cool that I've kind of been observing the conversation but haven't found an opening or reason to come into it?

That was a good one...the whole, writing about having nothing to write? clever :wink:

Axver said:
The most I've ever paid to see a band is $106, for Dream Theater.
i think the most i ever paid is right around there for duran duran. i don't remember what U2's ticket prices are even like these days because i didn't pay for my vertigo ticket. and popmart was pretty cheap, like $50? kinda made up for the fact that i had nosebleed seats :cool: but then again i was also 14 and didn't even have my first job yet :(

everyone else has been right around $50 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom