Bogan Gate, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bogan sounds like a woodland creature, perhaps one from Lord of the Rings.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm cool with Minnewanka. :up:

When can we do Sheboygan, Wisconsin?

Ha, yes, let's use that sometime too. I suppose we need to push things to a new thread first, which doesn't seem to be happening in any terrible hurry. Funny how the threads with the lewdest names move the fastest ...

LemonMacPhisto said:

Thought that too. Maybe Ryan's clubbing friend in The Office was a Bogan.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Sounds about right, since a bogan probably has the intelligence of your average woodland scavenger creature ...

It's because everyone likes having a fun, sexy time.

Ax, I'd also like to let you know that one of the working titles for my DI V list was "Axver, Don't Even Bother." It's changed since then, but I figured you should know.

Have you started on yours?

phillyfan26 said:

Thought that too. Maybe Ryan's clubbing friend in The Office was a Bogan.

A coke-dealing bogan, not too uncommon in the American northeast.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Ax, I'd also like to let you know that one of the working titles for my DI V list was "Axver, Don't Even Bother." It's changed since then, but I figured you should know.

Have you started on yours?

:lol:

Yeah, mine's actually nearly complete. I'm hoping it's one that might appeal to more than one or two people this time. Looking at it on paper, I feel like there should still be work to do, but listening to it, I think it feels very close to finished.

Axver said:

Yeah, mine's actually nearly complete. I'm hoping it's one that might appeal to more than one or two people this time. Looking at it on paper, I feel like there should still be work to do, but listening to it, I think it feels very close to finished.

That's good to hear, as long as you're happy with it. I'm glad how mine's turned out - wonder how it'll be criticized this time around.

Pretty similar to your DI 2 list then?

LemonMacPhisto said:

That's good to hear, as long as you're happy with it. I'm glad how mine's turned out - wonder how it'll be criticized this time around.

Too few soundtracks. You're just trying to make a list to please people. It's not you.

LemonMacPhisto said:

No, actually, I think it's fairly unique as far as my lists go. Lots of post-rock and other instrumental stuff, which might make it a hard sell to some people. The main idea is to use the most beautiful songs I know, though it has evolved and developed since then.

Axver said:

No, actually, I think it's fairly unique as far as my lists go. Lots of post-rock and other instrumental stuff, which might make it a hard sell to some people. The main idea is to use the most beautiful songs I know, though it has evolved and developed since then.

Oh, okay. If there are less death growls, more post-rock, then I may like it this time around. :up:

Not that it should matter, anyway.

Last edited:
No death metal at all, this time around. :ohmy:

I initially had a softer Agalloch song there, which I think is very darkly beautiful, but it got cut because it didn't fit with the other handful of darkly beautiful songs I'm using (which themselves may still be cut) and was pushing my list way past the time restriction.

Axver said:
No death metal at all, this time around. :ohmy:

I initially had a softer Agalloch song there, which I think is very darkly beautiful, but it got cut because it didn't fit with the other handful of darkly beautiful songs I'm using (which themselves may still be cut) and was pushing my list way past the time restriction.

Is it similar to the last 4-5 songs of your last list? Aside from some issues, I really dug that.

So it's safe to say that "darkly beautiful" has replaced "atmosphere" as the buzz word this time around?

Your opener should be Beautiful Ghost (Introduction to the Songs of Experience)

LemonMacPhisto said:

Is it similar to the last 4-5 songs of your last list? Aside from some issues, I really dug that.

So it's safe to say that "darkly beautiful" has replaced "atmosphere" as the buzz word this time around?

It's not melancholic like that, but I hope it's as beautiful as Untitled --> Collapse The Light Into Earth is.

I wouldn't say that's the buzz word, since the songs I consider darkly beautiful are close to being on the chopping block! "Beautiful" alone would be the buzz word, I suppose. Basically, one nice evening I was listening to Alcest's Tir Nan Og, which I think is the most beautiful album closer I've ever heard, and decided to make a tracklist to go with it.

I'm listening to the tracklist now, and I'm impressed with the transition between Eluvium's An Accidental Memory In The Cae Of Death and 65daysofstatic's Radio Protector.

Axver said:

It's not melancholic like that, but I hope it's as beautiful as Untitled --> Collapse The Light Into Earth is.

I wouldn't say that's the buzz word, since the songs I consider darkly beautiful are close to being on the chopping block! "Beautiful" alone would be the buzz word, I suppose. Basically, one nice evening I was listening to Alcest's Tir Nan Og, which I think is the most beautiful album closer I've ever heard, and decided to make a tracklist to go with it.

I'm listening to the tracklist now, and I'm impressed with the transition between Eluvium's An Accidental Memory In The Cae Of Death and 65daysofstatic's Radio Protector.

So it's more of an uplifting list then?

Cool beans. I always read Alcest as "incest," but I'm a pretty sick fuck.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The U2 song I've got at the moment is A Sort Of Homecoming. It was a toss-up between it, The Unforgettable Fire, and Bass Trap. It fits sonically better than UF in its current spot, and I feel I've enough instrumentals already without throwing Bass Trap into the mix too.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V is my opener at this stage. Every time I hear the intro, I think of when I first heard it back in September 2003 at about 5:30am, when the dawn was breaking over the northern plains of New South Wales.

LemonMacPhisto said:

That whole muttering of poetry over atmosphere really is quite conceptual, too.

It's a winner all around. And it's fucking rare.

A Sort of Homecoming's one of my favorite U2 songs - I don't know why I haven't used it in a list yet. I'm using Rejoice this time around. It was between that or When I Look at the World.

Shine On... works :up:

phillyfan26 said:

It would show your effort, that's for sure.

LemonMacPhisto said:

So it's more of an uplifting list then?

Cool beans. I always read Alcest as "incest," but I'm a pretty sick fuck.

Yes, I've tried to go for something positive, at least to me. I don't know if that will translate too well for the rest of you lot!

And heh, my mind has always made a similar connection. Like alcest is an even more twisted incest or something. I'd like to know what it actually means. I'm presuming it's French for something, since the guy behind Alcest is French and all the song/album titles and lyrics are in French.

Axver said:

Is this including stats from the very first edition of DI, where we could use multiple tracks by the same artist? I imagine those of us who competed in that would have weaker diversity percentages as a result.

It does, and yes, it affects a few of you in a negative way, depending on how many artists you repeated.

Then again, LJT participated in that one, and he blew us all out of the water.

Axver said:

Well, you'll know I'll most likely enjoy that.

Axver said:

The U2 song I've got at the moment is A Sort Of Homecoming. It was a toss-up between it, The Unforgettable Fire, and Bass Trap. It fits sonically better than UF in its current spot, and I feel I've enough instrumentals already without throwing Bass Trap into the mix too.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V is my opener at this stage. Every time I hear the intro, I think of when I first heard it back in September 2003 at about 5:30am, when the dawn was breaking over the northern plains of New South Wales.

Bass Trap's a good track, but, yeah, you need to know when enough is enough. Like Samuel L. Jackson or NSW. They both knew when enough was enough.

SOYCD is one of my favorite PF tracks.

LemonMacPhisto said:
A Sort of Homecoming's one of my favorite U2 songs - I don't know why I haven't used it in a list yet. I'm using Rejoice this time around. It was between that or When I Look at the World.

Ooh, Rejoice. I like that, and I don't think anybody's used that before. My one hesitation with using ASOH (or UF) is that it's done before and it's almost a cliche U2 choice in DI. But I really can't think of anything better. It's in my top five or six U2 songs and there is little more beautiful than it.

phillyfan26 said:

It's a shame the 26 December 1989 show isn't officially available, cuz then he could add Where The Streets Have No Name with the poetry at the beginning.

I mean, how much more poetic can you get?

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is my track this time. I'm kind of fucking around with the transitions this time. Less emphasis on that, more on the overall playlist and the quality of the songs. I mean, they're not rough, but they're not really really smooth either.

Axver said:

Yes, I've tried to go for something positive, at least to me. I don't know if that will translate too well for the rest of you lot!

And heh, my mind has always made a similar connection. Like alcest is an even more twisted incest or something. I'd like to know what it actually means. I'm presuming it's French for something, since the guy behind Alcest is French and all the song/album titles and lyrics are in French.

The French are sick anyway. I wouldn't doubt it being the French translation.

Our tastes don't match up very well, but we share some common ground. I love how you put your lists together, but it'd be an added bonus to enjoy listening to it. :up:

phanan said:

It's a shame the 26 December 1989 show isn't officially available, cuz then he could add Where The Streets Have No Name with the poetry at the beginning.

I mean, how much more poetic can you get?

Not much. Then again, Drunk Chicken/America could be your route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom