Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

I've only heard one NMH song; didn't see what the fuss is all about as it sounded pretty silly.

Spoon just seemed to be pointless bullshit for indie kids who want to pretend they're listening to something meaningful. Perhaps 'pretentious' was the wrong word, but I got the feeling that if you went to one of their concerts, 9 out of 10 people would be irritatingly pretentious indie rock fans.

I disagree about the "meaningful" point, since it seems they make music for the sake of having a good time - not terrible self-important.

The fans themselves may be pretentious, but you can't fault the band for that.

phillyfan26 said:

Really? What was different?

Different arrangement (less funk at the beginning, for instance), stronger ending, about half of the songs were switched out.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I disagree about the "meaningful" point, since it seems they make music for the sake of having a good time - not terrible self-important.

The fans themselves may be pretentious, but you can't fault the band for that.

I can't think of a more "looser" album over the last year than Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. You can't listen to that and think they didn't have a good time fucking around on that one.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Different arrangement (less funk at the beginning, for instance), stronger ending, about half of the songs were switched out.

That big of a change? Wow.

bono_man2002 said:
I'm so sick of work!, and need a change! I think I need to be lazy and go to Uni. I've actually been looking up some courses.

Ax, you could probably help me out. I know I fall under the "non-year 12 applicant" thingy.....I just wonder if it would be harder for me to get in.

I believe it depends on how long you have been out of high school. If your ENTER score is within a certain bracket (I've heard three years, but don't quote me on that), they'll take you on that. However, I expect you might have to sit some sort of exam - even if your ENTER score will be taken, that is probably a good idea anyway if you think you can improve on your ENTER. My friend in Queensland sat the exam as his OP (Queensland's ENTER) was shit; he blitzed the exam and got into uni.

I applied as non-year 12 when I came down to Melbourne, but of course I was coming out of my first year of uni in Queensland, so all they wanted was my OP and my first year results. Different context.

phanan said:

I can't think of a more "looser" album over the last year than Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. You can't listen to that and think they didn't have a good time fucking around on that one.

Exactly. "Don't Make Me a Target" was my Spoon pick this time around.

Yeah, apart from the funk choices, I definitely downgraded my own list with excessive tampering.

Goin' to Bowie. :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Their idea of a good time must be radically different to mine, as Kill The Moonlight is one of the most dull listening experiences I've ever heard. It plods and drags and goes nowhere.

Calling an album Ga Ga Ga Ga immediately puts me off.

phanan said:

It's probably pepokiss changing his vote each round just to piss people off.

:laugh:

pedokiss's idea of strategy is ... bizarre, to say the least. I love that whenever anybody calls him on it, he just responds with something implying we're taking the game too seriously. No, it's not that, it's just that his conclusions aren't logical!

phillyfan26 said:
My original opener was a PT track, but now it's an EITS track.

I'm very close to not having a PT track at all.

Axver said:

I believe it depends on how long you have been out of high school. If your ENTER score is within a certain bracket (I've heard three years, but don't quote me on that), they'll take you on that. However, I expect you might have to sit some sort of exam - even if your ENTER score will be taken, that is probably a good idea anyway if you think you can improve on your ENTER. My friend in Queensland sat the exam as his OP (Queensland's ENTER) was shit; he blitzed the exam and got into uni.

I applied as non-year 12 when I came down to Melbourne, but of course I was coming out of my first year of uni in Queensland, so all they wanted was my OP and my first year results. Different context.

I believe the RMIT site says, basically If I'm over 21 or over by Jan 1st of my starting year the enter and everything is not taken into account. I think I have to explain why I want do the course in essay format, and then have an interview.

Media Communications has interested me the most so far....but I have a lot to sort out before anything becomes serious.

Thanks Ax.

Axver said:

Their idea of a good time must be radically different to mine, as Kill The Moonlight is one of the most dull listening experiences I've ever heard. It plods and drags and goes nowhere.

Calling an album Ga Ga Ga Ga immediately puts me off.

Coming from the prog rock guy... :wink:

You're missing the fith Ga, by the way. Stop being such a bogan.

Last edited:
bono_man2002 said:

I believe the RMIT site says, basically If I'm over 21 or over by Jan 1st of my starting year the enter and everything is not taken into account.

Media Communications has interested me the most so far....but I have a lot to sort out before anything becomes serious.

Thanks Ax.

That sounds familiar. Even if your ENTER is valid, though, I highly recommend sitting the mature age entrance exam, whatever it's called. It will almost certainly boost your chances. It's more recent, which works in your favour, and odds are you'll get a better result on it than your ENTER.

Also, don't go to Melbourne University. The Melbourne Model will just fuck you around. I'm so glad I avoided that, but all new intake gets shunted into that piece of crap.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Coming from the prog rock guy... :wink:

You're missing the fith Ga, by the way. Stop being such a bogan.

:lol:

At least prog rock musicians can play their instruments.

Axver, there's a Kiwi band you should check out: Flight of the Conchords. They're kind of folky, but they really tackle the important issues. Children on the street with guns and knives, for example.

Axver said:

That sounds familiar. Even if your ENTER is valid, though, I highly recommend sitting the mature age entrance exam, whatever it's called. It will almost certainly boost your chances. It's more recent, which works in your favour, and odds are you'll get a better result on it than your ENTER.

Also, don't go to Melbourne University. The Melbourne Model will just fuck you around. I'm so glad I avoided that, but all new intake gets shunted into that piece of crap.

My original enter was worse than the Ga Ga Ga Ga album. If thats any indication. I'll be back tonight working out stuff at home.

see you guys then :wave:

Exactly on the note about EYKIW having sanity...:tsk:

And Simon LeBon (Spelling? Duran Duran guy) just sang Take Me Out to the Ball Game during the Cubs 7th Inning Stretch...it just proved that NO one can sing that song and sound good :lol:

Axver said:

:lol:

At least prog rock musicians can play their instruments.

Hey now. The guy from Spoon can slap his bass like some delirious, funky priest.

But to each their own.

phillyfan26 said:
Axver, there's a Kiwi band you should check out: Flight of the Conchords. They're kind of folky, but they really tackle the important issues. Children on the street with guns and knives, for example.

Of course he'd know, he's Murray.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Hey now. The guy from Spoon can slap his bass like some delirious, funky priest.

But to each their own.

And he can see around corners.

phillyfan26 said:

Har har. I've heard of them.

phillyfan26 said:

:yes: oh the virtues of this band. I've learned so much from them.

Who likes to rock the party?

I've got a song of theirs on my list, hopefully it'll be a good sampler for you guys.

bono_man2002 said:

My original enter was worse than the Ga Ga Ga Ga album. If thats any indication. I'll be back tonight working out stuff at home.

see you guys then :wave:

:lol: In that case, DEFINITELY sit the exam!

Have a good one! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom