Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMelon said:

Definitely. I can't believe some of what I'm reading over there. It's unbelievable. My problem isn't simply the constant debating, which comes with the territory, but the vague callout threads that have the tact and wit of an elementary school bullshitting match.

I struggle to find one thread there about which I give a damn. I think one big indication of how much FYM has gone to shit in the last few months is that the US primaries thread, which used to move quite nicely, is now a ghost town.

I primarily blame FYM's decline on the likes of Indy500, 2861U2, the iron horse, and Strongbow. And I don't mean to say that behind their backs either; I'm just reiterating here what I've said to them in FYM threads before, especially to 2861U2.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i see no reason for me to post there really, unless i become a mod of the forums. and even then, my posts will consist of telling people to behave.

Why waste the time? I imagine the current mods deal with plenty of shit, like being accused of being partisan. They don't have an enviable task.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i agree. i can also imagine you getting suspended over something like that. i try to stay out of fym stuff since i don't mod it.

it's a shame though how politics makes so many people...irrational i guess is a good word. i'm not even naming names in fym. any board i've ever been to where there's a politics forum, it's always like that.

it's much more fun discussing it in person anyway, because the other person/people have to respond to your statements/opinions, unless they want to sit there silently like an idiot. it's not like i stonewall people when debating of course. but i've posted a handful of times this year, and i see no reason for me to post there really, unless i become a mod of the forums. and even then, my posts will consist of telling people to behave.

In some ways, the moderating in that section isn't bad at all or, at least, in the most obvious definition of the word; people rarely break out into namecalling or insults. But it's arguably one of the least fun sections of any forum I've ever been on. You have a fucking word document full of bullet points to support your argument, or you'll be eaten alive instantly.

This is also why I agree with you in that discussing politics in person is way better, because you're not expected to have a link to support each of your points, if you get what I mean. :wink:

oooh let me give one example of what i think our version of a bogan is: i went to school with someone who drove a jacked up suv (or maybe it was a truck, i forget. if it was an suv, keep in mind this was before the suv bubble, so only outdoorsy people drove them). he'd brag in class about hitting things - and when i say things, i mean DEER on his way to school. school wasn't in the boondocks. it was in a fairly populous neighbourhood, pretty close to my house. i guess he lived far away. i bet i could guess what city he lived in, i have it narrowed down to two cities :rolleyes:

anyway, he would say several times in class (and he meant it) that sweet home alabama should be our nation's anthem. what the fuck. he was in german class with me. what he was doing taking german i don't know. i guess he liked our teacher, who was the soccer coach, but i don't think that fat fuck was in soccer. he was built more like a wrestler, although i don't think he had any muscle. he wasn't like 300 pounds fat, but he was just a bulky guy.

anyway, another example. one of the middle schools i went to here was at the end of a street which had houses too. like two houses down from the school was a house which would always have the confederate flag waving high on its flagpole. and i've seen trucks with it on their back window too. don't even get me started on my hatred of the confederate flag, for several reasons.

KhanadaRhodes said:

you've been to the south, you tell me :wink:

It seems you guys don't do the boganmobiles, just redneck utes (er, redneck pickup trucks) or cars that are needlessly big and must guzzle shitloads of petrol.

What cracked me up is that in Australia, some carparks will have special smaller carparks just for little cars, while in Franklin, the two main parking buildings had special parks for LARGE vehicles. Way to encourage people buying idiotic and inappropriate vehicles. :|

Meanwhile on another forum....one person posts about getting a neck injury playing league and is not able to play again, as well as loss of feeling in three fingers and weakness in his arm.

One reply:

On the plus side, you were a pubic hair away from qualifying for the disabled olympics

Axver said:
Why waste the time? I imagine the current mods deal with plenty of shit, like being accused of being partisan. They don't have an enviable task.
they do. i've seen it posted before on the forums. there's a liberal bias :rolleyes: well sorry guys. the last mod i remember that was conservative was...fuck i forget his name. lol it just went out of my head! but it's someone who was demodded YEARS ago for being a shitty mod. and coincidentally, my ex got banned from the forums for calling said person a cunt :giggle: although i don't want to dredge up old drama since neither person posts here anymore, i was just mentioning that that's the only conservative mod i can think of that we've ever had.

does that mean there's a liberal bias? no of course not. nor does it mean we think every conservative poster is shitty or not good enough to be a mod. it's just always worked out that way. plus, a good majority of the mods stay away from fym, even before they became mods, so i think for them to say that is unfair.

KhanadaRhodes said:
oooh let me give one example of what i think our version of a bogan is: i went to school with someone who drove a jacked up suv (or maybe it was a truck, i forget. if it was an suv, keep in mind this was before the suv bubble, so only outdoorsy people drove them). he'd brag in class about hitting things - and when i say things, i mean DEER on his way to school. school wasn't in the boondocks. it was in a fairly populous neighbourhood, pretty close to my house. i guess he lived far away. i bet i could guess what city he lived in, i have it narrowed down to two cities :rolleyes:

anyway, he would say several times in class (and he meant it) that sweet home alabama should be our nation's anthem. what the fuck. he was in german class with me. what he was doing taking german i don't know. i guess he liked our teacher, who was the soccer coach, but i don't think that fat fuck was in soccer. he was built more like a wrestler, although i don't think he had any muscle. he wasn't like 300 pounds fat, but he was just a bulky guy.

Yeah, he'd probably fit right in with bogan culture here.

anyway, another example. one of the middle schools i went to here was at the end of a street which had houses too. like two houses down from the school was a house which would always have the confederate flag waving high on its flagpole. and i've seen trucks with it on their back window too. don't even get me started on my hatred of the confederate flag, for several reasons.

I think those people just qualify as racist fucks!

coolian2 said:
Meanwhile on another forum....one person posts about getting a neck injury playing league and is not able to play again, as well as loss of feeling in three fingers and weakness in his arm.

One reply:

:lmao:

LemonMelon said:
In some ways, the moderating in that section isn't bad at all or, at least, in the most obvious definition of the word; people rarely break out into namecalling or insults. But it's arguably one of the least fun sections of any forum I've ever been on. You have a fucking word document full of bullet points to support your argument, or you'll be eaten alive instantly.

This is also why I agree with you in that discussing politics in person is way better, because you're not expected to have a link to support each of your points, if you get what I mean. :wink:
yeah, i agree. if you post a concise post saying why you feel why you do, you risk getting a ton of posts calling you a moron since you didn't link any sources or whatever.

since when is it about facts? when i post, i post my opinion. even in there. i never state my posts are fact, unless it's about me which is of course implied. unless i provide a link, which is rare. but i don't want to write a research paper every time i want to post in that forum. even to be less strawman about it, i don't want to troll the internet looking for a story or two (cuz god forbid you'd link to some news source that's not so reputable, how am i supposed to know what uk news sources are good and what aren't, i don't live there!) every time i post about something.

You know what Australia's national anthem should be? Waltzing Matilda. It's better than Advance Australia Fair!

The jokes from us Kiwis would be endless.

Axver said:
It seems you guys don't do the boganmobiles, just redneck utes (er, redneck pickup trucks) or cars that are needlessly big and must guzzle shitloads of petrol.

What cracked me up is that in Australia, some carparks will have special smaller carparks just for little cars, while in Franklin, the two main parking buildings had special parks for LARGE vehicles. Way to encourage people buying idiotic and inappropriate vehicles. :|
if by the obnoxious, noisy cars you mean like a coupe that sounds like shit, we get that here too. i just call those things shitboxes. they sound like they're falling apart. although to avoid sounding racist, it's usually blacks or hispanics driving them. and even though we have inspection here every year (memphis is horrible in terms of car pollution), most have expired tags because you know they failed inspection.

yet they pull people over for going 31 in a 30 zone :|

really? i've never seen separate lots anywhere around here (or nashville!) for larger cars. the closest i've ever seen, and i've seen this ever since i was a kid, is tiny ass spaces marked "compact cars only." the funny thing about that? i drive a compact and i'm not sure i'd want to park in one, but the hotel we always stay at in nashville has a spot designated as such, and there is ALWAYS an suv crammed in there. :| sure, you're really fucking compact. :|

Here's part of another post that would have gotten me suspended or worse. I won't give out the name of the thread this was supposed to be for, or who it's directed to but, rest assured, they deserved this. And I have nothing at all against atheists. Not a damn thing. But this guy was just trying to push my buttons for the sake of it:

Yeah, you're an atheist. How fucking brilliant of you. I have a cookie nearby that you can have if you want it. But you're clearly not sharp enough to figure out that no one here really gives a damn what you think about anything, nor will we ever. Make no mistake, even if I were an atheist, this thread would be a complete waste of time and I would treat it as such.

KhanadaRhodes said:

they do. i've seen it posted before on the forums. there's a liberal bias :rolleyes:

I honestly don't see any bias in the current modding. yolland in particular is absolutely exceptional. Anybody who's calling the FYM modding biased is clearly somebody who knows they're in the wrong but can't admit it.

well sorry guys. the last mod i remember that was conservative was...fuck i forget his name. lol it just went out of my head! but it's someone who was demodded YEARS ago for being a shitty mod. and coincidentally, my ex got banned from the forums for calling said person a cunt :giggle: although i don't want to dredge up old drama since neither person posts here anymore, i was just mentioning that that's the only conservative mod i can think of that we've ever had.

:lol: I don't suppose that was someone called Spanish Eyes or something like that? That's a wild stab in the dark, as I never knew them (so it fits with your "doesn't post anymore" thing), but I recall reading that they'd pushed for The Goal Is Soul and modded it initially, which possibly baseless stereotypes tell me would be far more likely to be done by someone on the right.

Axver said:
Yeah, he'd probably fit right in with bogan culture here.
he probably hates australia because of "that guy with the alligators" or whatever ignorant thing he'd say :rolleyes: people like him is why i'd never want to go to a high school reunion.

I think those people just qualify as racist fucks!
seriously. i look at it like this. the confederacy ceased to exist in 1865 when they lost the civil war. that's 143 years these rednecks have been going around with these dumb flags. i don't know if it's southern pride or what, but it's insulting to me because it's idiots like them that'll make us never be able to get past any intolerance (yeah i know calling them racist isn't tolerant either, lol), what with them walking around calling blacks niggers and such. or locking their doors if they see a black person standing on the street corner when they're at a traffic light. WHY YES, HE'S STANDING THERE BECAUSE HE'S WAITING TO CARJACK SOMEONE! AND HE WANTS ALL 500 OTHER CARS TO GET A GOOD LONG LOOK AT HIM SO THEY CAN BE YOUR EYEWITNESS!! :rolleyes: dumbasses.

btw, i saw a bumper sticker once in high school that said "you lost. get over it!" with a confederate flag on it. it cracked me up! i wanted to get one too for my car but i was afraid someone would vandalize it. "ain't no bitch gonna tell me what ta believe in!" :rolleyes:

KhanadaRhodes said:

if by the obnoxious, noisy cars you mean like a coupe that sounds like shit, we get that here too. i just call those things shitboxes. they sound like they're falling apart.

:lol: No, not quite like that. To me, a boganmobile is a fairly bulky car from the 1960s-70s with a loud motor, two exhausts, a bass-heavy soundsystem, and driven by a twat with a mullet drinking VB and singing along out-of-tune with AC/DC. The kind of dickheads who think it's real fucking cool and manly to do burnouts at the lights or whatever.

really? i've never seen separate lots anywhere around here (or nashville!) for larger cars. the closest i've ever seen, and i've seen this ever since i was a kid, is tiny ass spaces marked "compact cars only." the funny thing about that? i drive a compact and i'm not sure i'd want to park in one, but the hotel we always stay at in nashville has a spot designated as such, and there is ALWAYS an suv crammed in there. :| sure, you're really fucking compact. :|

Typical. And yeah, if I remember correctly, it was the bottom level of the main parking buildings, they were set aside specifically for stupidly large vehicles. Idiots who buy SUVs to take their kids to school. Keeping in mind Franklin's an affluent town chock-full of idiots with too much money to spend on cars too big for practical use, I suppose it isn't a shock.

KhanadaRhodes said:
btw, i saw a bumper sticker once in high school that said "you lost. get over it!" with a confederate flag on it. it cracked me up! i wanted to get one too for my car but i was afraid someone would vandalize it. "ain't no bitch gonna tell me what ta believe in!" :rolleyes:

:laugh:

KhanadaRhodes said:

:laugh: That's hysterical! I can hardly believe those even exist.

The people that shunned Obama in the polls today...I know them, and live among them. They have the worst accent imaginable and are indeed racist fucks by and large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom