Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
The Republican primaries were settled a while ago, when McCain got an unassailable lead over Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee.
don't forget ron paul. romney and huckabee dropped out, but ron paul is still in the running :rolleyes: but he has so few votes he won't get the nomination obviously. and besides, he's more libertarian than anything, even though he's on the ticket as republican.

mysterious_jen said:

BRING BACK JEFF.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

i cried the day he was voted out.

Oh God, Jen. He's the primary reason this state's about to go down to the tubes. The way he fucked up infrastructure just leaves me gobsmacked. I mean, I've seen incompetent infrastructural management, but this is easily top five material.

And I don't say that out of any bullshit pro-rail sentiment. I don't do the politics of sentiment.

KhanadaRhodes said:

don't forget ron paul. romney and huckabee dropped out, but ron paul is still in the running :rolleyes: but he has so few votes he won't get the nomination obviously. and besides, he's more libertarian than anything, even though he's on the ticket as republican.

I love how some people actually took his candidacy seriously. And now he says withdrawing will confuse his supporters or something. Just how dumb are his supporters?!

mysterious_jen said:
i didnt think they would be too keen to vote for her .

if she drops out do they stop all this fucking state by state shit ?
i know, i guess it was the lesser of two evils. southerners are generally more racist than sexist.

you know, i don't know. i know you need a certain number of votes to get your party's nomination, but i don't know how that'd work if you're running unopposed. i'm sure you'd win the nomination by default. i can't see why they'd make people vote anyway, that'd be silly.

KhanadaRhodes said:

it must've been hard for them to choose a woman over a black person. i mean, her place is in the kitchen, right? :tsk:

i'm surprised people didn't vote for john edwards out of principle, since he was the only candidate left who was a white man until he dropped out.

I'm surprised they're even Democrats. You'd think they'd be more at home in the Republican Party.

Axver said:
I love how some people actually took his candidacy seriously. And now he says withdrawing will confuse his supporters or something. Just how dumb are his supporters?!
i know, that's stupid. i know so many people who are supporting him, and it's stupid. first, i knew he'd never get far in the election. secondly, the whole libertarian party thing amuses me greatly. libertarian is just a fancy term for young people who are really republicans but don't want to label themselves as such because they think republicans are stuffy old rich people like their parents. but they see themselves as cool young tech-savvy kids who stray from the norm. while 95% of kids in college vote democratic, we're gonna vote libertarian!
wtc.gif

Axver said:
I'm surprised they're even Democrats. You'd think they'd be more at home in the Republican Party.
i know. my grandmother is a registered democrat, i wonder who she would've voted for in the primary if she still lived in west virginia (which is highly unlikely, as she moved to maryland a few years ago once her husband's health failed and then moved in with us when he died).

KhanadaRhodes said:

i know. my grandmother is a registered democrat, i wonder who she would've voted for in the primary if she still lived in west virginia (which is highly unlikely, as she moved to maryland a few years ago once her husband's health failed and then moved in with us when he died).

Oh, but that's the whole ... what's the term I've heard? "Dixiecrat" or something? People who were Democrat voters until the civil rights movement precipitated a shift to voting Republican in the 1960s and they've just never changed their affiliation.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i know, that's stupid. i know so many people who are supporting him, and it's stupid. first, i knew he'd never get far in the election. secondly, the whole libertarian party thing amuses me greatly. libertarian is just a fancy term for young people who are really republicans but don't want to label themselves as such because they think republicans are stuffy old rich people like their parents. but they see themselves as cool young tech-savvy kids who stray from the norm. while 95% of kids in college vote democratic, we're gonna vote libertarian!
wtc.gif

See: the iron horse.

It seems to me a lot of libertarians tend to be extremist idiots who never grew out of the childhood "I DUN WANNA!" attitude. The sort of people who see ANY government as BIG government and throw a hissy fit at even the most sensible things like seatbelt laws.

Axver said:

Oh God, Jen. He's the primary reason this state's about to go down to the tubes. The way he fucked up infrastructure just leaves me gobsmacked. I mean, I've seen incompetent infrastructural management, but this is easily top five material.

And I don't say that out of any bullshit pro-rail sentiment. I don't do the politics of sentiment.

nope nope nope. he fixed this state so labor could run it into the fucking ground again like always. and now they will do it to the whole country. i am too scared to even check what the budget has in store now.

KhanadaRhodes said:

lol, yes and yes. he's got an awesome speaking voice, but he loves to ramble.

fair enough. I felt so awkward listening to him talk cause he just kept going on and it was strange.

mysterious_jen said:

nope nope nope. he fixed this state so labor could run it into the fucking ground again like always. and now they will do it to the whole country. i am too scared to even check what the budget has in store now.

Yes, Kennett's idea of shutting down infrastructure or selling it off to private interests who just want to milk it for short-term profit while running it into the ground is fantastic. Follow that policy and enjoy your over-crowded, potholed roads. Meanwhile, I'll move somewhere populated by forward-thinkers.

Axver said:
Oh, but that's the whole ... what's the term I've heard? "Dixiecrat" or something? People who were Democrat voters until the civil rights movement precipitated a shift to voting Republican in the 1960s and they've just never changed their affiliation.
oh, my grandparents aren't...weren't...lol i dunno what to say since only one of the ones i'm referring to is still alive. anyway, they're not from west virginia. they're originally from maryland. my mom's family is very blue collar and is pretty tolerant of other people and such.

but i know what term you're talking about.

Axver said:
It seems to me a lot of libertarians tend to be extremist idiots who never grew out of the childhood "I DUN WANNA!" attitude. The sort of people who see ANY government as BIG government and throw a hissy fit at even the most sensible things like seatbelt laws.
the seatbelt thing cracks me up. they just need to build a fucking time machine and go back in time to when they weren't mandatory. even ralph nader thinks they're necessary and has since before they were the norm. unsafe at any speed ftw.

and i don't see what's wrong with big government, personally. i like having several programmes and such. now if only we could get healthcare for every citizen like every other first world country...

oh good lord, speaking of libertarians, i just found out the guy i initially supported switched to that party. i had no idea :lol:

KhanadaRhodes said:

the seatbelt thing cracks me up. they just need to build a fucking time machine and go back in time to when they weren't mandatory. even ralph nader thinks they're necessary and has since before they were the norm. unsafe at any speed ftw.

and i don't see what's wrong with big government, personally. i like having several programmes and such. now if only we could get healthcare for every citizen like every other first world country...

oh good lord, speaking of libertarians, i just found out the guy i initially supported switched to that party. i had no idea :lol:

I'm a social democrat, so I think big government is a damn good idea. I don't see government as a source of authority and domination, but as a source of social benefit - education, healthcare, infrastructure, protecting the rights of the poor and marginalised. Sure, tax is a pain in the arse, but I'd rather pay higher taxes and know my country has a high standard of living accessible for all its citizens than pay lower taxes and know that my country has hideous disparities between the haves and have-nots like the US, or Australia under a Liberal government (and, it seems, Labour governments drifting too close to the centre).

KhanadaRhodes said:

would you believe i've never met any members of the band? not even when they were nobodies back in 01 and had just been dropped by their record label.

of course, i didn't exactly TRY to meet them or anything until 05.

:lol:

I don't even really feel compelled to try to meet any band members. I don't want to just do some quick "hi, you rule, sign my stuff" thing after a gig or whatever. If I meet someone, I want to be able to sit down and have a good chat with them. And that isn't about to happen. But U2 needs a good talking-to about their setlists!

Axver said:
I'm a social democrat, so I think big government is a damn good idea. I don't see government as a source of authority and domination, but as a source of social benefit - education, healthcare, infrastructure, protecting the rights of the poor and marginalised. Sure, tax is a pain in the arse, but I'd rather pay higher taxes and know my country has a high standard of living accessible for all its citizens than pay lower taxes and know that my country has hideous disparities between the haves and have-nots like the US, or Australia under a Liberal government (and, it seems, Labour governments drifting too close to the centre).
same here. sure it can be a dominating figure if you elect the wrong people (ahem ahem ahem george w ahem ahem ahem) but when it's right, it's a source of social benefit, like you said. and i do know for things i'd like, such as universal healthcare, they will be paid for by increasing my taxes, but i see it as a benefit regardless. besides, that at least will probably be a wash as i might not need my employer's healthcare plan, which i pay for. and better education, roads, doing more to help the poor, sick, old, all these things just need to be done. they need to be done more. government-run nursing homes are a joke. roads are full of potholes, neighbourhoods have streets with no streetlights. it shouldn't be like this.

and yes, i've heard about the labour party. well actually, are you referring to the australian or uk labour party? because i have heard about the uk's labour party's shift, thanks to tony blair. i've heard about john howard, but looking him up, it looks like he was a member of the liberal party. so i don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom