Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

It does, and yes, it affects a few of you in a negative way, depending on how many artists you repeated.

Then again, LJT participated in that one, and he blew us all out of the water.

I know I repeated a good few. I imagine my diversity stats still aren't impressive, but I hope it would at least improve with DI I removed.

My current draft DI V list has 14 new artists out of 27 tracks. So I guess par for the course. Diversity isn't really something I think of when I'm making my lists, though. If I have a choice between two songs that sound good together by artists I've used before, or taking out one of them to use a new artist despite it being a forced transition, I'm always going to go with the former.

And some artists are so ridiculously diverse that a track on one list could seem to have no connection to a track on another. I hope nobody baulks when they see Subterranean Masquerade on this list, as Kind Of A Blur is nothing like No Place Like Home. (I actually used Kind Of A Blur in Prog Island, I think, but I'm using it anyway since 1. we can repeat from that, 2. only about five people listened to it so I'd like more people to hear it, and 3. it would be a crime to omit it given my theme.)

phillyfan26 said:
The Ground Beneath Her Feet is my track this time. I'm kind of fucking around with the transitions this time. Less emphasis on that, more on the overall playlist and the quality of the songs. I mean, they're not rough, but they're not really really smooth either.

One of my favorite U2 songs. I had it on my DI3 list.

I had some sequences on that list that I thought were fantastic, and one of them included that song.

Axver said:

Ooh, Rejoice. I like that, and I don't think anybody's used that before. My one hesitation with using ASOH (or UF) is that it's done before and it's almost a cliche U2 choice in DI. But I really can't think of anything better. It's in my top five or six U2 songs and there is little more beautiful than it.

Fuck it, just use it. I'm using Summer '68 as my Floyd track and I know you and L-Mel have already used it. As long as it's used a different way, then what's the big deal?

Yeah, it's used in a section with Yo La Tengo, Bloc Party, Spoon, Super Furry Animals, Broken Social Scene, and Smash Mouth. Yes, Smash Mouth, but not that shitty All-Star song.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Our tastes don't match up very well, but we share some common ground. I love how you put your lists together, but it'd be an added bonus to enjoy listening to it. :up:

I remember you made a comment last time about what it might be like if I tried to make a happy tracklist. I don't think I could really do that, as I find a lot of happy music to be fake, insincere, and nauseating, but this is coming pretty damn close in parts. I hope it's something you'll like. I don't want this to be another chore-to-listen-to list.

phanan said:

Nah, it's got America in the title. That won't work on an Axver list.

That's true. And just to be safe, let's get all the American bands off there, too.

Axver said:

I remember you made a comment last time about what it might be like if I tried to make a happy tracklist. I don't think I could really do that, as I find a lot of happy music to be fake, insincere, and nauseating, but this is coming pretty damn close in parts. I hope it's something you'll like. I don't want this to be another chore-to-listen-to list.

I wouldn't want you to make something out of your wheelhouse. I just meant something not terribly depressing. If I like listening to it, your vote will go very far with me, that's for sure.

phanan said:

You mean it's one of their other shitty songs?

I'll edit this - I actually like Walking On The Sun.

It's "Satellite," if you've ever heard that one. That and Walkin' on the Sun are part of the few songs of theirs that I enjoy. Plus, the transition between that the 2 tracks around it is pretty solid, methinks.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Fuck it, just use it. I'm using Summer '68 as my Floyd track and I know you and L-Mel have already used it. As long as it's used a different way, then what's the big deal?

Yeah, it's used in a section with Yo La Tengo, Bloc Party, Spoon, Super Furry Animals, Broken Social Scene, and Smash Mouth. Yes, Smash Mouth, but not that shitty All-Star song.

At this stage, ASOH is fairly essential to the flow in one part, so it's not going anywhere. It's pretty much the only way I can get Goblin Mix's The Water into the tracklist and have a cohesive transition at the end.

It's funny, I'm more wary of the Spoon and BSS tracks than I'd ever be of Smash Mouth.

LemonMacPhisto said:
It's "Satellite," if you've ever heard that one. That and Walkin' on the Sun are part of the few songs of theirs that I enjoy. Plus, the transition between that the 2 tracks around it is pretty solid, methinks.

Don't know it, so maybe I'll be surprised.

Axver said:

At this stage, ASOH is fairly essential to the flow in one part, so it's not going anywhere. It's pretty much the only way I can get Goblin Mix's The Water into the tracklist and have a cohesive transition at the end.

It's funny, I'm more wary of the Spoon and BSS tracks than I'd ever be of Smash Mouth.

BSS is instrumental and sounds pretty good next to the other 2 tracks.

I'm upping the list soon for Pfan and L-Mel, would you guys want to hear it as well?

phanan said:

Don't know it, so maybe I'll be surprised.

Hope so.

phanan said:

Hold on, though - Axver actually does like some American bands.

But :shh: - don't tell anyone.

:lol:

At least James LaBrie, the vocalist of Dream Theater, is Canadian!

Except ... the Dream Theater track I'm using is instrumental. Woops.

I think the count of American bands at the moment is 6 out of 27. Compare that to 3 for New Zealand - of which one is the forever debated "Kiwi or Aussie?" Crowded House, and another is the "we moved to New York" Bailter Space.

phanan said:

Spoon blows them away.

BSS on the other hand...

Everything I've heard by Spoon has been agonisingly dull pretentious indie crap. Every time I tried to listen to Kill The Moonlight or whatever it's called, I couldn't do more than three songs in a row.

Explosions in the Sky make an appearance here?

Axver said:

Everything I've heard by Spoon has been agonisingly dull pretentious indie crap. Every time I tried to listen to Kill The Moonlight or whatever it's called, I couldn't do more than three songs in a row.

What's your definition of pretentious? To me, Neutral Milk Hotel and bands of that ilk are pretentious as shit. Spoon, however, is a pretty laid back and fun band who don't take themselves too seriously.

Axver said:

:lol:

At least James LaBrie, the vocalist of Dream Theater, is Canadian!

Except ... the Dream Theater track I'm using is instrumental. Woops.

I think the count of American bands at the moment is 6 out of 27. Compare that to 3 for New Zealand - of which one is the forever debated "Kiwi or Aussie?" Crowded House, and another is the "we moved to New York" Bailter Space.

6, eh?

:hmm:

EITS
Eluvium
Russian Circles

There's half probably.

LemonMacPhisto said:

BSS is instrumental and sounds pretty good next to the other 2 tracks.

I'm upping the list soon for Pfan and L-Mel, would you guys want to hear it as well?

Ah, that might make it worthwhile then. It's their vocals that I can't stand.

And sure, I'll give it a go.

phanan said:

6, eh?

:hmm:

EITS
Eluvium
Russian Circles

There's half probably.

EITS and Eluvium, yes. No Russian Circles yet, though I imagine that the final version will have Versus somewhere if 1. I can fit it and 2. I don't think it's too much post-rock.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I wouldn't want you to make something out of your wheelhouse. I just meant something not terribly depressing. If I like listening to it, your vote will go very far with me, that's for sure.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't know about the polar ice caps melting.

Amsterdam. Venice. New York. Venice. New York.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Don't send it to me for now. I'd rather listen to it when the competition is upon us, so I can compare everything at the same time.

Besides, you might make some changes between now and July.

Axver said:

EITS and Eluvium, yes. No Russian Circles yet, though I imagine that the final version will have Versus somewhere if 1. I can fit it and 2. I don't think it's too much post-rock.

I made that post while forgetting your Dream Theater remarks, so there's another one.

phanan said:

Don't send it to me for now. I'd rather listen to it when the competition is upon us, so I can compare everything at the same time.

Besides, you might make some changes between now and July.

That's cool.

I'm not touching my list at all. I made that mistake with my last one and turned in something lesser than what I originally had because of my musical OCD.

LemonMacPhisto said:
What's your definition of pretentious? To me, Neutral Milk Hotel and bands of that ilk are pretentious as shit. Spoon, however, is a pretty laid back and fun band who don't take themselves too seriously.

I've only heard one NMH song; didn't see what the fuss is all about as it sounded pretty silly.

Spoon just seemed to be pointless bullshit for indie kids who want to pretend they're listening to something meaningful. Perhaps 'pretentious' was the wrong word, but I got the feeling that if you went to one of their concerts, 9 out of 10 people would be irritatingly pretentious indie rock fans.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's cool.

I'm not touching my list at all. I made that mistake with my last one and turned in something lesser than what I originally had because of my musical OCD.

Really? What was different?

Hello ladies and gents, and convertables?

I'm so sick of work!, and need a change! I think I need to be lazy and go to Uni. I've actually been looking up some courses.

Ax, you could probably help me out. I know I fall under the "non-year 12 applicant" thingy.....I just wonder if it would be harder for me to get in.

carry on

phanan said:

No, One Tree Hill must win if EYKIW has any shred of sanity left.

Interesting to note in this current round that The Fly has a vote while OTH doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom