Bob Dylan v. Lou Reed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dano

The Fly
Both are talented song-writers, both have influenced Bono and the band. Who do you prefer?

Me, I take Dylan. Reed sometimes is just a little too out there for me...

Bob Dylan probably.

It's not like I really listen to either of them that much.

As Martha said, they are so different from each other. And I like them both too! :D
Bob Dylan is a poet in the original sense of the word. He plays with language, using metaphores, abstract it, etc. At times he even writes impressionistic (Tangled Up In Blue is a good example of that). While this creates some wonderful songs, at times you really wonder what he's trying to say in certain songs. This should of course not prevent someone from enjoying it, but it may cause someone not open him/herself fully to the song.

Lou Reed on the other hand is a street poet. His language is from the street. There's no flowery beating around the bush, it is clear what the words mean. Here you can really see the influence of Delmore Schwartz (try to find his story In Dreams Begin Responsibilities and see how he can tell a great and moving story in 7 pages). As a result, Lou's songs are easier to get into (lyrically speaking). His gift is that he leaves out all the unnecessary stuff, so you keep captivated by his stories.

Now, as to which one I prefer, I can't say. I may listen a bit more to some Dylan records, but to me Lou Reed has written the greatest song ever (Magic And Loss from his Magic & Loss album). Both are superb lyricists, although coming from completely different directions.
No, choosing one would be unfair to the other. I take both!

:)

Marty

I have only recently gotten into Lou Reed (and the Velvet Underground) and have liked his work a lot more than anyhting by Bob Dylan. I picked up Transforme ron a trip to vegas this summer and listened to it almost the entire time i was there. It was a brilliant album, so I am going to go against the flow and pick Lou Reed on this one

Popmartijn said:
As Martha said, they are so different from each other. And I like them both too! :D
Bob Dylan is a poet in the original sense of the word. He plays with language, using metaphores, abstract it, etc. At times he even writes impressionistic (Tangled Up In Blue is a good example of that). While this creates some wonderful songs, at times you really wonder what he's trying to say in certain songs. This should of course not prevent someone from enjoying it, but it may cause someone not open him/herself fully to the song.

Lou Reed on the other hand is a street poet. His language is from the street. There's no flowery beating around the bush, it is clear what the words mean. Here you can really see the influence of Delmore Schwartz (try to find his story In Dreams Begin Responsibilities and see how he can tell a great and moving story in 7 pages). As a result, Lou's songs are easier to get into (lyrically speaking). His gift is that he leaves out all the unnecessary stuff, so you keep captivated by his stories.

Now, as to which one I prefer, I can't say. I may listen a bit more to some Dylan records, but to me Lou Reed has written the greatest song ever (Magic And Loss from his Magic & Loss album). Both are superb lyricists, although coming from completely different directions.
No, choosing one would be unfair to the other. I take both!

:)

Marty

Nice post. Just about says it all. :up:

I know Dylan is a better lyric writer, but I listen to Lou Reed way more than Dylan. I think it must by the nasal quality to Dylan's voice - it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. I know Reed's hardly a great singer either, but there's just something so friggin' cool about his voice.

Sorry about that post, didn't mean to send it incomplete, so here is the rest of it. I like some of Lou's songs but, to me Dylan is just so much better. It's like some of the music and lyrics were written by kids. He also seems to sing about the same thing: drugs. I also don't like the attitude he gives off. It's like he's too cool for anybody (Andy Warhol and Nico gave it off to). Dylan did'nt like it either. It is rumored that "Like A Rolling Stone" was written about Edie Sedgwick who was part of Andy Warhol's crowd. She was the subject of an emotional tug of war between the Dylan camp and the Warhol camp. The "Napoleon in rags " is rumored to be Warhol.

please dont think i live under a rock, but any suggestions for my first Dylan album? or song? i've been hearling a lota bout him lately and i want to know why everyone likes him so much.

XHendrix24 said:
They're both good. But in the end, I've got to go with Reed over Dylan.

Because Dylan didn't write "Heroin." :yes:

Dylan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lou >>Me>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Recent Bono:wink:

"In a little hilltop village, they gambled for my clothes
I bargained for salvation an' they gave me a lethal dose.
I offered up my innocence and got repaid with scorn.
"Come in," she said,
"I'll give you shelter from the storm."

tuwie said:
please dont think i live under a rock, but any suggestions for my first Dylan album? or song? i've been hearling a lota bout him lately and i want to know why everyone likes him so much.

Well, he made numerous classic albums, so it's best to start with either Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde or Blood On The Tracks. Of his more recent work Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind are the most interesting. However, with these you have to appreciate his voice, which is an acquired taste nowadays.
I'd say that for a starter you can't go wrong with either of his Sixties classic trilogy: Bringing It All Back Home (which has Subterranean Homesick Blues, Maggie's Farm and Mr. Tambourine Man), Highway 61 Revisited (which has Like A Rolling Stone, Ballad Of A Thin Man and Desolation Row) or Blonde On Blonde (rock's first double album, with Rainy Day Women Nos. 12 & 35, I Want You and Visions Of Johanna).

Have fun!

bob dylan, for me, is too great to describe with words

like u2 & radiohead are for me, dylan is too

i dont know exactly what it is about his music & his words...but i just cant get enough

"too much is not enough"

and yeah it's been some time that his voice has become an acquired taste, but ive learned to accept it and love it

i would put bob dylan above the beatles in their time

Just stumbled on this thread. Lou Reed is great, I love Transformer especially. But I don't think he is in the same galaxy as Dylan. The stuff that man can fit into one song could fill several television mini-series.

To summarize....

Tangled Up In Blue > Lou Reed's career

Back
Top Bottom